fm transmitter

Okay,

Here goes...I have the boards ready to etch. I am trying to get all my parts ordered from Mouser now. However, the compressor-limiter BOM that Tim posted seems to be the xmitter bom. The links point to the same BOM.

Does anyone have a Mouser BOM for the Compressor/Limiter board?

Also, has anyone other than Tim built this unit successfully? I have PM'd Tim but he seems to be off the map right now and this is really my only option for a transmitter. I have to get it working...!!!!!

Thanks,
Chris
I haven't worked on mine for some time. I have most of the boards put together, but have not had answers to my questions above so I've put the project on hold for now (no shortage of other things to work on, either). I was thinking about firing up the soldering iron for the fm transmitter again. If I do and have any failure or success, I'll post it here.

Okay,

I am still working on the compressor Limiter BOM.....I have most of them but I keep running into a wall with the ones below:

C1 - 4n7 (EU) or 6n8 (USA), plastic
C2 - 470n plastic
C3 - 4n7 plastic

I do not really understand the 4n7 notation that well but I think that 4n7 is 0.0000047 mF/0.0047 uF/4.7 nF.

The plastic part just throws me for a loop.

I also cannot seem to find an RCA connector that matches the stereo encoder board or the compressor/limiter board.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Geez, I had forgotten about Tim's written instructions! I also found his Compressor/Limiter BOM and the explanation behind the old Resistor/Capacitor codes. Just goes to show that sometimes you need to read back through ALL the posts!

Cheers,
Chris

Okay,

I am still working on the compressor Limiter BOM.....I have most of them but I keep running into a wall with the ones below:

C1 - 4n7 (EU) or 6n8 (USA), plastic
C2 - 470n plastic
C3 - 4n7 plastic

I do not really understand the 4n7 notation that well but I think that 4n7 is 0.0000047 mF/0.0047 uF/4.7 nF.

The plastic part just throws me for a loop.

I also cannot seem to find an RCA connector that matches the stereo encoder board or the compressor/limiter board.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Plastic is Polymer or polyester most likely a loss in translation.

4n7 is 4.7nF check google for a few sites that will convert to the pF and uF values.

Here’s a chart that I did in Excel that should make it easier for you to visualize.

capasitorconversion.jpg

I'm nearing the end of assembly and thinking about testing.
I am having a hard time finding a cable to connect the LCD to the connector on the transmitter. I have a PC1602F display purchased from Tim. It has a 16-pin edge-type connector on it - similar to the one on the front page of his instructions, which I'm guessing a standard breakaway-type header can be soldered to it. Searching Mouser's website, I can't find a ribbon cable that has any indication of being a standard HD44780-type to connect from the LCD to the transmitter board.

Also, wondering about Jumper J7 and which pins connect to which ones on the LCD display A and K...for the backlight.

Is there a part # or section to look at on Mouser's website for cables to connect to the header pins for power and other sundry connections for these Transmitter-related boards, including LCD and BNC cables we'd use to interconnect these boards? The BNC cables I found in stock at Mouser were pretty expensive $5+ each cable.

Thanks for any help or opinions you can provide.

I see on the datasheet, that the A lead on the display is + and the K lead is - for the backlight

Last edited:
I just ordered the LCD Display as well and have not looked for that part yet. I am still looking for the RCA phono connectors for the compressor limiter board. They are shown in the pira photos but I cannot find a pn that matches the board.

Mouser part numbers:

161-0096-E Red
161-0098-E White

Those are the jacks I purchased, though I haven't put them on the board yet, so I can't confirm they're correct.....though will try them later today and report back.

Mouser part numbers:

161-0096-E Red
161-0098-E White

Those are the jacks I purchased, though I haven't put them on the board yet, so I can't confirm they're correct.....though will try them later today and report back.

Same problem...those are two pins aligned down the center of the plug. The board seems to be made for a 3 pin mount.

How about any of these Mouser part numbers for the RCA plugs?

