Firework Light Simulation

I have been pricing with three different Chinese suppliers, one of which I have dealt with multiple times. They all seem to be within $100 of one another on the same item. They are willing to ship without the pole, and I am considering doing so. I am having them get me pricing with and without the pole as to product and shipping.

Knowing the cost of steel here vs China, it may actually make sense to pay shipping and get the pole from them as well. It would be nice to have the actual setup. My plan is to get a price locally for a steel lamppost of the same height and compare at that point.

They are intoxicating. I have gone over in my head a million times purchasing these vs building something myself with c7 sockets and emt conduit and these just look so awesome.

I used the Bill Dance Fish Porcupine and even planning out the weight of the light fronds, it looked a bit tacky. I painted the things black, the pvc black, and it worked ok. The problem is you have to really reinforce the porcupine because if you have a frond in the top holes it could pull away from the base.

But, I think if I had used smaller fronds, I would have probably been more satisfied with it but the lights still put a good bit of weight on the fish thingie. With proper secure wire ties, I didn't have any problems with the wind and rain.

I attached a couple of pictures...and, if you look closely, the holes have to be grinded down on the inside of each hold because about 1/2 inch in there is a circle lip/ring that would normally stop the pvc from going in any further, but to be able to hold the pvc, I just used a dremel to grind them down. I also wanted to be able to remove the fronds after the season for storage...but it is a mess trying to force the pvc into those holes with all the lights and trying to pull them out after Christmas was even worse...hope there aren't any pictures floating around of me fighting the fish thingie for my light poles... But, the point is that modifications will have to be done regardless.

Hope ths helps. It had a good effect, just wanted something a bit more exciting. I added icicle lights on the tips of the fronds for added effect - you can do a lot of things with the individual control of your own fishwork and a LOT less expensive. I used white bang sticks, different lengths than the other ones that chased out the fronds. Hope this helps give you an idea of what the fish thingies are (sorry to steal that term...I liked it, explains it perfectly!)

Attachments

• fishthingie3.jpg
    fishthingie3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 124
  • fishthingie1.jpg
    fishthingie1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 107
  • fishthingie2.jpg
    fishthingie2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 105
Hmm - that is definitely not "pretty" in the daylight (no offense!)... I'm thinking more about using clear tubing and putting a thin LED strip in them instead of wrapping lights on the outside of the poles. To be honest - I didn't even think about storing the thing after the show either - looks to be fun to tear down! :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard back on pricing? I think my guy in China started Chinese New Year early... will have to bug him tomorrow.

I think you're the only guy to have used the fish attractor for your Xmas display????

I love it and have ordered myself a set to play with. I don't care how it looks in the day, because no one comes to see the show during daylight hours anyways.

Awesome job!

I used the Bill Dance Fish Porcupine and even planning out the weight of the light fronds, it looked a bit tacky. I painted the things black, the pvc black, and it worked ok. The problem is you have to really reinforce the porcupine because if you have a frond in the top holes it could pull away from the base.

But, I think if I had used smaller fronds, I would have probably been more satisfied with it but the lights still put a good bit of weight on the fish thingie. With proper secure wire ties, I didn't have any problems with the wind and rain.

I attached a couple of pictures...and, if you look closely, the holes have to be grinded down on the inside of each hold because about 1/2 inch in there is a circle lip/ring that would normally stop the pvc from going in any further, but to be able to hold the pvc, I just used a dremel to grind them down. I also wanted to be able to remove the fronds after the season for storage...but it is a mess trying to force the pvc into those holes with all the lights and trying to pull them out after Christmas was even worse...hope there aren't any pictures floating around of me fighting the fish thingie for my light poles... But, the point is that modifications will have to be done regardless.

Hope ths helps. It had a good effect, just wanted something a bit more exciting. I added icicle lights on the tips of the fronds for added effect - you can do a lot of things with the individual control of your own fishwork and a LOT less expensive. I used white bang sticks, different lengths than the other ones that chased out the fronds. Hope this helps give you an idea of what the fish thingies are (sorry to steal that term...I liked it, explains it perfectly!)

