Firework Light Simulation

The shortest cut on most rope light is 18 inches.

I bought the blue rope light for $30, the other colors are on hand from other projects.
I bought a $2 package of finish nails and am using leftover wire from when I previously remanufactured mini strands to make the rope light power connectors, already half done.
$150 for strobes from CDI, but am already rethinking this, if a regular c9 that was faded out would look better.
I am guessing about $100 for all the steel and pipe for a new pole.
8 channels computer controlled lighting controller, I think i have a few of those somewhere.

No where near $1800 and I will have DIYed it.
That's more than half the fun.

Joel

With all ue respect, what you are building will not be anything near the $1800 one I saw. The 18 footer would be $1200 and it had 40 spokes on it. I think its great and if we can figure it out, I definitely want to DIY it, but there are other economies to consider. There are those who are not up to tackling a project of this size. (possibly including me). In all likelyhood, we are looking to purchase just the top piece with the spokes and lights, but without main pole and controller.

To be fair, for comparison, your cost estimates should NOT exclude the cost of materials you have laying around. I have enough parts laying around to build a Ren 24, but that wouldn't make it free :) There will certainly be lost dollars investigating and trying different products. I'm ok with that, but you certainly need to figure it in. When I did some rough calculations, I was figuring 300-400 budget plus controllers. More if I do Fiberglass spokes. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to make it so I can do a lot more than just a firework look with it. That means a lot more than 8 Channels. Conservatively, I was figuring 64 Channels.

All that said, I'm pulling for ya! I would love a good reference implementation. I'm not an engineer, I'm an Implementer :)

btw... do you think the 3/16 rod will be stiff enough? I assume you are talking Fiberglass?

I am laying out my firework. No one will be able to view this from behind, so how do you think 2d spokes would look. I am planning on using 16ft so like 20 spokes.

John

I am new to fiberglass rod... I found this site which sells fiberglass rod and tube far less expensively than the driveway markers.

http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-tube-rod.htm#pricelist

This makes sense seeing as the markers have added material, reflectors, etc. and all we need for this project is simple rods, plus they have all lengths.

Is anyone here with a radio/ham background who might know more about this stuff? Does this look like it would work for our project?

I am waiting for pricing from China on an 8 meter and 6 meter unit shipped to my nearest seaport which is Cincinnati. These are incandescent without the pole and have 60 spokes each. What really makes these impressive to me is the very large size and number of spokes and when you start pricing materials, I really don't see any way to do it for less than $500-$600 each...

I will report back as soon as I get a price..

From a basic construction standpoint, I can see how this would seem simple at first:

- Get some steel or fiberglass rods (40-60)
- Cut them to various lengths (in 18" increments, assuming rope light spacing)
- Buy 4-5 spools of different color ropelights
- Cut ropelight in 18" lengths and attach power cords to them
- Tie wrap to rods
- Fabricate a center hub with curved steel pieces (~10) as vertical attachment points for the rods
- Fabricate an attachment method for the rods to the attachment points

From my thinking, so far this isn't *too* bad to fabricate. The difficulty comes in here:

- Make a simple attachment method for all of the electrical connections. :-(

If you have 60 rods, each with 5 colors (plus an end C-9 or strobe), you've got 60 individual connections you need to bring all together into one (x 6 for each segment of each rod). Now if I remember, incandescent rope light is ~5w (?) per foot. If you've got 90' @ 5 watts, then you've got 3.75 amps per channel. OK, then instead of 6 channels, bump it up to 12 channels to get the amps per channel down. Think of the maze of wires. Now you could fabricate boards and purchase headers and connectors to simplify things a bit, but you're talking about 12 boards with 31 connectors going into each (you need 1 for power). Then you need enclosures, and everything needs to fit into the head of the firework. :-:)-?

Someone smarter than me is gonna need to figure that part out!!!!

Yep, I was going to go with Molex connectors. The cost isn't too bad until you start purchasing 300 ropelight power connectors and an equal number of molex connectors for the spokes..

Whichever of us breaks down and buys one first will have to provide detailed info and pics for everyone else who wants to DIY it..

