2.1 Tentative

Glad it worked - I was @ work and couldn't give it a try, so it was a bit of an educated SWAG :rolleyes:...

I don't know if you've done so yet, but if you haven't watched the tutorial videos for Vixen on YouTube, they're well worth is to help shorten the learning curve. Don't be discouraged about how long it takes to do your sequencing - depending on how many channels you have, it can take 5 to 10 hours or more per minute of sequence. The smart thing to do is to work on locking in your display plan as soon as you can and start sequencing now!

Didn't see it here - has anyone tried this on a 64 platform, yet? I just bought a new high-faluting Vista64 laptop, and I would like to try it on there, just wondering if anyone has already? I won't be running a show off this computer, but I like to play around with sequencing when I'm supposed to be working...
lmao.gif
so basically, I only need the Preview to work.

Thanks,

Roger

It should work on a 64-bit platform. I don't have a system to test on, but Jared King put a lot of time into getting it to work. If it doesn't work, let me know because this is the release that needs to. Especially the Spectrum and Waveform add-ins. Those are the ones that gave us the most trouble.

Idun,

I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can just swap sequences back and forth between the 2.0x and 2.1 versions since there have been some changes related to channels. If I'm is corrrect, you'll need to make sure that you re-unzip the sequence update program (it deletes after it runs) before you start up 2.1 and that the sequences that you are intending to use are in the 2.1 versions sequence folder before you start up Vixen.

It might also help if you post the sequence and the profile so that others can check it out and see if it's particular to your system or to 2.1.

Pat

Just to clarify, it depends on whether or not you're using profiles. If you're not using a profile, then the sequences themselves should be able to move between the versions. If you're using profiles, then, yes, they do need to be converted.

This is really a silly question, but one that has become very frustrating for me.

I cant find where to download Vixen 2.x anywhere. I have gone to the normal places I know of, do a download. When I try to install all I get are error messages.

Is there an install file that I am missing or ????

Thanks for all your support and help.

Sincerely,
Al

Al - check post 17 in this thread. It has a link.

KC - I just downloaded, will try it on my Vista64 tonight. Will let you know...

Thanks!!

Roger

It's loaded, and running perfectly! I haven't tried the waveform and spectrum yet, as I have never looked at them before, but I will. But so far, so good!

Thanks!!!

Roger

vixenlogo.gif

Start Vixen 2.1
Load sequence (same sequence as above)
Run sequence--Everything OK
Change sequence--Receive Error as reported in Post #27
Shut down Vixen.
Computer response has become very sluggish

If I stop 2.1 and go back to 2.09, same problem occurs. It is carried from one version to the other, perhaps indicating something is happening in one of the plugins or accessing of the ports.

Shut down computer (normal shutdown, but response is slow)
Restart--Everything OK.

Same conditions and plugins as in Post #27.

Idun

I am getting similar results with the sluggish responses. My only guess is because I am running XP professional (32bit) and not the (64bit) Vista. Also, I am noticing that when boot up Vixen 2.1 I can hear my CPU fan kick off into overdrive. Everything becomes very, very choppy. I guess I am going to try Vixen 2.0 and see it that works ok. (Right now I have been using 2.05 beta with no problem.)

hello all!!! i am very new to vixen 2.1 tentative but my dad JMKSPARKS has challenged me to see who can create the best sequence i am running vista(64bit)system on my HP laptop and have found no problams as of just yet. so if anyone has any tip or tricks on sequencing for the fullest most dramatic effect please let me know. i plan on spending all my spare time this season to create my sequence

Thanks SonOfSparks

Wow, wish I had seen this thread a long time ago! I was monitoring bugzilla and the bugs thread I had posted to! Sigh. Anyway, I downloaded 2.1 tonight. It will take me some considerable time to test everything I had posted about, but I have quickly determined however that I still cannot add a script to a program. It will not run from the ">" play button in the program setup screen or if the program is scheduled. Actually I guess it does run sort of. It shows up as 0.00 seconds and seems to run like that. The play button flashes the preview window briefly but does not run any commands in the script. Scheduling seems to behave about the same.

KC

Nice job, this is a quick post to let you know that i could successfully start vixen and create a sequence under Windows 7 64bit beta.
Haven't tested that i was getting output from the DMX Dongle yet but Vixen gave no errors when playing the test sequence.
Performance seemed fine on my dual core with a lot of stuff running including Vmware and a virtual workstation.

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil,

Nice to see your still lurking about... any news on the 512 channel?

Hi K.C.

