W5200 four more sockets

DynamoBen

Super Moderator
Looks like wiznet has a new IC, it's exactly like the W5100 but has 4 more sockets which makes a total of 8. I'm going to contact them and see if they are planning on releasing a module that is pin compatible with the one used on the PropController. If that ends up being the case then we can move to the W5200 allowing us to not only have 4 concurrent data streams (like we have now) but also a webpage that's available all the time for configuration.

If they don't release a module with the same footprint we may need to design a breakout board.

http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/en/product/Product_Detail.asp?cate1=5&cate2=7&cate3=56&pid=1144

The module with the W5200 is the WIZ812io. Data sheet attached. I have a couple of samples on hand. It's not the same footprint as the WIZ812, much smaller, with 2 6-pin connectors. There will have to be some driver changes made as the register assignments, while similar, vary slightly. I can see this being able to run at least 5 universes of E1.31, possibly 6, with a separate socket for web server as you mention. There is a burst transfer mode so it's certainly possible that thruput could be improved if that can be utilized.

I haven't gotten any pricing info yet but I assume it'll be no more expensive than the WIZ812, possibly a bit cheaper. Supposed to be available within the next couple of weeks.

These are some notes I put together when comparing the 5100 and 5200:

WIZ5100 WIZ5200
Sockets 4 8
Tx/RxBuffer Mem 16K 32K
TX/RX LEDs yes no
interface SPI/Parallel SPI only

addressing:
common regs 0000-002f 0000-0036
socket regs 0400-07ff 4000-47ff
tx mem 4000-5fff 8000-bfff
rx mem 6000-7fff c000-ffff

common register differences:
0016 int mask reg socket int mask reg
001A rx memory size reserved '5200 uses diff scheme
001B tx memory size reserved
001E reserved PPPoE auth algorithm
001F reserved chip version

2A-2D unrch IP adrs
2E-2F unrch port#
30,31 not exist interrupt low level timer register
34 not exist socket interrupt register (replaces bits in IR used on 5100)
35 not exist phy status
36 not exist interrupt mask reg

socket register differences:
xx1E-1F reserved rx/tx mem sz
xx2A,2B reserved rx wrt pntr
xx2C reserved int mask reg
xx2D,2E reserved frag offset

MR register: same exc bits 0,1 not used in 5200 (ind bus mode and auto-inc)

IR interrupt reg: on 5200 individual socket interrupt bits aren't used
IMR intrpt mask reg same as above

PHY status (new on 5200)
5 link status 0=dn, 1=up
3 pwr dn status 1= in pwr down mode

Socket Register differences:

Mode Register:
6 reserved MAC Filter enable
command reg: no change
status reg: no change

Thanks for the info. I saw the module you speak of and was hoping to convince them to create a new module that matches the existing footprint. If they decide not to then I'm going to need to create a breakout board.

I was looking at this new chip also. I don't need more sockets, but I do need more memory. The W5200 delivers there, but as noted above the W5200 supports only SPI. It is described as "high speed SPI", and runs at a clock speed of 80MHz. Intuition tells me that while the Propeller counters can keep up with this, the limiting factor will still be reading/writing the data bits, which will require at least 4 Propeller clocks or 50nS per bit read/write (20MHz, or 2.5MB/s - without any processing of the data).

There is also a W5300, but it is much "bigger" (100 LQFP, 128kB Rx/Tx memory, 8/16 bit data bus, parallel/indirect interface only (no SPI mode), 8 sockets) than the W5100 or W5200. The evaluation module with this chip has a form factor incompatible with the WIZ812MJ.

Last edited:
I was looking at this new chip also. I don't need more sockets, but I do need more memory. The W5200 delivers there, but as noted above the W5200 supports only SPI.

Which works out perfectly for me, since I'm already using SPI.

It is described as "high speed SPI", and runs at a clock speed of 80MHz. Intuition tells me that while the Propeller counters can keep up with this, the limiting factor will still be reading/writing the data bits, which will require at least 4 Propeller clocks or 50nS per bit read/write (20MHz, or 2.5MB/s - without any processing of the data).