161-0370
161-0360

161-4214
161-4215
161-4216

I don't think they're the same as the picture on the instructions or website, but it appears to me that they may work.

I missed a lot in the conversation but if you are looking for the same connectors shown in all the pictures on the pira site, they are BNC connectors instead of RCA's which is why they have the three mounting points. Haven't seen an RCA with 3 poles before. You can see the locking lugs on the side of the connectors in most pictures on the site.

I may be looking at totally different pics than what you guys are working on though so if that's the case, please accept my apologies for butting in.

Brian

rkhanso,

Those are the same parts I found also. I checked the datasheet with a printout I had of the board and the top two seemed the best fit. According to the datasheet, 161-0370-E is Red and 161-0390-E is Black. I haven't ordered them as yet to really verifiy the fit.

The other numbers seemed to work also.

I saw that one when I first started looking. I think if you look closely, the triangular 3 pins are all sheild and the 4th middle pin is the center conductor. If you examine the board, the three holes are not common.

I have just about decided to go with bulkheads and short lengths of wire. I did post this question on the Pira forums. I do have a Polish website with the part. However, my search for a supplier anywhere close to us has been fruitless. http://www.tme.eu/phono-socket-angled-for-pcb-black/arts/en/a17/cc-223b__2.html

Cheers,
Chris

Good catch. After looking at the drawing, I see what you mean. I didn't notice that and the datasheet wasn't clear. Oh well, onward with the search.

I'm trying to program the PIC (18F1220) for the Stereo Encoder board but am running into an error. I am a complete novice programming PICs. When I search for a fix, I don't understand what they're talking about to figure out what to do.

Here's the error:
Code:
Programming Target (9/28/2009  12:13:44 PM)
PIC18F1220 found (Rev 0x7)
Erasing Target
Programming Program Memory (0x80 - 0xFFF)
Verifying Program Memory (0x80 - 0xFFF)
Programming EEPROM Memory (0x0 - 0xFF)
Verifying EEPROM Memory (0x0 - 0xFF)
Programming User ID Memory
Verifying User ID Memory
Programming Configuration Memory
Verifying Configuration Memory
PK2Error0027:  Failed verify (Address = 0x300006 - Expected Value 0x80 - Value Read 0x0)
PICkit 2 Ready
Then, the red light flashes on the Sure Electronics brand of PIC programmer clone.

I can erase the PIC without an error, but when trying to program the stereo.hex onto the PIC, get the above error. Could someone help?

I'll keep looking for an RCA jack, but may just get a panel mount jack mounted in a box and run some wire betwixt the board and jacks.....

As soon as I can get a BNC plug and solder the resistors, will give some juice to the transmitter and see what happens.

I'm thinking of making a little daughterboard type thingy and just use one of the common rca jacks that are so readily available upon the daughterboard. Seems like a quicker solution as I searched quite a while through the mouser stuff, a lot of them without pictures.

I'm trying to program the PIC (18F1220) for the Stereo Encoder board but am running into an error. I am a complete novice programming PICs. When I search for a fix, I don't understand what they're talking about to figure out what to do.

Here's the error:
Code:
Programming Target (9/28/2009  12:13:44 PM)
PIC18F1220 found (Rev 0x7)
Erasing Target
Programming Program Memory (0x80 - 0xFFF)
Verifying Program Memory (0x80 - 0xFFF)
Programming EEPROM Memory (0x0 - 0xFF)
Verifying EEPROM Memory (0x0 - 0xFF)
Programming User ID Memory
Verifying User ID Memory
Programming Configuration Memory
Verifying Configuration Memory
PK2Error0027:  Failed verify (Address = 0x300006 - Expected Value 0x80 - Value Read 0x0)
PICkit 2 Ready
Then, the red light flashes on the Sure Electronics brand of PIC programmer clone.

I can erase the PIC without an error, but when trying to program the stereo.hex onto the PIC, get the above error. