W5200 four more sockets

Hey Ben,

I'd be interested in working with you on that project.

Sorry for the delay, I don't always get email notifications from the forum.

In what way would you like to work with me?

At present the code has been updated to support the new SPI packet structure, all of the new registries have been added, I've trimmed a fair amount of code "fat", and now I'm working on SPI speed and timing. The vast majority of the code I've updated is in pASM and is the code I created a few years back that ended up in the "official" W5100 driver. With the exception of the fact that the module isn't responding to pings and doesn't consider a switch a valid link, I'm doing OK.

Eben the pseudo code appears wrong, it doesn't set the opcode bit for a write. Also the pseudo-code refers to data length >1 triggering burst mode, while the text for both read and write sats data length >2 triggers burst mode.

I'm not sure what the distiction is really, isn't byte mode just a burst of length 1?

I'm not sure what the distinction is really, isn't byte mode just a burst of length 1?

I'm going to go with data length >1 triggering burst mode, since it makes the most logical sense. I suspect the text was supposed to say "greater than or equal to 2."

Update: A month or two ago I was running into some problems with the driver so I shelved the project. Two days ago I picked it back up I've been able to get the driver to function, or at least the early tests seem to prove that out. I plan to increase the overall driver speed next, optimize some of the code, and then I'll look into implementing burst mode (a new feature for this device).

Update: A month or two ago I was running into some problems with the driver so I shelved the project. Two days ago I picked it back up I've been able to get the driver to function, or at least the early tests seem to prove that out. I plan to increase the overall driver speed next, optimize some of the code, and then I'll look into implementing burst mode (a new feature for this device).

What was the issue that you resolved?

What was the issue that you resolved?

My assumption about how sockets where addressed. In the W5100 socket 0 is $0400 and socket 1 is $0500. With the W5200 socket 0 is $4000 and socket 1 is $4100.

Now I'm trying to increase the read/write speed, which wasn't working for me before and I'm still struggling with it. I need to hook up a scope and ensure the timing is what I think it is and compare that with the spec. Read/write is at 20mhz but it isn't functioning correctly, the crazy part this is supposed to work up to 80mhz.

I'm back to struggling with the speed. I'm tempted to post the slower functional version to google project site for people to use. Anyone interested in it?

Ben and Jim,

Is this module's pin-out the same as the 5100, so that Jim could be able to use the WS5200 to make the Web Server available full time on the E681 without hardware mods? Or are there also limitations to the Prop that prevent this possibility?

Just wondering...

Jeff

Ben and Jim,

Is this module's pin-out the same as the 5100, so that Jim could be able to use the WS5200 to make the Web Server available full time on the E681 without hardware mods? Or are there also limitations to the Prop that prevent this possibility?

Just wondering...

Jeff

See post #2 - they are different footprints. Fortunately access to the web server is really not needed once it is set up. Is there some reason you would want it up full time?

See post #2 - they are different footprints. Fortunately access to the web server is really not needed once it is set up. Is there some reason you would want it up full time?

It is indeed a different footprint. And while you don't need the webserver I still believe it should be available at all times, so I will be moving to the WIZ820io for all new designs.

...I still believe it should be available at all times...

I'm with you Ben. I don't look at it from the perspective of an end user... "once it's set up, it's not needed" I find myself constantly switching things around trying different arrangements. Being able to make changes quickly from a live webserver makes testing so much easier. Due to the fact that I'm still using LOR software along with Jim's ELOR, I chose to forgo using the forth Cluster in favor of the webserver. (The LOR network has bandwidth limitations that make using a full 680 pixels a bit of a challenge anyway)

Jeff

I'm with you Ben. I don't look at it from the perspective of an end user... "once it's set up, it's not needed" I find myself constantly switching things around trying different arrangements. Being able to make changes quickly from a live webserver makes testing so much easier. Due to the fact that I'm still using LOR software along with Jim's ELOR, I chose to forgo using the forth Cluster in favor of the webserver. (The LOR network has bandwidth limitations that make using a full 680 pixels a bit of a challenge anyway)

Jeff

If you are doing live setup/testing just do "QUIT" and you'll have normal data access in 10 seconds. Yes - the extra socket would be better but again I don't see it as a big deal I guess... You almost certainly won't be making changes once your show is set up since even minor changes would disconnect pixel location to channels in Vixen/LSP, etc.

If you are doing live setup/testing just do "QUIT" and you'll have normal data access in 10 seconds. Yes - the extra socket would be better but again I don't see it as a big deal I guess... You almost certainly won't be making changes once your show is set up since even minor changes would disconnect pixel location to channels in Vixen/LSP, etc.

This really boils down to an engineering decision made based on what was available at the time. Since there were 4 sockets and all 4 were used for data there was no option but to have a temporary webpage. Now we get 8 for the same price so moving forward this will be a non-issue.

This really boils down to an engineering decision made based on what was available at the time. Since there were 4 sockets and all 4 were used for data there was no option but to have a temporary webpage. Now we get 8 for the same price so moving forward this will be a non-issue.

I'm liking it! ...and I can assure you I'll be rotating the hardware out in favor of the new as it becomes available.

Jeff

Back