The SPI code on the Propeller is currently slowed down to work with the W5100, there is room to make it a lot faster. The Spin code and data processing will be the bottle neck, both of which are solvable if the need arises.

There is also a W5300, but it is much "bigger" (100 LQFP, 128kB Rx/Tx memory, 8/16 bit data bus, parallel/indirect interface only (no SPI mode), 8 sockets) than the W5100 or W5200.

For me no SPI is a deal breaker.

Sounds like the W5200 is a good fit for you. And it's a lower pin count, you may be able to save money and board real estate by incorporating it directly onto your PropController board and save the module-middle-man.

Even with indirect interface mode I had to slow down the Properller for reads. Specs say the data is valid for read at 48nS. The Propeller clocked at 80MHz requires 50nS per (most) PASM instructions. Notwithstanding, I had to insert an extra 50 nS to meet timing. Fortunately, I was able to find something to do instead of a nop in most cases. That was on my protoboard, so maybe it will work without the extra 50nS on my "real" board.

I'll be very interested to hear what speed you can get out of SPI mode if you try the W5200. It's always nice to regain 8 pins.

Sounds like the W5200 is a good fit for you. And it's a lower pin count, you may be able to save money and board real estate by incorporating it directly onto your PropController board and save the module-middle-man.

I'm affraid the QFN package it uses isn't going to be doable for most folks. I suspect I will incorporate the new module and call it done.

Even with indirect interface mode I had to slow down the Properller for reads.

Yeah I had the same issue and ended up slowing things down. I have to look at the new specs to see if things can be sped up.

I'll be very interested to hear what speed you can get out of SPI mode if you try the W5200. It's always nice to regain 8 pins.

I have to get a hold of a module and get some free time, both are a challenge at the moment.

I have to get a hold of a module and get some free time, both are a challenge at the moment.

So there are no Register/Memory READ Timing specs, and the SPI specs look like they are about 4 times faster. Assuming Memory reads can keep up with the SPI timing I should be able to crank things up a bit.

I was looking at this new chip also. I don't need more sockets, but I do need more memory. The W5200 delivers there, but as noted above the W5200 supports only SPI. It is described as "high speed SPI", and runs at a clock speed of 80MHz. Intuition tells me that while the Propeller counters can keep up with this, the limiting factor will still be reading/writing the data bits, which will require at least 4 Propeller clocks or 50nS per bit read/write (20MHz, or 2.5MB/s - without any processing of the data).

There is also a W5300, but it is much "bigger" (100 LQFP, 128kB Rx/Tx memory, 8/16 bit data bus, parallel/indirect interface only (no SPI mode), 8 sockets) than the W5100 or W5200. There is also no evaluation module with this chip that I can find.

WIZ830MJ is the module that uses the W5300.

Just got a response from Wiznet, looks like I'm going to have to respin my design and build some breakout boards. I'm working on obtaining some modules for testing.

Samples are on the way and they said the new module will be "available in the end of November at global/local
distributors." I have no idea what the cost will be but if its close I will make the switch (or accommodate both) in future versions.

Wiznet came through and the samples arrived today. When I can a little time I will start playing around with the W5200.

I just looked up the retail price on this module and its $19.99, so I think I'm going to move to this for all future designs.

I checked Saelig about a week ago or so and it wasn't listed, but I see it there now. Have you played with this at all yet? I'd be interested in working with you on a driver if nobody has done it yet.

I checked Saelig about a week ago or so and it wasn't listed, but I see it there now. Have you played with this at all yet? I'd be interested in working with you on a driver if nobody has done it yet.

Haven't started using it yet. My plan is to mock up a PropController Relay board, get DMX working, and then swap out DMX for the new Wiznet module. If we can get a good driver I plan to post it to not only the PropController site but also the Parallax OBEX.

I started the driver last night. I decided to go through the W5100 driver and make the changes to it to make it compatible with the W5200. No promises on timeline yet but at least I have a start.

I've started porting the W5100 driver from Parallax to the W5200. The code seems functional I can read and write to the chip but I can't ping the module, waiting for a reply from Wiznet on this matter.

Once I'm over that hurdle I will crank up the speed on the SPI code. If memory serves the W5100 SPI speed was 4Mhz, the W5200 can do 80Mhz.

Back