2.1 Tentative

KC

Hi all,

I wanted to wait until after the 2008 season ended to do any more updates as some installations were precariously perched and I didn't want to screw up anyone's shows. More.

There was something done to 2.0 for the release version that really screwed up some specific pieces for a lot of people. I'm sorry about that, I don't know what else to say. This is supposed to be a fun and light hobby, so I'm sorry if this has caused people some heartache.

2.1...I've been collecting fixes over time, added a couple of minor things, and even removed something. Here is the tentative list so far. I've included Bugzilla-submitted items that I could reproduce as well as items sent to me over the past several months.

Before I get to the list, let me say that this update will not be forced on anyone. The update itself will be separate from the 2.0 migration path so that you won't even be prompted. Completely voluntary.

I need to point out #1, the removed item, with extreme emphasis:

* Channel groups have been removed. This functionality has been a pain in my side and the side of a number of users. Any channel groups referenced by profiles have been pulled into the profiles as separate channels.
* If the data for multiple plugins is removed from a sequence due to the plugins not existing, the export files created no longer overwrite each other.
* Trigger response editor no longer confines you to just standard sequences.
* Fixed errors with saving an image from the preview.
* Trigger response editor will not store the incorrect trigger name if the trigger plugin does not override ToString().
* Trigger response editor will correctly show the trigger line again when editing an existing response.
* Script editor will save the source file path as a relative path to make it easier to transport between machines.
* The music player no longer cuts off random songs.
* Support for 64-bit platforms, due solely to work by Jared King.
* Fixed error caused by removing channels from a profile that were being referenced as outputs by other channels.
* Changing the casing of a file extension no longer prevents it from being loaded.
* Added user agent string to update program's web requests.
* Optional files, such as plugins and add-ins, will not be updated if the user doesn't already have them. Unused files such as these can now be deleted without having them be replaced later.
* Start channel and band in the Spectrum add-in are retained when changed by the user.
* Standard script module will no longer clear affected channels between commands by default. New ClearAfterCommand property (bool) added, defaulting to false.
* Doing a find-and-replace operation against percentage values is more accurate now.
* The wizard correctly reflects the default event period as specified in the application preferences.
* Added copy functionality to the LedTriks editor. Select frames in the organization dialog and press Ctrl-C. The selected frames will be copied to an open clipboard.
* New CurrentExecution plugin (LedTriks) and changes to the LedTriks environment to better prepare for Triks-C and LedTriks integration for plugins.

I don't trust my own testing. Anyone want to give any of these items a whirl before the rest of the world is subjected to them to make sure they're up to snuff?

K.C.

// Add Link to first post

The zip file has been put together. It's late, so please let me know if I've forgotten anything. I figured it would be easier to post the link here than trying to email everyone individually since I got about a 500% bigger response than I could have hoped for (thanks!).

//

Last edited by a moderator:
KC - a very big THANK YOU for everything you do for us. WIthout you, this hobby would be much, much harder for all of us.

I still have hardware up and can test using Renard and standard parallel plugins. I would be happy to test.

Too much snow on top of my stuff to take down. I can play with if you are looking for volunteers.
Jim

I'm still hooked up and can test. Renard on two serial ports.

I had NO problems with 2.09, set my schedule and let it fly. Worked every time, I can verify operation, but don't have any issues that needed to be fixed.

Keep up the great work KC!

tom

Whoa! Much bigger response I expected for the middle of January! I'll get a build script put together and post a zip file. Thanks, guys!

KC,

atm im doing some testing for phil so i still have some lights up and going.

now is probably a good time to test a new version of vixen. find out of its my pc or vixen crashing. (i expect its my pc)

Peter

Can't wait to try it myself! Don't have (many) lights still up - but - have a setup plugged in inside for testing throughout the year.

* Optional files, such as plugins and add-ins, will not be updated if the user doesn't already have them. Unused files such as these can now be deleted without having them be replaced later.

Im assuming there will still be a way to install all addins and plugins etc.

Yes. The idea is that the zip file will contain only the necessary files and the most-popular plugins and add-ins. If you need something beyond that, they will be available on the web site. Except for this test build, it will have everything to save some hassle.

excellent - I am definately up for a test as I still have the gear in the shed yet to be packed away :)

Edit: and while I was one that had issues, your test version fixed them for me. Besides one crash during a show, a daily reboot USUALLY fixed the problem before the update, and after the update I never had a problem at all.

Last edited:
Thanks KC.

My display is still up, buried under a foot or two of snow, but still ready to do some tests with.

Alrighty then. Now that the work week has passed...

The zip file has been put together. It's late, so please let me know if I've forgotten anything. I figured it would be easier to post the link here than trying to email everyone individually since I got about a 500% bigger response than I could have hoped for (thanks!).

Before I forget...there is a data conversion in this to remove the use of channel groups in the profiles. So either copy over any profiles you want to try with 2.1 before running it for the first time or copy the prepare.exe file elsewhere and copy it back in anytime you want to convert some profiles. Or if you're not going to use profiles, act as if I said nothing.

I think that covers it. I hope that covers it. Files are in the zip, the zip is posted, everything should be rebuilt. File conversion, dire warnings, CYA...I think it's all there. Anyone still here in January seems to be the hard-core folks, so I trust all of your collective judgments and opinions.

Thanks, again! Any errors or omissions will be corrected tomorrow (or later today, as it is).

KC,

Copied all my files on the 2.1 new directory,

Fired up Vixen 2.1

Prepare.exe did its thing,

Loaded up a sequence and let it run. No issues.

Stoped the sequence, went into Profile Manager and added a channel to the attached profile, again no problem playing the sequence. <-- this was my area of problems

Detached and re-attached the profile, played again, no issue.

The added channel appears in all, no issues with AP or anything I can find.

Its looking good from my end KC, The neighbors enjoyed the encore of the lights this morning.. LOL

Some of them actually want to to run again tonight for them to record!

I am testing the issue I had this year...running the background music whenever a program isn't running. I am adding a lot of audio files (same as I always do) and setting it to shuffle them. I'll have a short program run every quarter hour to see if the music stops in time for the program's music to not overlap.

Another problem I had with 2.0 was the default timing preference for new sequences. I had set it to 50 but it always behaved as 100. This, too, appears to not occur with 2.1.

Last edited:
Only thing I can note is a request to disable the Programs >Manage button while "Executing Timer Control" routine is running.

Nothing can be done with Vixen until the current Executing Timer Control runs its course, or you crash Vixen from the Control Panel.

Back