Vixen 3.0 Enttec Open DMX Output Module

I suppose I really should have held off on my pull request until someone tests this DLL, it's easy enough to make changes though.

All good -- I haven't pulled anything yet, I haven't had a chance to sit down in code for a while. Actually, at this rate (with family stuff going on, my own show, christmas parties and BBQs, etc.) I don't if I will for the rest of the year!

But when I do, I'll just grab whatever is latest in your branch, whatever you've pushed up there. So no biggie.

seems to work as good as other one did, but only time will tell about the memory leak I was seeing. i'll let it run a few days and see how it goes. Vixen still won't close out when i do a shutdown from within vixen, but not sure if thats your plugin or not causing that..

Vixen still won't close out when i do a shutdown from within vixen, but not sure if thats your plugin or not causing that..

Are you able to make a bug for that in the tracker, and add your system config files, etc.? That way we can try to reproduce it.

seems to work as good as other one did, but only time will tell about the memory leak I was seeing. i'll let it run a few days and see how it goes. Vixen still won't close out when i do a shutdown from within vixen, but not sure if thats your plugin or not causing that..

Hmm, I couldn't reproduce the bug on my system. But I don't have the hardware so that's not saying much. I did add one thing that may fix it though. At least closing the program means you're done using Vixen for the moment anyways lol.

Admittedly I'm feeling a tad "off" modifying code I didn't write from scratch - these bugs are stuff I should've caught right off the bat. Though a lot of my recent coding has been with microcontrollers and FPGAs.

Attachments

• OpenDMX.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 32
Hmm, I couldn't reproduce the bug on my system. But I don't have the hardware so that's not saying much. I did add one thing that may fix it though. At least closing the program means you're done using Vixen for the moment anyways lol.

Admittedly I'm feeling a tad "off" modifying code I didn't write from scratch - these bugs are stuff I should've caught right off the bat. Though a lot of my recent coding has been with microcontrollers and FPGAs.

Hey we all have to learn, right? !

I have learned alot in the past few months working on this year's display. It's been fun!

I'll give new library a try tonight and see how it goes. I think mem leak is fixed though. .Had vixen open since Sunday night on schedule, and hasn't gone over about 180mb of ram use, so good work there!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like it's still doing it, but I wouldn't spend anymore time on it. It could even be a vixen bug causing the thread not to exit properly. You fixed the memory leak, so I can trust it to run on it's own without intervention, and if I have to shut it down like you said, it means I wanted to anyway, so I just remember to kill task, lol. If I still notice it after next vixen update, i'll log a bug for it. Definitely a very small issue!

I'm not having the same luck with an LED16DMX controller....

Emulates and works with the OPEN DMX driver in Vixen 2, but in 3 (with original or any version in this awesome learning thread) it's a no-go...

If someone else is using V3 and has it working, I'd LOVE for you to PM me. I have a very modest show, only 1000 LED's in a few hand-made displays on my apartment deck :)

Thank you anyone in advance!

Hmm, any of the versions in this thread are most likely out of date and wouldn't work properly. There is an OpenDMX module included with the recent builds/releases (eg. 3.0.8): are you able to test them at all? Do they work for you? If not, what problems are you having?

I was able to try to test ;)

The included version in 3.0.6, 3.0.7 and 3.0.8.21 versions do not work, sadly.

Version 2.1.1.0 works like a charm!

It would be nice to work in the new version - the feel of it is very nice, along with the UI!

I have been a music producer for many years and am right at home with V3 :)

Thank you in advance!

(Sorry for the late reply, just getting my head out of a tough manual Halloween sequence!) :)

*** UPDATE ***

Going through the nightlies right now, starting with the nosebleed, working with my way back :)

3.0.9.8 (in progress)

*** UPDATE 2 ***

Confirmed all listed versions 3.0.9.X don't seem to work

The controller is resetting and clearing the channels on V3 load, but channels are not being updated as a sequence is played

Thank you anyone for looking at this :)

Last edited:
Another update:

I went ahead and installed 64bit (yes, I am 64bit) latest release and cleared ALL logs.

Verified Vixen 2.X works PERFECTLY with the module, rebooted.

Verified Vixen 2.X works again, rebooted...

Tried latest x64 3.0.9 and nothing... Module initializes and no communications.

Verified the following logs:

Error.log:
===================================================
11/05/2013 00:18:19 [Vixen.Sys.Modules] Loader exception:
Could not load type 'Vixen.Sys.Log' from assembly 'Vixen, Version=3.0.9.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Info.log:
11/05/2013 00:18:15 [Vixen.Sys.VixenSystem] Vixen System starting up...
11/05/2013 00:18:25 [Vixen.Sys.State.Execution.OpeningState] Vixen execution engine entering the open state...
11/05/2013 00:18:25 [Vixen.Sys.State.Execution.OpenState] Vixen execution engine entered the open state.
11/05/2013 00:18:25 [Vixen.Sys.VixenSystem] Vixen System successfully started.

