ElfPreview Output PlugIn (new)

MacabreRob

:happy::happy:Beta version 0.1.7 is now available. Links below have been updated as of 10/18/2013.:happy::happy:
---------------------------------------
Beta 0.1.7 Fixes:
--Fixed CPU Utilization error in playback code. Code now runs a lot smoother without trying to hog up the CPU. Issue was with the background image controller code.
--Fixed issue with closing a profile using the standalone editor. Profile would close out of the Channel Explorer before you were given a chance to Cancel it if you had gotten the dialog.
--Fixed setting with the Move Channel tool. Tool will now not remember if you had selected "Move All" the last time, so that you don't inadvertently move everything again, especially bad if you had Undo turned off.
--Standalone Editor, adding a new channel, the drop down color selector will now remember all the existing custom colors from the Profile.

---------------------------------------

It's been a long haul, but my newest replacement for the original Adjustable Preview plugin is finally ready for a public debut.

This is a replacement for the Editable Adjustable Preview (EAP) project. The king is dead, long live the king!

There were a number of issue within EAP which to resolve called for a complete gutting of the internal works. A lot of stuff had been slapped together and when it came time to fix one part, another part would flake off. Namely being able to select multiple channels utterly blew its mind, not to mention the concept of multiple Profiles, which I will get to.

While working on Build 9 of EAP, I had gotten requests to think about ways to integrate the product with other sequencers, which would not have worked at all under the old system. Also, adding new tools frequently broke old ones, there was a lot of code cross talk. Which is the kind of crappy coding you get if you don't plan what you want ahead of time :lol:

So, now we have the Elf Preview plugin. New name to signify the new breaking away from the old. On the surface, looks very similar to the old:

EP_screenshot.png

Some of the menus have shifted around, new art work for icons.

Major Changes include to ability to select multiple channels and apply a tool across all of them at once. This replaces using the Control key to erase across all channels, I'm afraid. Also, there is no way to use the original Adjustable Preview UI. That was a nightmare and was scraped.

Added is the ability to Lock channels, which prevents you from accidentally changing them.

Another new, cool feature is the ability to change the color of the channel that gets displayed on the preview window itself. For example, if you had a channel colored Yellow originally, you can change it to display blue in the preview window, and it is still yellow in the sequencer. Useful if you want to mark special channels when sequencing, but don't want that color to display when you preview.

Besides the Plugins, I also created a standalone program, called the Elf Profile Editor.

editor_screenshot2.png

One thing you will notice is that there is a tab above the profile being edited. Yes, you can have more than one open at a time. Also, you can change the Sort Orders (Add/Edit/Delete), add/edit/delete Channels, change the sequencer color of a channel, rename the channel, etc. It will also open Profiles from version 2.1.x, 2.5.x and Vixen+ of Vixen (I know V+ is still beta), and save them in any version. Haven't looks at V3 yet to see it would even be compatible...

I was going to add this extended functionality within the plugin, but that raise stability issues, so I thought it safer to confine that activity to the standalone.

Converting from Adjustable Preview to Elf Preview: Easy as pie, add Elf Preview to the list of output plugins for your profile, uncheck Adjustable Preview and open the Setup window and Save. It will copy the data over. Elf will not save over any AP data, so as long as you keep AP in your list of plugins (just unchecked), there shouldn't be an issue of losing your data.

This is still beta code, so please, please, PLEASE back up any and all Profiles before opening with these tools.

Files:
Vixen 2.1.x version
Vixen 2.5.x version
Vixen+ version
Elf Profile Editor standalone

Any issues, please post in this thread or PM me and I will take a look as soon as I can

Last edited:
2.5 works but the load time is about half a minute with no indication that anything is happening. The standalone Elf Editor has the same load time issue. Both versions seem to work fine once they get running.

The issue that I have is that the Adjustable preview no longer loads, so you’ll lose the graphics if you save it. Elf Preview would be a new plugin and won’t contain any graphics. I don’t see a way to transfer to the new plugin yet. I tried to cheat and just rename the plugin and the ID tag in the sequence but even though Vixen didn’t crash, the plugin didn’t show the graphics.

The standalone editor does still seem to work on profiles that use the adjustable preview plugin though, so this may be the way I go anyway.

