ESPixelStick V2 Group Buy - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller kit

Mine showed up today in the mail...looks like I have a small soldering job (actually 4) to do. :thup: Now I just have to remember what I wanted to use these for. :wink:

http://forkineye.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ESPixelStick-V2-Assembly-and-Usage.pdf

So my only question is the orientation of tactical switches. I see the square hole for pin 1 on the boards but didn't see anything on the switches for pin 1

There is no pin 1 designation on the switches, however the pattern is slightly rectangular. You can rotate the switch 180 degrees and it works the same. This picture should help, just note the sides where the pins exit the case of the switch. Note the V1 and V2 boards have the switches oriented differently (rotated 90 degrees).

ESPixelStick V2 by smerrick, on Flickr

Last edited:
There is no pin 1 designation on the switches, however the pattern is slightly rectangular. You can rotate the switch 180 degrees and it works the same. This picture should help, just note the sides where the pins exit the case of the switch. Note the V1 and V2 boards have the switches oriented differently (rotated 90 degrees).

ESPixelStick V2 by smerrick, on Flickr

So if I orient the board so that the lettering for PROG and REST is normal when looking at it I would say 2 pins at the top and 2 at the bottom if I'm looking at the picture correctly. Feel kind of dumb that it's just not that obvious to me :)

I got mine today but I haven't been keeping up with this long thread.. Is there any where I can go to just find what info I need to get them working without all the misc other stuff? I'm sorry but I have so much going on, I just need a point in the right directions that doesn't have all the thread pile ons... please.. please...

Bless you.. I actually had the doc but started to read about all the firmware changes and just hung my head down knowing I was going to have to spend hours following..
Man have I got a full plate.
My CNC Router dust shoe came in today so I now have to fire that up for the first time and learn the software.... And put the table vacuum system together.
My 3D printer I just got a few days ago I tore apart to do some upgrades and still got that all in pieces.
My stuff from Ray is going to show up Monday for me to finish all the arches and the RBL.
I finally got most of my instruments for the animatronic snowman orchestra I want to build.. after I design it and figure out how to program it all.
Finally going to make a pixel mega tree this year.. Got the pixels.. needs to get strips from Jim
Going to finally outline my house with pixels this year..
Gotta make large singing faces for my Redwood trees.. Need a welder.. ha ha..

............................... And next week...... ...................

Damn.. I must be nuts! ha ha.. Oh yeah.. I hate having to learn software.. aaarrrggghhh...

Bless you.. I actually had the doc but started to read about all the firmware changes and just hung my head down knowing I was going to have to spend hours following..
Man have I got a full plate.
My CNC Router dust shoe came in today so I now have to fire that up for the first time and learn the software.... And put the table vacuum system together.
My 3D printer I just got a few days ago I tore apart to do some upgrades and still got that all in pieces.
My stuff from Ray is going to show up Monday for me to finish all the arches and the RBL.
I finally got most of my instruments for the animatronic snowman orchestra I want to build.. after I design it and figure out how to program it all.
Finally going to make a pixel mega tree this year.. Got the pixels.. needs to get strips from Jim
Going to finally outline my house with pixels this year..
Gotta make large singing faces for my Redwood trees.. Need a welder.. ha ha..

............................... And next week...... ...................

Damn.. I must be nuts! ha ha.. Oh yeah.. I hate having to learn software.. aaarrrggghhh...

I'd recommend sticking with the current release (2.0) which includes the flash tool - https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick/releases. There have been a lot of changes since, but we still have lots of testing to do before a new release. And when released, an update file will be provided so you can OTA flash via the web interface if you're already on 2.0.

For those still awaiting their orders to ship, I should have most (if not all) the domestic ones packed up tonight. The International orders take much longer to prepare, but I should be getting to them this week.
thanks,
-shelby

I'd recommend sticking with the current release (2.0) which includes the flash tool - https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick/releases. There have been a lot of changes since, but we still have lots of testing to do before a new release. And when released, an update file will be provided so you can OTA flash via the web interface if you're already on 2.0.

For those still awaiting their orders to ship, I should have most (if not all) the domestic ones packed up tonight. The International orders take much longer to prepare, but I should be getting to them this week.
thanks,
-shelby

Thanks Shelby.. I most likely won't get to these for awhile.

ok, out of 10, looks like I have one bad one... swapped wifi cards, no change. Almost like there is something wrong with the voltage regulator... Red light is bright for half a second on power up, then dim. Pressing reset the red goes bright, release and dim. Programming it goes bright, then dim after being flashed, and it never connects....

Thoughts on what to look for, maybe a cold solder joint on the SMT items?

ok, out of 10, looks like I have one bad one... swapped wifi cards, no change. Almost like there is something wrong with the voltage regulator... Red light is bright for half a second on power up, then dim. Pressing reset the red goes bright, release and dim. Programming it goes bright, then dim after being flashed, and it never connects....

Thoughts on what to look for, maybe a cold solder joint on the SMT items?

Sounds like the switcher is flaking out for some reason. Could be defective or need to be re-flowed. Sending you a PM.

Back