E682 irmware for RGBW Pixels

This would have been good to post earlier in the thread. Has the card ever worked to control pixels? Does any configuration information get saved when you change and save it?

Actually the card works fine. The problem I have is I have some GE pixels that need timing adjusting and that's only available in firmware 5. I did build a completely different network using a Cisco router that uses the same network addressing that is native to the card. I ran it on my i7 laptop with no internet and the E682 as the only ethernet device. The same reaction occurred only this time I could see a rapid flashing amber LED on the router from the computer indicating it was transmitting data. However, there was nothing matching on the card's ethernet port. I did a little research on the prop programmer. There was a prop controlled video card that the programmer device was connected by using the 4 pin program header port. This port looks identical to the one on the E682. Well as I was typing this, Jim confirmed that you do use the program port and emailed me the procedure. Now I just need to buy a programer somewheres?

Actually the card works fine. The problem I have is I have some GE pixels that need timing adjusting and that's only available in firmware 5. I did build a completely different network using a Cisco router that uses the same network addressing that is native to the card. I ran it on my i7 laptop with no internet and the E682 as the only ethernet device. The same reaction occurred only this time I could see a rapid flashing amber LED on the router from the computer indicating it was transmitting data. However, there was nothing matching on the card's ethernet port. I did a little research on the prop programmer. There was a prop controlled video card that the programmer device was connected by using the 4 pin program header port. This port looks identical to the one on the E682. Well as I was typing this, Jim confirmed that you do use the program port and emailed me the procedure. Now I just need to buy a programer somewheres?
That's great that Jim contacted you.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Found one on Ebay. Should be here by the 21st. Amazon was too difficult to search, kept showing marine propellers. LOL

I posted that back in thread #7. He said he didn't have usb to use it.

I saw that. I believe the OP thought a USB port on the controller card was needed for the prop plug to work. Which I assume is why he's sharing that Jim confirmed that you use the 4 pin program port on the controller card and went and got a prop plug.

Exactly. Did not know it was a 4 pin usb adapter. I was thinking it was an older board that had a port already. There have been quite a few changes over the years, so I was not sure about that. Thanks for clarifying.

Just make sure when you get your propeller plug to connect it correctly. The plug has VSS on it and it should line up with the left most pin of the program port on the 682. The board is stamped VSS. Note. The 682 web page isn't involved in updating so there's no need to launch the web page when updating. The update is done directly to the chip.
I think you will love what 5.030 can do. Not sure why it was never officially released. My only beef is when making changes to have to save for each output. Doing it 16 times is time consuming. Would be nice to make all necessary changes then hit save for everything. Technically only one save button is really needed.

Last edited:
I decided to try the Sandevices way of updating so I reverted back to 4 using my prop plug and then used the FWloader to install 5.030. Worked as it should even using refresh but I rebooted anyway.
One way to tell if it's update is the LEDS. The single green LED next to the red one will go out. After the update that green and red LED will flash back and forth.

I got all that except the green red alternating flash at the end. My adapter is on its way. Hopefully this is the correct one.2109421.jpg

Well no joy on the usb serial adapter. The adapter is detected on comm 4 but cant find the Propellor chip. I had a problem with the initial build with the cpu identification jumpers. I'm thinking something may have been damaged to identify the chip even though it fully functions with the V4.08 firmware. If Jim is not able to sell me an upgraded eeprom, I guess i am stuck on 4 and won't be able to adjust pixel frequencies.

Oh it was powered up. All the LEDs were lit. Nothing was plugged into it other than the USB adapter, and the test pattern box was 0 or off. It's just not recognizing the chip.

Oh it was powered up. All the LEDs were lit. Nothing was plugged into it other than the USB adapter, and the test pattern box was 0 or off. It's just not recognizing the chip.
Not to insinuate anything but did you power both sides of the board? Sometimes it's the missed little things that get us.

Tom: you mentioned CPU identification jumpers. I think those are the eeprom jumpers. How about snapping a high res photo of the front and back of board and maybe we can for some things that could help.

Jumper should be on atml.
18f25400a48efee6352da501386346fd.jpg

Sorry just saw this. Yes those are the ones. Let me do some inspection and see if something is up with the solder.

Sorry just saw this. Yes those are the ones. Let me do some inspection and see if something is up with the solder.

I'd look at component orientation too. There are several parts that can easily be installed backwards, when they really only work in one direction. And they only way you know is by close examination of the component or looking at the length of the lead prior to soldering. Ya, I found out the hard way. :)

So never got anywhere with updating the eeprom. I decided to move on and try a full load test on the sans with everything I had ready as I have only ran one string or matrix at a time. I ended up placing the GE sting on section 4 by itself. To my surprise the pixels became responsive with just a few flickering. Then I dropped the pixel length from 90 to 70 and more of them became solid. Took it all the way down to 60 and now they respond perfectly. So I really don't need V5 firmware afterall.

One question is in section 3 I have 4 pixel strips. 2 of one brand and 2 of another. The first 2 follow the RGB pattern, the 2bd two have red and green reversed, but blue is the same. Is this some I can correct in Vixen?
GE Pixels.jpg

Back