Candy Cane Dispenser

4cc10faa9c1e05520d3091608fc8dd16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the price on that, but I would need a pretty long run of USB, maybe 50+ft?

I could pair it with a Pi Zero W though.

I was also investigating small wifi "action" cameras. But the cheap ones seem really "cheap". I am sure there is a simple solution I am overthinking here....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I run these ,ones 50’ and another 75’ no issues so far knock on wood 2 years in my display .

Hi, just thinking - an ESP8266 putting up a web page that you could check, sending an email or a push notification telling you what stock is left or how many times the button had been pressed. An easy project to do next year if it would help.

a1a647e660cb2c52965b9b5f84b321c2.jpg

This is a nice discourse guys, thanks!

That is good to know about the USB, it might be worth trying for such a little cost (I guess I don't know how specialized those USB cables are though). I do have a Falcon Player right outside my house for my matrix. I could potentially run the USB straight to that, or plug it into something else all together.....

This is a nice discourse guys, thanks!

That is good to know about the USB, it might be worth trying for such a little cost (I guess I don't know how specialized those USB cables are though). I do have a Falcon Player right outside my house for my matrix. I could potentially run the USB straight to that, or plug it into something else all together.....

Would be cool if you could utilize something like this pic but make a larger pixel screen that you can see from house think it uses a proximitysensor
f6396ceded92fc5cb90a22d953e745e2.jpg

Hi, just thinking - an ESP8266 putting up a web page that you could check, sending an email or a push notification telling you what stock is left or how many times the button had been pressed. An easy project to do next year if it would help.
That is interesting. Not sure how it would know how many canes are left. One thing that I would need to do is KISS, because my kids help me fill it, and I can't depend on them to reset some sort of counter each time (they are 7 and 5).

Buuuut, getting notified every x button pushes would be pretty sweet. What all do you think would have to go into getting something like this to work. I play with PICs, Arduino, Pi's, ARMs, etc., But I've done absolutely nothing with the ESP stuff (including reading up on it).

That is interesting. Not sure how it would know how many canes are left. One thing that I would need to do is KISS, because my kids help me fill it, and I can't depend on them to reset some sort of counter each time (they are 7 and 5).

Buuuut, getting notified every x button pushes would be pretty sweet. What all do you think would have to go into getting something like this to work. I play with PICs, Arduino, Pi's, ARMs, etc., But I've done absolutely nothing with the ESP stuff (including reading up on it).

When someone hand reaches for button it registers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9vlfrP9duE

Would be cool if you could utilize something like this pic but make a larger pixel screen that you can see from house think it uses a proximitysensor
f6396ceded92fc5cb90a22d953e745e2.jpg

I actually had investigated something like this 2 years ago. I simulated a circuit using Reed switches and a magnet being dragged behind that would light a C7 incandescent bulb, off, slowly, faster, solid on, depending on how many canes were left.

I tried it out on the bench and it worked, but I didn't really want to drag a magnet behind the last cane, so I abandoned it. The circuit would be all discretes and have no micros or anything else digital.

I actually had investigated something like this 2 years ago. I simulated a circuit using Reed switches and a magnet being dragged behind that would light a C7 incandescent bulb, off, slowly, faster, solid on, depending on how many canes were left.

I tried it out on the bench and it worked, but I didn't really want to drag a magnet behind the last cane, so I abandoned it. The circuit would be all discretes and have no micros or anything else digital.

Yea I looked at one of those with a magnet aswell on Amazon it’s a kit

Just go simple and put an switch 12volt to a c7 or C9 with a sign saying “if empty or broke flip the elf switch on please”

When someone hand reaches for button it registers

Not that simple if the canes get refilled part way through, we would then have to reset a counter so it knew how many were back in there. Plus it would need to remember after power down.

As much as I don't want to make things too complicated, the wife kind of wants a camera as she thinks it would be cool to see what is going on.

Not that simple if the canes get refilled part way through, we would then have to reset a counter so it knew how many were back in there. Plus it would need to remember after power down.

As much as I don't want to make things too complicated, the wife kind of wants a camera as she thinks it would be cool to see what is going on.

Camera is neat I think too

We watch folks with our ring doorbell kids dancing to the music in the yard among other things we see
33ac179b78eb8e4f3f2e0bace2cdb149.jpg

Maybe you could put a camera in the box AND replace your 555 timer with a ESP8266. Have it keep track of the number of presses and then send a notification for you to check the camera every 15 presses or something? Maybe have a webpage to reset the count, since it will likely get out of sync. I haven't done it, but the ESP's seem like they're easy to program from the Arduino IDE.

KISS is probably the best approach, but complexity can be more fun :)

Just curious... How many do you think you would "give out" on any given evening, or within a specific amount of time?

Back