I think you're the only guy to have used the fish attractor for your Xmas display????

I love it and have ordered myself a set to play with. I don't care how it looks in the day, because no one comes to see the show during daylight hours anyways.

Awesome job!

I agree. Its always hard to be the first, but that first Prototype is the most important. I'm sure it won't be hard to cleanup by using Rope light on the spokes.

Hmm - that is definitely not "pretty" in the daylight (no offense!)... I'm thinking more about using clear tubing and putting a thin LED strip in them instead of wrapping lights on the outside of the poles. To be honest - I didn't even think about storing the thing after the show either - looks to be fun to tear down! :rolleyes:

Sorry - really didn't mean to 'dis your work :oops: - the effect is really good and unique for sure. I was concerned that these fish ball thingies would not support the weight as-is (and it appears you found that out). I was trying to think of a way to make the arms lighter so they could be longer.

no offense taken...

they were definitely prototypes - and always the most difficult to hook up. 2 of the fireworks took two controllers and the other one took three. so, give yourself plenty of hookup time if you go the diy firework route.

and, not to go off topic, but i am amazed at the amount of people who drive by our house during the day. a couple of times, people played it off like they were coming by to donate to the spca, but many of the times i just happened to look out the window and see rubberneckers.

i think people are fascinated and have to see what it looks like during the day. but we try our hardest to not make it look a hot mess during the day...but let's face it, we are putting on a light display. and using lots and lots of pvc...

I have not heard back from my guy and now it is Chinese New Year time, so probably going to be a couple of weeks. Life pretty much stops there from Feb 3 - Feb 23.

I have not heard back from my guy and now it is Chinese New Year time, so probably going to be a couple of weeks. Life pretty much stops there from Feb 3 - Feb 23.

Hmmmm... do they have a groundhog day, too?!?!?!:shock:

:lol:

Has anyone gotten pricing back from China yet?

I've been researching since Nov for a complete 26'-32' LED firework light and found some decent pricing and sizing. Out of all the guys I've contacted over there Sunny Lamps look the best and are the manufacturer of the ones that http://www.1866palmtree.com/ carries as well as are the ones Will uses at http://lightazmic.com/ (except both 1866palm and Will aren't using the LED ones)

So based on number of "lamp tubes" or "prongs" here is what I am seeing:

48 tubes, dia of crown 2m, height 3m SL-F-044 is $358
48 tubes, dia of crown 4m, height 8m SL-F-001 is $555

Shipping to San Francisco port was around $250-$350 and anything over 3m was where the prices for shipping jumped.

I will note she even offered custom programming to mix colors and actions that I wanted.

Over all not to bad until I started thinking about setup. After talking to Will and the 1866palm guys you have to build a concrete base of 3x3x4 that you sink their metal connection frame into. Of course if I wante to run these for the 4th and xmas possibly and I don't have a ladder truck to do it. The weight of the pole is about 200lbs and the head fully assembled with lights and prongs/tubes is about 200lbs. Will said he had to put his pole up and then the head without tubes and then add the tubes in the bucket.

After all that I scrapped the idea and if I do one it will be a fish attractor and not quite as tall or elaborate...oh well, I would love them but the storage and putting up would kill me ;-)

-jds

Attachments

• M-IMG_0820.jpg
    M-IMG_0820.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 108
  • M-mountingbracket.jpg
    M-mountingbracket.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 99
  • M-DSC07245.JPG
    M-DSC07245.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 109
  • M-DSCI0225.JPG
    M-DSCI0225.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 97
So based on number of "lamp tubes" or "prongs" here is what I am seeing:

48 tubes, dia of crown 2m, height 3m SL-F-044 is $358
48 tubes, dia of crown 4m, height 8m SL-F-001 is $555

Shipping to San Francisco port was around $250-$350 and anything over 3m was where the prices for shipping jumped.
-jds

I think that is decent pricing. The problems that I see is these things are built like Permanent Sign fixtures. As such they are very heavy duty and require permanent type mountings.

Kelly

Back