ESPixelStick Group Buy - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller kit

I ordered a new ftdi since it was multiple boards. It should be here today and I'll re flash

Sent from my bat phone using Tapatalk

I got one to program and was able to bring up the web page and verify configuration. I swapped out the antenna to program the next one (after powering off), and I'm getting sync errors. I'm also getting the following on compilation. Is this normal? It appears to continue compiling with this message, but then craps out on the load.

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\1.6.5-1160-gef26c5f\cores\esp8266\libc_replacements.c:408:22: warning: 'struct tm' declared inside parameter list [enabled by default]
time_t mktime(struct tm *timp) {
^
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\1.6.5-1160-gef26c5f\cores\esp8266\libc_replacements.c:408:22: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want [enabled by default]

The FTDI board is connected only for setup?

After which the unit needs no other physical connection to your computer, correct?

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I got my Espixelsticks programmed. I can connect to them from my computer. but I cannot get 2811 pixels to work. i am trying to get them to work in test mode from Xlights. i have read about everything i can find and have not had any luck. i am sure it is probably some small thing i did or did not do. any help would sure be appreciated.

E1.31 Status.pngNetwork Config.pngNetwork Status.pngPixel Config.pngXlights setup.png

I don't use multicast, but shouldn't that be checked in your network config if you are using it within xLights?

thanks for the replies, i believe i have tried it both ways. here is my latest Network config. pixels still not doing anything.

netowrk config 2.png

I'd suggest sticking with unicast for testing as there is a known bug with multicast and some brands of Wifi access points. Also, has this pixelstick ever worked or is this the first time you are using it? IE, could this be a hardware problem maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have 4 pixelsticks. now it seems I cannot even get the pixelstick to configure as unicast. I enter the values, hit save and it comes back after a few seconds and my entries for IP, Mask and gateway are all zeroes again. I have tried on 2 different ESPixelsticks.

I started from scratch re-downloaded firmware 1.3. programmed the ESpixelsticks again. set my SSID and password. still cannot get any output. I did notice this in serial monitor. Does the multicast address look correct? thanks for any help anyone can provide.

network settings.pngmulticast address.png

First thing I noticed is that you don't have Multicast checked in the configuration. So I'm not sure if the serial monitor info is correct or not.

Also...open the command prompt in Windows and type ipconfig and paste the results

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies. I checked and multicast is definitely checked now and serial monitor showed the multicast address. does the multicast address seem strange? I also tried the ipconfig but the window that would show the results just appears and disappears immediately, before I can read anything. I don't know why.

I sure appreciate those of you trying to help. it seems like it should be so straightforward.

serial monitor 2.png netconfig3.png

You need to open a command prompt window first. Hit the "Windows key + r" on your keyboard then type "cmd" and hit enter. You will get a command windows where you can use the "ipconfig /all".

Thanks for your replies. I checked and multicast is definitely checked now and serial monitor showed the multicast address. does the multicast address seem strange? I also tried the ipconfig but the window that would show the results just appears and disappears immediately, before I can read anything. I don't know why.

I sure appreciate those of you trying to help. it seems like it should be so straightforward.

View attachment 30800 View attachment 30799

The address on the configuration page is only used for static configuration. If using DHCP, it will not show your current address (the Network Status page will though). It sounds like there's some multicast issues in your environment. Have you tried configuring xLights to do Unicast instead?

I've had a number of issues (not all of which are resolved, unfortunately).

Once you flash it, hit the reset button. You can leave it connected so you can see the serial output. Without doing that, I wasn't getting anything either.
I'm also having issues with it staying connected to my router - if the router loses power, the ESP's have to be rebooted / reset / power cycled. They're accessible via their config page, but looking at the E1.31 status page, nothing changes. As soon as I reboot (from Admin page), they work fine. I'm using all Unicast, too.

I've had a number of issues (not all of which are resolved, unfortunately).

Once you flash it, hit the reset button. You can leave it connected so you can see the serial output. Without doing that, I wasn't getting anything either.
I'm also having issues with it staying connected to my router - if the router loses power, the ESP's have to be rebooted / reset / power cycled. They're accessible via their config page, but looking at the E1.31 status page, nothing changes. As soon as I reboot (from Admin page), they work fine. I'm using all Unicast, too.

The modules need to be rebooted if you reboot your access point. I plan on adding a watchdog in the future to monitor AP status and handle it automatically in the future. Are you having any other connection issues aside from that? I'm using 16 of them for my show in Unicast mode with a Ubiquiti Nanostation locoM2 as the AP without any issues.

Back