Is there a port in California that can accept the Chinese goods? Maybe someone in California is willing to purchase one of these units to "disect" for us as you stated (bhays)?

Please let me know if you can find a cost for the unit.

Is there a port in California that can accept the Chinese goods? Maybe someone in California is willing to purchase one of these units to "disect" for us as you stated (bhays)?

Please let me know if you can find a cost for the unit.

For those in HI, I'm assuming we need to find somone who will sell it without the main Pole. It would be pretty stupid to pay 200 to ship a $200-300 pole.

I really wasn't counting on another large project this year, but I am very interested in the fireworks ever since someone else mentioned it last year. Now, you guys have really gotten me going.

I have traded Voicemails with the LED PalmTree / Fireworks guy in Northern Cincinnati. Hopefully we'll hook up soon and I get really figure out what the minimal cost would be to purchase complete units or partials in bulk.

Kelly

I doubt we'll be able to purchase without the controllers... pole won't be a problem to omit.

I think your probably right, but since the controller appears to be mounted inside the Pole, I was kinda hoping that's the way it could be :)

I will follow-up with him this week.

Kelly

I am eager to hear. I should have a price from China with shipping tomorrow as well, so we can compare.

Cool I am super interested in buying one if the price is right. I have been messing around with this and I think to a lower scale it can be built. When I sequence what my plans are I feel it looks adequate. Well thanks for looking into this.

John

Don't have to pay any duty from China. Just have it shipped via UPS or FedEx and you should be fine.

I don't think we can do that due to size and weight... most likely will have to go sea freight. Would have to be DHL at any rate.

I spoke to my co worker who is Chinese and imported several things via container.

He did not pay duty on the items he brought in (diesel generator).

I spoke to my co worker who is Chinese and imported several things via container.

He did not pay duty on the items he brought in (diesel generator).

That's good news, I have not had to on anything I have gotten yet, but I have only done sea freight once and the boxes were clearly marked samples.. so hopefully this can go the same way.

My contact did get back with me. The 8 meter model I want apparently ships in a 14' box (just the head, no pole) and his usual forwarder said it was too long to ship.. so he is trying another forwarded and will get back with me.

i had priced two smaller ones of these (3MX3M) out back in july of 2008 since my yard isnt big enough for the larger ones. but, there are two things to consider besides shipping. First, quality is a risk with something like this - not like a string of led lights you can sample, this is a serious investement. Second, since i am not an electrician, and the one thing i do not diy is electric work, is the connection and installation of the base. Even for the 5M pole, the underground base must be installed 24" in the ground...which to me means a pretty permanant install since it requires concrete...you should be able to take the pole/firework if you move, but the base will be a bit more challenging to carry with you if you choose to change residences...for that matter, even if you just want to change where the thing is in your yard!).

So, the price of the actual firework is not the issue, it is about what you would expect something of that size to cost, but the problem with these is the bulk - but if you think about it, there are a lot of logistics required in shipping something that large from there to here (a bit over 120lbs).

At minimum, add a base shipping rate of about <> 350-400 bucks just for shipping - i am sure there are ways to save on this, but since there is no port near dallas, sea freight is more complicated, but less expensive.

but, bhays is right...a group buy on these would almost be unproductive unless everyone lived within a close range. maybe a couple of different groups - but a full on group buy is going to be more expensive than having the thing air freighted to your door. plus, to get the lowest prices, you would need to buy more than we would probably order.

man, i had finally gotten over my obsession with these things and now you guys have gotten me started wanting them again. i need to break up with these forums at least until july!!!! but i just cant!!!

one thing about purchasing one of these is to not plan on getting these for cheap - if you are getting a deal that sounds too good to be true, you know what they say. the good ones are not cheap - that with the fact that they are there, we are here, and they are really heavy!!! there is nothing we can do about that...even as an executive platinum with american airlines, it wouldnt even be feasible for me to go there and pick one out and fly it back with me (believe me...i have exhausted all conceivable ways to get these things here). keep the thoughs flowing!

jamey

Back