E682 irmware for RGBW Pixels

So never got anywhere with updating the eeprom. I decided to move on and try a full load test on the sans with everything I had ready as I have only ran one string or matrix at a time. I ended up placing the GE sting on section 4 by itself. To my surprise the pixels became responsive with just a few flickering. Then I dropped the pixel length from 90 to 70 and more of them became solid. Took it all the way down to 60 and now they respond perfectly. So I really don't need V5 firmware afterall.

One question is in section 3 I have 4 pixel strips. 2 of one brand and 2 of another. The first 2 follow the RGB pattern, the 2bd two have red and green reversed, but blue is the same. Is this some I can correct in Vixen?
View attachment 43282

Did you ever get in touch with Jim about the programing?
Sounds like you need power injection if you have to drop to 60 pixels to get them working. Yes, you can color assign pixels in Vixen. I looked at your setup for the controller and you skipped universe 5. Also, outputs 3-1 to 3-4 are using universes 8,9,10,11 yet on output 4-1 you are using universe 9. Can't do that. Here is what it should look like.4.081.png

Thanks, I did not notice section 2 jumped to 6. What happens sometimes as I am making changes, and even though I am changing one item at a time, the page will display no connection like I refreshed it. Then when it loads some items will default to values I did not enter. One example is section 3 will default to universe 3 when I had something higher. If it does not fault out, it keeps the settings I have entered. Jim, said the same things in a couple emails that were already suggested here. I guess he doesn't have a way to send me an updated eeprom, but he has never said so directly; so I can only guess.

Thanks, I did not notice section 2 jumped to 6. What happens sometimes as I am making changes, and even though I am changing one item at a time, the page will display no connection like I refreshed it. Then when it loads some items will default to values I did not enter. One example is section 3 will default to universe 3 when I had something higher. If it does not fault out, it keeps the settings I have entered. Jim, said the same things in a couple emails that were already suggested here. I guess he doesn't have a way to send me an updated eeprom, but he has never said so directly; so I can only guess.
You must hit update everytime you change a line. So if you make a change to anything in 1-1 to 1-4 you can't change something in 2-1 to 2-4 and then hit update. It won't work. It will only update the line you hit update on. Unless there's something wrong with the eeprom chip it should update. So, let's do this. Message me your address. I have a spare 682 here. I'll send you the eeprom but I would like the one you have. Mine is mounted in a socket so it's easy to take out. How does that sound? I may even have a spare socket so you won't have to solder the chip to the board.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

PM sent. Thank you very much for helping me!!

So I got the settings updated where they should be; powered down and then back up. Noticed I still had test #15 running. I zeroed it and it crashed. The pic attached is what values it showed when it came back up. Seems to move section 3 values the most.

Crash.jpg

I now realize I have a serious problem with the 3rd bank. It will not hold any of the values I enter after power down. I am going t examine that area and see if I can detect anything.

Last edited:
Did you enable test 15 or did it do it by itself? Check and make sure all IC pins are in mounts. Sometimes a pin will bend outwards not making contact.

Last edited:
Check and make sure all IC pins are in mounts. Sometimes a pin will bend outwards not making contact.

Tom, these are all highly unusual symptoms, and at this point I'm not sure an eeprom replacement, if you could even have got one, would resolve this. I believe that this is likely caused by an assembly error as pmiller suggests regarding ICs. The prop plug not detecting a CPU is very suspect. That programmer doesn't even require 99.99% of the stuff on the board to talk to the chip., Inserting a 40 pin chip into a socket is tricky and soldering a socket in is another place where I would be spending time looking for the problem. It's not going to be reliable in its present state.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 9.28.55 AM.jpg

That is something that has puzzled me that it's not detecting the microcontroller, yet it is operational except the group 3 error. The only chip that is non-volatile is the eeprom. Everything else dies when power is removed. This is why I believe the eeprom is damaged goods. Mr. Miller has a test chip for me to try. We shall see what develops. Thank you for responding iflights.

So I have paused from this problem waiting until I received another working E682. What I found is my system still gives me the same error as the other card. I wanted to verify the comm port was working so I unplugged the tool and commanded a flash. Error came back "No ports found". Placed it back on the usb cord and plugged into the sans card and got the same error, No propellor device found on comm 4 port. So Now I'm not sure what's up???

Didn't see this confirmed in this thread, but the FTDI drivers found here were installed? ttps://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-ftdi-usb-drivers-windows

Yes. As matter of fact, I just repeated the whole ordeal with my I7 laptop just in case my PC hand an issue. No diff except comm 3 port error. Has to be a bad tool.

Just did a continuity test from each female pin on the tool to the solder points above, and it all checks out.

Last edited:
Yes. As matter of fact, I just repeated the whole ordeal with my I7 laptop just in case my PC hand an issue. No diff except comm 3 port error. Has to be a bad tool.

Just did a continuity test from each female pin on the tool to the solder points above, and it all checks out.

Bad Tool ? Are you referring to the prop plug ?

Bad Tool ? Are you referring to the prop plug ?
Yes he is. He couldn't get it to work on his board and he bought a controller setup from me that I know works perfectly. The prop plug won't upgrade or downgrade my controller either so it's got to be the prop plug.

Yes he is. He couldn't get it to work on his board and he bought a controller setup from me that I know works perfectly. The prop plug won't upgrade or downgrade my controller either so it's got to be the prop plug.

I guess that is just about right for 2020 ...............just can't end soon enough !

Or if the prop plug was killed by his board maybe having reverse polarity issues etc.

Maybe if he posted pictures of each side of the bad board,something may show a miss .

Last edited:
Funny thing is the board was operational with the exception of the 3rd group and when I replaced the new eeprom with firmware 5 flashed in it, it quit working. Placed the eeprom back in the original board and that board works.

Gremlins is all that comes to mind !

I would examine the board that is a problem under a lighted glass thoroughly to ensure each component is installed with proper orientation.
Then I would inspect every single solder join, going as far as giving them all a quick reflow .

just my thoughts aloud !

I upgrade 5 SanDevice boards a few weeks ago and had what sounds like the same issue. I tried from two different computers (both Windows 10) with no success, I spun up a virtual machine of Windows 7 and tried the update from there and it work perfectly. Not sure what it is about Windows 10 but it did not want to stream the firmware to the boards.

Must be a firewall issue or some other security. I have a win 7 pc tablet at work I can try tomorrow. Thanks for the tip I actually don't to reset it at the moment, but I should be able to save the eeprom contents with the same program to prove it works, correct?

So I got a new prop tool tonight and look what it did. No time to flash tonight, but it's communicating. Will try tomorrow.

Prop Chip on 5.JPG

Back