Open DMX Output module (OpenDMX.dll) is v1.5 by ChillOutDocDoc (thank you very much) (7911568a-8eda-4d1d-9e72-be41d7a843e4)

DMX output is as follows:
Update time for all elements: 0 ms
Update time for all contexts: 0 ms
Output device sleep time (actual) [Open DMX Output]: 30 ms
Output device refresh rate [Open DMX Output]: 32.71 Hz
Output device update time [Open DMX Output]: 0 ms

Switching back to Vixen 2.1.1.0 the LED16DMX box works perfectly with Entec Open DMX...

Halloween with manual triggers, and sequencing with relays and literally everything run physically was fun, albeit not as amazing as Vixen would have made it, but looking forward to hearing back!

Thank you all for your amazing help!

Thanks for the info. I'll post it to the dev group, and see if anyone can have a look at those modules. I don't have hardware or know anything of those controllers, unfortunately. :-(

Cheers,
Michael

Can you tell me the name of the module that you are using in vixen 2.1.1.0. I do not see a Entec Open DMX module I see the following:

DMX-512.dll
DMXUSBPro.dll
IDMX.dll

Thanks,

Tony

DMX-512.dll is titled "Enttec Open DMX" within the Vixen GUI...

I suppose the writer could have called it anything :D

Details as follows:
==============================================================
S t r i n g F i l e I n f o ð  0 0 0 0 0 4 b 0
F i l e D e s c r i p t i o n 0
F i l e V e r s i o n 2 . 1 . 0 . 0 8
I n t e r n a l N a m e D M X - 5 1 2 . d l l l
L e g a l C o p y r i g h t C o p y r i g h t ( c ) 2 0 0 5 - 2 0 0 9 , K . C . O a k s @  O r i g i n a l F i l e n a m e D M X - 5 1 2 . d l l
P r o d u c t N a m e V i x e n 4
P r o d u c t V e r s i o n 2 . 1 . 0 . 0 8
A s s e m b l y V e r s i o n 2 . 1 . 0 . 0
==============================================================

c:\Users\KC\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Vixen\Plugins\Output\DMX-512\DMX-512\obj\MCD\Debug\DMX-512.pdb (as listed in the DLL)

I hope this helps!

Anybody ever get this to work?

If I follow the instructions Vixen 3 will stop when I try to configure the controller with a run-time error. If I remove the .DLL it will run.

I am trying to use a ActiDongle with Vixen with no luck. I can't get any Enttec controller to list in Vixen 3.

I do see the "Enttec Open DMX" module but when I try to assign a COM port, it says "nothing to configure". Don't I need to assign it a COM port for it to recognize the dongle?

Last edited:
OK, I figured it out. Add the controller. Quit Vixen. Go back in then assign it's COM port and then is should work. It does for me.

After downloading and installing Vixen 3.1u1 64 I have trouble to get the Entec Open DMX USB controller to work.
I have read all the posts on this thread an trying the various OpenDMX.dll, I decide to download the master branch from github.
After debugging a while I saw that the FT_Open() (line 75) of the start() method returns an status of FT_OK, but the returned handle is invalid for an 64bit system.
You could see this when its used first at initOpenDMX(). The returned status is FT_INVALID_HANDLE.

I could be an improvement when the returned status will be examined and an exception where raised.
The problem may reported in the log files.

I circumvent my problem (I am new to Vixen) when uninstalling the 64 bit version on my 64 bit system and install the 32 bit version.
The Open DMX USB controller works fine.

If I could help with coding, let me know how I can contribute.

Happy Lightning :)

Thanks for the info. You can log issues like this at bugs.vixenlights.com so they are captured and given a chance to get into the next release. If you want to contribute, you can do so as all of Vixen3 is open. You will need to create a fork of the sall/vixen branch, make your changes (one feature/fix per branch), check in the changes and enter a pull request. You can request to join the Vixen development forum on google groups if you have additional questions.

Ed

Much of this thread is pretty old. Many users are using the opendmx module with no problems currently. I just did a mockup a few days ago for another user and it worked fine. Do you have the correct drivers installed? I think it's the d2xx package or something like that.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you ebrady and Jon!

Just to prove the hint from Jon I've updated my FTDI driver from version 2.10.0.0 up to 2.12.0.0.
The same behavior as before.

I use the 32 version so far. It seems to work fine.
I will further investigate the potential problem. When I have new information, I will let you know.

Back