E682 irmware for RGBW Pixels

jstjohnz

This is a beta firmware version 4.061 that adds support for the type 6818 RGBW pixels. These pixels have a separate white channel in addition to the RGB channels.

A couple of points:

The first is primarily a 'legacy' issue in that it involves the way addressing for RGB
pixels is handled at a universe boundary.

Previously, only the first 510 channels of each DMX universe were used. This made each
universe exactly 170 RGB pixels. After the pixel that was addressed at universe n
channels 508-510, the next pixel would be addressed at universe n+1 channels 1-3.

With RGBW it's necessary to use all 512 channels per universe since that works out to
exactly 128 RGBW pixels.

So, with this firmware, the way that RGB pixel addressing is handled across a universe
boundary will change. After the pixel at universe n channels 508-510, the next pixel
will use universe n channels 511-512 and universe n+1 channel 1.

Ultimately I expect to have an option to allow maintaining the existing 510-channel scheme for the RGB pixel types, so users don't have to change their addressing scheme. For now though the main goal was just to get the RGBW working,

The test patterns are still coded as expecting 3-channel pixels so most of them will
produce unusual results when used with RGBW pixels.

The assumption is made that the W channel is the 4th channel in the pixel. The pixel
color order dropdown list still affects only the RGB channels. In other words, you can't
select WRGB as a color order.

Attachments

• E682v4.061-01.eeprom
    32 KB · Views: 10
The GE pixels are not supported in this version. I have not made an E6804-specific version yet, but you can load this version on an E6804 if you want to. You will obviously have only 1 available output per output group, but it will work fine for all 3-wire pixel types.

So in essence, we will lose 42 pixels per universe if we switch to the 6818 leds. If you are maxed out on a controller, you'll be in the market for a new one. :) But it will be a lot better to display white with less voltage loss. Tit for Tat. :smoke:

Last edited:
So I'm confused. I am running 1,020 RGB 2811 pixels in a 30x34 matrix using 6 maxed out universes, if I switch to this firmware to get RGBW, will my matrix still patch the same?

So I'm confused. I am running 1,020 RGB 2811 pixels in a 30x34 matrix using 6 maxed out universes, if I switch to this firmware to get RGBW, will my matrix still patch the same?
Switch to unicast and double your pixel output and 12 universes.
RGBW is for 6818 pixels so your 2811 won't be affected. The 6818 will be a selection just like all the other pixel types. Hold on. I might be wrong. He did say rgb addressing will change. That's not good.
Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me to get the V5 firmware to take. I tried killing everything on my network except the card and my PC. I reset the card to defaults, but it always times out. What I do get is the green light goes out after 20 seconds, 1 sec later its back on. Both the ethernet lights do this as well at the same time. At the 90 sec mark thereabouts the black box closes. I wait an extra minute and refresh, still on 4.081. I just downloaded a fresh copy from the sans site and no change.

What to do??
My eeprom: Screenshot_20200911-175030_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me to get the V5 firmware to take. I tried killing everything on my network except the card and my PC. I reset the card to defaults, but it always times out. What I do get is the green light goes out after 20 seconds, 1 sec later its back on. Both the ethernet lights do this as well at the same time. At the 90 sec mark thereabouts the black box closes. I wait an extra minute and refresh, still on 4.081. I just downloaded a fresh copy from the sans site and no change.

What to do??
How are you trying to update? Are you following the instructions on Sandevices site or using a Propeller Plug? You must follow the instructions exactly otherwise it won't update. The best procedure is with the propeller plug. You don't need to change file names, just load the file then load to eeprom. Done.

BTW. Refresh does not show the new firmware. You must unplug controller then plug back in. If you update using Sandevices method it will most likely revert back to default ip address of 192.168.1.206. Using the propeller plug does not change the ip, at least it hasn't on the dozen or so controllers I've used it on.

http://sandevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/SanDevices_Firmware_Update_Procedure_05-2013.pdf

https://www.jameco.com/z/32201-Para...r-and-Basic-Stamp-USB-to-Serial-_2109421.html

You want the propeller tool, 1st one on the list.
https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-tool-software-windows-spin-assembly

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I printed out the instructions and followed them as best I could. When flashing firmware for some devices like a video card, you don't expand the firmware file, you must leave it compressed, I did not see instructions on whether to unzip it before renaming it, so I unzipped it. Is that right or wrong. Also when I did remove power and reboot, everything was the same. Also there is no usb port on my card so I don't that tool would work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I printed out the instructions and followed them as best I could. When flashing firmware for some devices like a video card, you don't expand the firmware file, you must leave it compressed, I did not see instructions on whether to unzip it before renaming it, so I unzipped it. Is that right or wrong. Also when I did remove power and reboot, everything was the same. Also there is no usb port on my card so I don't that tool would work.

Yes, you must unzip and you get the file E682v5.030.eeprom. you rename this file to firmware.eeprom. Remember, you must have the fwloader_1_0.exe and your renamed file in the same folder.

So basically all you do is open the controller web page. The launch fwloader. Go to web page and click Update Firmware. Wait and look at leds. If the single greem one and red one is flashing back and forth then firmware is updated. When I did it the web page looked funky under the controller name so I typed in a word then hit save system info. It looks correct now. Not sure what that was all about.

Last edited:
I decided to try the Sandevices way of updating so I reverted back to 4 using my prop plug and then used the FWloader to install 5.030. Worked as it should even using refresh but I rebooted anyway.
One way to tell if it's update is the LEDS. The single green LED next to the red one will go out. After the update that green and red LED will flash back and forth.

Last edited:
I decided to try the Sandevices way of updating so I reverted back to 4 using my prop plug and then used the FWloader to install 5.030. Worked as it should even using refresh but I rebooted anyway.
One way to tell if it's update is the LEDS. The single green LED next to the red one will go out. After the update that green and red LED will flash back and forth.
Yes I'm am getting all of those indicators as I did exactly as you described, the problem is I don't get the alternating red/green leds after the initial green goes out.

Yes I'm am getting all of those indicators as I did exactly as you described, the problem is I don't get the alternating red/green leds after the initial green goes out.
Make sure your sequencing software isn't running. I'm not familiar with Xlights but Vixen outputs to controller even when you're not playing a sequence unless you turn off output to controllers or close Vixen. Since the green and red lights aren't flashing back and forth then it isnt installing for some reason. The instructions have a few things you can check. No indication in Last Firmware Status Update window?

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes I stated a trouble ticket with him. I may just have him flash an eeprom and I will solder in another. It was a kit I built.

Do you have an 8 pin socket? If so solder that on the board and then you can easily remove when you need too. I use sockets on all ic's and network resistors.

Probably should mention. Resolder the contacts on the eeprom and try updating again. May have a bad solder joint. Just a thought.

Probably should mention. Resolder the contacts on the eeprom and try updating again. May have a bad solder joint. Just a thought.

Thanks, that's easy enough to try.

Well that did not help me, but it was worth a try. Just waiting on Jim now.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's easy enough to try.

Well that did not help me, but it was worth a try. Just waiting on Jim now.
There's also a phone numbed you can contact him at. I've called him a few times. If you contact him and get it resolved make sure you post it here for anyone having the same issue.

Back