Firework Light Simulation

My wife told me I should not be encouraging people to put up large poles in their wives front yards. ( I guess this means I won't be getting any firecrackers.)

Last edited:
That price does seem decent. I wonder if it could be mounted on a smaller pole and guyed. Maybe a radio tower and tilted up.

I was very impressed with the pricing as well. You can order without a pole, here is a pic of the head. The only thing I liked was the base was rated for 98mph winds with no guy lines but you can always bend rebar and weld on some bolts to get something close to the mounting bracket. Their poles are tiered and like a professional sign post.

Attachments

• M-DSCI00436.JPG
    M-DSCI00436.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 163
We tried and think successfully built a firework light using the porcupine fish structure ball. We did not use all 24 or 25 holes but 13 we where worried on it not handling the weight. Thinking of designing a different ball next year although this stood up to 45 mph wind the other night. We are playing with sequencing it was added as a last minute addition, like everything else ran out of time adding it and a spiral tree.

Cost wise fairly cheap.
We used 100 ct incandescent light strings cutting in them in half and wrapping each strand onto a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe 36" long. We used strands of red, blue, green and attached a strobe to the end. These rods have a 1/2"slip to 1/2" male thread on the end and screw into the ball which has a 1/2" pvc slip to female fitting attached to it. We made them this way it took about 10 minutes a rod I have a couple spares in case one part went out I unscrew and replace a whole rod.

The ball is attached to a pc of 1/2" galvanized pipe which we slid 4- 12" pcs of 3/4" PVC over it wrapped in yellow lights acting as the fuse. Overall we have an 8 channel firework.

We are working on trying to get a video of it by itself but may take a few days. Looking at the YouTube video it starts at about 10 seconds on the left corner of the house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNOTEpAFZ8

Cost:
We bought three balls for $40.00
PVC pipe and fittings about $40-50
Galvanized pipe $17.00
Strobes $80
Lights ($3 per string but we cut so $1.50) $40.00
total about $225.00 +/-

Happy Holidays
Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 125
Nicely Done!

How many segments are each of your fireworks legs? I see you used 100 count minis/2 per segment (I think).

Regards,
Lightman

I don't think the price is that bad if your just buying the spheres. I don't think I could build the sphere for $15. I would like to see some closeup photos of the sphere however as the web site for them doesn't give any really close shots.

Found a closer picture on Amazon. Now comes the questions. Do they split apart so you could run wiring up through the tubes? If they designed them in two half that bolt together that would be a real help.

I was looking to use RGB LED strips using two possible way to mount them.
  • First, just tie wrap strips to regular PVC pipe, That would not require the spheres to come apart.
  • Second, use UV resistance clear PVC pipe and put the lights inside then cap the ends. You would either have to put a hole near the base, not good, or be able to split the spheres so they could be wired.

Too bad that one of the ports was not made for a larger pipe for mounting.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356221086.437754.jpg

I don't simulate; I build them. :)

However, a mortar (4" pipe) with a strobe at the bottom and a speaker behind it for the FOOMP would be a nice touch.

I will add some close up pics of the rods and sphere. In a few days

Here is some more detail....

I drilled out the lip inside each hole of the sphere to allow the 1/2" pvc to slide in 2-3"
We only used every other hole so 13 total worried about strength of sphere. We filled
the sphere through each pvc stub pc with the expandable foam to add stability.

Each rod has three colors Blue - Green - Red and then the strobe (wire for it runs through pvc and comes out
a hole near the bottom) we cut the 100 string lights down to 50
and soldered connections just for weight although it still looks ok at night. We are getting a lot of compliments.

Connections are a work in progress as the pic shows kinda all over the place.

I have just started looking into RGB and that maybe a way to go...

Still working on timing of the hole thing to simulate better. I will do my best to get some additional photos
here over the next few days.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

Sorry. We have been trying to remodel a bathroom and kitchen
I will do my best to get some pics next few days

Dennis

Back