Carousel Build

Thanks! As for the weight issue, so far so good. The the wind, well time will tell. Wont be the first time I chase down the street after a prop or need a re-build mid season. But that's how you learn.

Yeah, I generally over-engineer while over thinking everything and either don't finish or make something that weighs 1000 pounds.

Did you work out the gears yourself, or use something like this template generator: http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

I am going to probably try to make some this year and it will be my first attempt.

What I will do is have a 'dumb' ribbon attached to the underside of the roof using the controller that came with the string to have the lights change color. To feed the power, I've ordered a slip ring which will be attached to a center post that remains stationary inside. Work on that will be completed in a few weeks and I'll be posting pictures of how that is done.

thanks everyone for the comments. Just as a side note, the painting in the pictures is by no means complete. Still need to do the outlining and shading.

This is where running 36 to 48V through the slip rings, safer than 120VAC, and then feed that into DC-DC supplies works great. Don't forget a extra large input cap to filter out slip-ring noise. For control wireless works wonders.

Yeah, I generally over-engineer while over thinking everything and either don't finish or make something that weighs 1000 pounds.

Did you work out the gears yourself, or use something like this template generator: http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

I am going to probably try to make some this year and it will be my first attempt.

Nice link!! I used the gears on the original plans.

This is where running 36 to 48V through the slip rings, safer than 120VAC, and then feed that into DC-DC supplies works great. Don't forget a extra large input cap to filter out slip-ring noise. For control wireless works wonders.

And that's why I'm using simple 12DCv ribbon. Since the ribbon has a controller with it, that will just be used - simple.

Not to steal the message thread, but what is the concern about 120VAC safety versus 36-48V? Just curious.

It considerably safer. UL basically rates anything under 60VDC as non-hazardous and in fact will mainly look for physical hazardous items during testing. If you supply the 48VDC power supply its the only part that will be electrically tested and if it's already UL Listed they won't even do that.

There is more to it than this but you get the basic idea.

This is why I don't p.an for any 120VAC props where any ong can reach them. All 48VDC primary supplies would be well protected.

That is going to look amazing and the kids will enjoy it.

A couple of questions

Where and how will you store it?

Could you have used a Gilmer belt and pullys instead of making gears?

Not having access to the wood tools you have I was just thinking about an alternative.

Thanks,
Al

Looking forward to more pics.

Where and how will you store it?

Could you have used a Gilmer belt and pullys instead of making gears?

Not having access to the wood tools you have I was just thinking about an alternative.

Thanks,
Al

Looking forward to more pics.

Storage: All of my props are made to be disassembled for storage, this one will be a bit larger that most due to the floor and roof structure.
Yes, a belt drive would work also, however, I wanted to experiment with the wood gears.
As for the tools; used a circular saw, jig saw, miter saw drill. Not sure what alternatives you may use....

Just all around awesome! Would love to see some video Dan if you can get a chance to see why the links no longer work.

This is an awesome job and a daunting task I am certain. I commend you on your craftsmanship. I am still working on my trees.

It rained last night. Couldn't go anywhere because my windshield wiper motor is attached to a nice new prop at Dano's house...

Jeff

Back