Vixen 3.8 released

jchuchla

Supporting Member
Vixen 3.8 has been released.

This version has a number of small improvements to existing effects as well as adding a new Chevron effect. A number of bugs were also fixed and the core behind the scenes libraries have been updated.

This version may not seem like a lot, but we've also been working hard on some other functionality behind the scenes. Namely support for Moving Heads (aka DMX fixtures). We didn't feel that those features have been tested thoroughly enough yet to include in the release, but we're getting close. You can expect those features to be in the upcoming dev builds and may even make it into the minor version releases yet this year. Stay tuned for some exciting news about moving heads in the near future.

Here's the release notes for the 3.8 release.

Improvement
[VIX-2944] - Allow users to animate Morph effect shapes that enter and exit the display element
[VIX-3033] - Add rotation to the Bars Effect
[VIX-3045] - Add Gilbert Engineering to Vendor Browser
[VIX-3053] - Add "Center Stop" to Picture Effect
[VIX-3064] - Update OpenTK to the latest version (4.6.3)
[VIX-3065] - Update core dependencies for the next release track.

New Feature
[VIX-2963] - Create Chevron Pixel Effect

Bug
[VIX-3051] - Bars Effect (Flat) Highlighting does not work with 3D when using Moves Left or Right
[VIX-3052] - Morph Wipe is not lighting the top ring of pixels on one of my pixel trees
[VIX-3071] - Vendor model browser can fail if item does not have an id.
[VIX-3072] - Specialty sound devices can cause bad behavior.
[VIX-3077] - Bars Effect is not initializing RotationAngle for existing sequences
[VIX-3078] - Crash in Curve editor when inputting a period in the value text field.

So I feel kinda dumb... where is the chevron effect? I don't see it on the effects menu.

Edit: I'm guessing I found it under bars...zig-zag. Very cool effect

Last edited:
So I feel kinda dumb... where is the chevron effect? I don't see it on the effects menu.

Edit: I'm guessing I found it under bars...zig-zag. Very cool effect

Yep. Sorry about that confusion. Initially it was going to be its own effect, and that's how the ticket was written and flowed thru to the release notes. But the more we got into it, the more it felt like it was a better fit as an enhancement to the bars effect.

Thanks guys for the new verson. It looks great.

For some reason now none of my arduinos work with vixen, after update, always have great pride in saying that i use vixen to controll the lights.

i have 3 arduino mega's
first one controlls 32 ssr soon to be 40,
the second controlls 4 stings of 63 nodes
the third runs the 2 matrix. only had one was trying for a second, even if i had to manually change the setup so they match.

however out of some flook or maybe because of a windows update Vixen is no longer sending the serial code to the arduino's. I am away from my computer at the moment to upload the code's have.

maybe i need to change some in that. or maybe now need to include something extra for Vixen.

I would love to continue to use vixen, as all the sequences are in there, plus is a ton easier to understand how to set up verses the others.

or do i have to switch to raspberry pi to now run the displays where i have no idea where to start on that.

Last edited:
There were no updates related to the serial output module in this version. (For several years now). Have you done all of the basic serial output troubleshooting? Are you sure your dongles were connected when you started vixen? Have you verified that your output modules still have the correct com ports selected? Are the vixen outputs enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should start a new thread for your arduino issues. That doesn't belong in an announcement thread. Vixen team doesn't do arduino development. That's not our specialty. We do Vixen, not hardware. Your arduino sketch development and troubleshooting probably belongs in the arduino category.

One thing that sticks out is that your 3 sketches use 3 different baud rates. You only show one of the controller configs which is set to 115200 on com5. So that would hopefully be for the second sketch you posted.
And another thing i can confirm from your screenshots is that none of your output modules are disabled. If they were, they'd have a red ball in front of them.
The most common problems with serial based control, especially when using multiple ports, is that the devices are either not available when vixen tries to begin using them, or if the com port numbers change on the fly. When you're using multiple of the same type of device, windows has no way of knowing which is which. They all look identical to windows. So the com port numbering can vary every time you fire them up. Windows just assigns them in order as it discovers them. I've heard of guys who use power sequencing circuits that will power up USB serial devices one at a time in a specific order to help ensure that the port numbers come up the same way every time.

My 3.8 seems to freeze when I click on edit preview. Could this be a computing power problem or is this a program problem?

That could go either way. Did it happen after recent changes to your profile, or is your profile the same as it used to be? Does it just sit there frozen or does it eventually crash? In any case, if it's reproducable, we'd like to dig into it further. If you could upload a copy of the profile (slimmed down without sequences or audio) to a google drive or similar and start a ticket on bugs.vixenlights.com, we'll take a look at it and see if we can figure it out.

Where is the import option for importing Vixen 2.x sequences?:wacko: All i see are options for importing vixen 3 packages. Have read that you could do it in previous releases.

Hi all, vixen crash after loading a music, any idea why is doing that.
Thanks

I would make sure your sound device is active and available when you start Vixen. That is one of the most common causes of issues. If that is not it, file a bug report at bugs.vixenlights.com and attach the logs from the log folder and we can take a look.

Thanks all of you for your help, the problems was a corrupted file and problem is solved [emoji106][emoji106]

Back