I am not having much luck getting the new preview to run in Vixen 2.1. I extracted all 4 dll files from the zip file and copied them to the Plugins folder. I opened Vixen, opened a sequence, opened the profile manager, saved and then unchecked the Adjustable Preview. I then added ElfPreview to the list of plugins and opened plugin setup. After a short delay, plugin setup opened and the background image and all items for all channels were visible. I then saved and exited plugin setup and closed out the profile manager. When I click the play button I get the following error message and no image is visible. I went into the profile manager and unchecked ElfPreview and checked Adjustable Preview and the original preview screen worked fine. Any ideas on how to resolve this will be appreciated.

Ken

Attachments

• Vixen_21_Error.jpg
    Vixen_21_Error.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 88
The link should work now. I had a "+" sign in the name and I think that was messing it up. Couldn't even rename or delete the file using the GoDaddy interface... :-*

Ken, Can't quite read the error message on the screen shot. Can you reply with the message itself from the box? This only happened when you tried to do a playback, correct?

Last edited:
2.5 works but the load time is about half a minute with no indication that anything is happening. The standalone Elf Editor has the same load time issue. Both versions seem to work fine once they get running.

The issue that I have is that the Adjustable preview no longer loads, so you’ll lose the graphics if you save it. Elf Preview would be a new plugin and won’t contain any graphics. I don’t see a way to transfer to the new plugin yet. I tried to cheat and just rename the plugin and the ID tag in the sequence but even though Vixen didn’t crash, the plugin didn’t show the graphics.

The standalone editor does still seem to work on profiles that use the adjustable preview plugin though, so this may be the way I go anyway.

Ernie,

The PlugIn and Standalone editor will look for AdjustablePreview settings in the Profile file if there are no pre-existing Elf Preview settings, and import the data over. Question: how many channels are you working with on your Profile? I hadn't time to test with a Profile with a very large number of channels yet. I just had gotten it stabilized and out the door Friday before I had to go pick up my daughter, so I was working with my own Profiles...

Here is another image of the error. If you can't read this one, let me know and I will type it out. I am running Vixen 2.1 and yes, it only happens on playback.

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• Error (2).jpg
    Error (2).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 65
Did you have a previous version of the ’Adjustable Preview’ that use a ‘docking.dll’? The ‘Adjustable Preview’ doesn’t load when this file is over written. Vixen shows that the ’Adjustable Preview’ doesn’t load and removes it. Maybe I have to revert back to the original Vixen version for this to work.

I’m at work right now and I only show version 8 of your ’Adjustable Preview’ and ‘docking.dll’ isn’t part of it.

BTW, I have 256 channels in the preview but I don’t think this is the issue that I’m seeing, at least not yet.

Okay, I found a copy of Vixen 2.5.0.9 that didn’t have the ‘docking.dll’ and it all works fine. I just have to remember to uncheck the old one. :rolleyes:

I saw the error message you posted and was curious what "Music Box Dancer" was on the title of the message. Is that the name of your profile or sequence?
Also, I though the latest versions of Vixen were 2.1.1.0 and 2.5.0.8. Not sure where to go to get those later ones you mentioned...

As far as the old version of Adjustable Preview, beta 8 used the Docking.dll. I've used that dll since the start so I'm not sure how it's working without it. Also, try removing the Adjustable preview dll from out of the folder altogether and replace it with KC's original one found at VixenLights.com. Delete the docking.dll and use the one from the new zip file.

Rob,
I am using Vixen 2.1.1.0. I am making progress. I deleted my entire Vixen file folder and all files. I reloaded a clean version of Vixen 2.1.1.0. Then I moved all my sequences, music, and profiles back in. I found the cause of my previous error. I have 78 channels in my profile but 6 of them are for beat track and wave. When I set up Elf in the profile, I told it to only use channels 1 - 72. Elf didn't like that. It wanted all 78 channels. When I changed the setup to channels 1 - 78, ElfPreview started working on playback but a new problem surfaced. Now my background image only shows in setup and will not show on playback. All of the channels show up and work in playback but no background image. I went back to profile setup and reloaded the back ground image but it refuses to show in playback. "Music Box Dancer" is the name of the sequence. Thanks for your patience with me. I really like this plug-in and am determined to get it working correctly.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
Vixen 2.5 is working now. Yeah, I had to revert it back to KC’s preview. It seems to work fine except you need to set the preview window a background because keyboard doesn’t work unless you select the sequencer window. You can’t use F6, F7 or F8 to control playing the sequence. At least the red X button is back. :lol:

The Elf Preview works in Vixen+ but the colors are wrong for me while playing a sequence. I’ve used the Drag-n-Drop channel reordering capability of Vixen 2.5 because Vixen+ doesn’t have it yet. Elf Preview appears to be displaying the channels as though they were in the natural order and not the order I put them in. The Elf Preview editor does display the order correctly though.

BTW Vixen 2.5.0.9 was KC’s mod. It was updated to add the ability to control Vixen from an Android OS I believe. KC made it more stable than 2.5.0.8 also. I don’t have any issues with it anymore. Vixen 2.1.4.0 also had eleventh hour stability tweaks. I don’t remember what they were but it was in the scheduler.

I got Vixen 2.1.4 by using the check for updates under the help menu, but I just tried the update on this laptop which has 2.1.0.0 and it did not update. I have never found a site where a 2.1.4 can be downloaded.

Rob,

Love using the new tool! Do you have a list of shortcuts? One I am looking for is the ability to erase a pixel I just added without switching to the eraser tool. I believe in the old preview left click added and right click deleted. Also how does one add a custom stamp?

Thanks again for a great improvement. The megatree tool alone is an awsome improvement.

Randy

Rob,
I am using Vixen 2.1.1.0. I am making progress. I deleted my entire Vixen file folder and all files. I reloaded a clean version of Vixen 2.1.1.0. Then I moved all my sequences, music, and profiles back in. I found the cause of my previous error. I have 78 channels in my profile but 6 of them are for beat track and wave. When I set up Elf in the profile, I told it to only use channels 1 - 72. Elf didn't like that. It wanted all 78 channels. When I changed the setup to channels 1 - 78, ElfPreview started working on playback but a new problem surfaced. Now my background image only shows in setup and will not show on playback. All of the channels show up and work in playback but no background image. I went back to profile setup and reloaded the back ground image but it refuses to show in playback. "Music Box Dancer" is the name of the sequence. Thanks for your patience with me. I really like this plug-in and am determined to get it working correctly.

Thanks,
Ken

I will look into why telling it to only work with 72 out of 78 channels causes issues. As far as the background in the preview window, I realized I still had that bug after I already put it out there. I should have it fixed for the next build.

Love using the new tool! Do you have a list of shortcuts? One I am looking for is the ability to erase a pixel I just added without switching to the eraser tool. I believe in the old preview left click added and right click deleted.

Did you try the undo button?

Also how does one add a custom stamp?

On the toolbar, select the custom image stamp option. You should see a textbox show up with a browse button next to it that will allow you to select a bitmap of your choice. Light colored pixels will show up as the stamp. Let me know if it works, it's been a while since I tested that...

It seems to work fine except you need to set the preview window a background because keyboard doesn’t work unless you select the sequencer window. You can’t use F6, F7 or F8 to control playing the sequence. At least the red X button is back. :lol:

I will check to see if I accidently left off the keyboard shortcuts for those buttons when I made the 2.5 version. Sounds like something I'd do... :cry:

The Elf Preview works in Vixen+ but the colors are wrong for me while playing a sequence. I’ve used the Drag-n-Drop channel reordering capability of Vixen 2.5 because Vixen+ doesn’t have it yet. Elf Preview appears to be displaying the channels as though they were in the natural order and not the order I put them in. The Elf Preview editor does display the order correctly though.

The Channel Explorer is supposed to show the different sort orders, but I think I might have hidden that on the plugin version. I will unhide it for the next build and we'll see if it picks up your sort. And now that I think of it, I don't think the preview window is paying attention to the sort order... DOH! :disgust:

I will look into why telling it to only work with 72 out of 78 channels causes issues. As far as the background in the preview window, I realized I still had that bug after I already put it out there. I should have it fixed for the next build.

Thanks for the help Rob. I will look forward to the next build release.

Ken

Back