Well I finally got around to testing this for a few days. After all the trouble that I had last year I decided to just replace the hardware so I got a new (used) computer, wiped the HD and did a clean install of XP Pro SP3. There is nothing else on this sytem now but the new Win install and Vixen 2.1. I imported my old sequences and made one change - I added a profile which included the Renard 16 config and the Preview config (with a picture and 'lights') I set up a Program that "Use each sequence plug-in setup". It is configured to run a BG music list when the display is not running.

First run it started at the correct time and ran about 3:45 of the set 4:00 before it froze with only the "Executing Timer Control" dialog on screen. I was able to click the Stop and Reset buttons and recover (the show was over so it just returned to playing BG music). I decided to set the timer diagnostic for future runs. From that point it ran two or three shows a day for 3 days without a problem. Tonight on the third show within minutes of the end it threw a dialog "Collection was modified enumeration may not execute" and then another on top of that one.. "The given key was not in the dictionary". When I clicked OK on the top dialog show execution continued. It finished the last song and then resumed the BG music leaving the other dialog and the Preview windown on the screen. I did have the diagnostic running (attached) so I hope it will show you something useful.

Brad H

Attachments

• timers 0529-3 fail.zip
    35 KB · Views: 8
It Failed twice yesterday (6-2) ran ok once today.

The first failure it froze at some point during the 4 hr play with just the timer dialog on the screen. I checked it at 3 hrs and it was frozen. I waited for the full 4 hrs before doing anything and it did not change. I clicked the Stop button and exposed another dialog .. Port Close: Safe Handle has been closed. I clicked OK and set another run. This time it ran to the end and froze at the end of the show (frequent failure mode)

Timer trace files attached.

Attachments

• jun02 trace.zip
    41 KB · Views: 7
Well my 4 hour program has run now for 4 days and then it crashed. I thought I had found the solution when I chose "Use a profile" instead of "Use sequence's .. setup" (though I could not see why it would make a difference since the sequences all use the same profile as I used from the Program Manager.

The crash was the same as two posts back.. on screen:

1. Virtual Memory Too Low (new symptom)
  2. Executing Timer Control
  3. Adjustable Preview .. Router Startup: The given key was not present in the dictionary
  4. Adjustable Preview .. Router Startup: Collection was modified enumeration operation may not execute
  5. Sequence Preview
Clicked on #3 ... operation continued at begining of next sequence opened new Sequence Preview window (old window was orphaned)

Waited 30 seconds the clicked #4 ... restarted current sequence

Show ended after last sequence in program (did not run until end of timer setting)

Orphaned Sequence Preview still on screen - unable to close (can minimize but close button is disabled).

Closed Vixen.

Tonight I will run for a week with a single plug-in active. If I can get some mock hardware built I will run it with the Renard 16 otherwise I will run it with only the Adjustable Preview.

I ran 2.1.1.0 for the last week of my July4 show without incident.
I am going to say the freeze up issue is resolved in that version.

Of course now that 2.5 is released, I get to start all over.

JOel

2.1.0 Hardware requirements

I installed Vixen 2.1 on an older DELL laptop and it crashes after I run a sequence and stop it. I suspect the Pentium and limited RAM might be the culprit.

I am unable to understand hardware requirements for Vixen 2.1. Can someone provide direction in where to find this information?

Thanks

I set up 2.1.1 on my laptop (dell latitude e4300) and am getting a plugin error upon stopping a sequence - "OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT. EXECUTION HAS BEEN STOPPED.
Anyone have any ideas on the error?

edit: I loaded MS.net 2.0 before I loaded Vixen 2.1.1. Vixen then upgraded to 2.1.3.

I get the same error on my "show computer" and occasionally on my sequencing computer...
Any help greatly appreciated!!

I hope you have success getting an answer on this! I have reported this error on several threads most notably Bug Reports and have gotten no replies. I have changed hardware several times and even replaced the computer this year (which seems to have finally solved the problem - or at least minimized it as it will usually run for several days before crashing).

My systems tend to be minimal configurations - old slow processors and only 256 to 512 memory. My newest system is only 800MHz and 256 ram with XP Pro and it seems to run better that the rest that were faster and with more memory but XP Home.

I started with an old box running 98SE. That was pretty much a disaster (though I know some folks have run it successfully on 98SE).

One more thing - 2.1 Tentative seems more stable than 2.09. I have not tried the latest releases yet as I am still testing 2.1. My show has run now for 1.5 weeks and finally crashed yesterday but I suspect it has to do with running the Preview at the same time as the Renard.

I got this occasionally in 2.1. I moved up to 2.5 several months ago, and on my sequencing machine (laptop), I never get this error. On my show computer (P3 1 ghz, Moxa 8 port serial) I get this *very* frequently, particularly when trying to run a program.

Back