2.1 Tentative

I set up 2.1.1 on my laptop (dell latitude e4300) and am getting a plugin error upon stopping a sequence - "OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT. EXECUTION HAS BEEN STOPPED.
Anyone have any ideas on the error?

edit: I loaded MS.net 2.0 before I loaded Vixen 2.1.1. Vixen then upgraded to 2.1.3.

What plugin are you using?

Thank you for your tireless efforts, towards this hobby. Without your dedication, we would be wandering in a sea of different pieces of software, and in my case one that wouldnt perform properly or not at all,. I would be forced back to static displays, never to feel like something again , My only hope would be to stand there flipping a switch on and off to the beat of music.
Come to think about it, There would be the biggest case of withdrawal symptoms in history.
nothing would be the same again. My displays are small compared to say Frank in Arizona, I just cant imagine a 35-50 ft mega tree that is a static display no fade no whirl
ahh the humanity of it
Again thanks many thanks
Rice66

What plugin are you using?

I know this wasnt asked of me, but as im getting the same error, i'll post too ;)

My profile contains the Adjustable Preview (1-140), Simple 595 (1-128) and 12 Channel Parallel (129-140).
I've experienced the "OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT. EXECUTION HAS BEEN STOPPED." with all 3 disabled, and combinations of them enabled too... I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance if anyone can help... I'm still not 100% if i want to upgrade to 2.5 yet for this year.

I am using renard plugin, launcher and preview, however I turned all of them off to see if the error would discontinue but it still popped up.

Have you tried a reboot? I got this same message in 2.5.0.5 and 2.5.0.6, but just when starting a program. After removing and re-creating my three renard dimmer plugins (for three com ports), I then got the dreaded "access to com port denied" message. I remembered that a reboot was usually needed in this case. Rebooted and everything has been running smoothly and continuously for the last 12 hours.

Ahem...you know there's something wrong with you when your clock radio is tuned to your own frequency and you wake up to your own music in the morning! :)

hmm, that is odd. I would either try a fresh install of 2.1 or upgrade to 2.5
Been there done that. Deleted every reference to Vixen and and even deleted every MS.net 2.0 and any update to MS.net and started from scratch.

At this point I've finished up most of my sequencing and if need to tweak it I'll just put up with the error generation on my laptop or just do it on my show PC.

Have you tried using the restore point feature to put the pc back to a time when everything was working??? Not sure how well that will work now that you've deleted all the stuff you say you have...

I had the problem from the start on the laptop. It's no big deal. I've got Vixen working on two other PC's anyway.

I had a similar problem I think, I started with 2.1 and then upgraded. There was a utility I had to run against my sequence (the only one I had/have) to make it compatible with 2.5. I found it on the Vixen site. Perhaps this will help.

Your not alone. I'm also getting this error with 2.1. Last year I ran 2.0.9 and it was solid except that I would get an occasional port exception, about once every 10 days. I may down grade for the show this year unless, there are positive comments about on 2.1. Up grading to 2.5 may be an options if most people find it to be solid.

That's the beauty of Vixen, there are so many versions that we can pick the one that works for us.

Keep us posted on a resolution to this error.

Well I guess it's time for an update! After all of the problems I had last year (see previous posts in this thread) I decided that I would give Vixen one more shot before I abandoned it for LightShow Pro.

I bought two used OLD computers with scrubbed HD's and new installs of XP Pro SP2 and a third with SP3. All had just 256M memory and slow 600MHz P3 processors. This is far less horsepower and memory than I used last year! Next I copied the Vixen 2.1 directory as is from my 2008 machine onto the new machines.

I had tried various combinations of settings last year with some more stable than others but none perfect. This year I set up two profiles (two different houses with similar light displays). Each profile had two enabled plugins - Renard and Preview. I set up a program that ran BG 24/7 and ran the show with profile plugins for 6 hours nightly on all three machines (this was in October).

The systems ran for two weeks before there was a failure (port open). Next I changed to "use program plugins" and enabled only the Renard. The show ran for a month on three machines with NO failures! We set up the shows on Thanksgiving day and ran them through New Years without a single glitch!

Conclusion? The problem was neither memory nor processor speed / power. Last year all the PC's that failed were running XP Home SP3. This year the two show computers ran XP Pro SP2. That combined with disabling the Preview during the show seemed to do the trick!

Thanks to all who have offered advice and consolation. It was kind of a steep learning curve but I made it. And yes, it WAS worth it!

Back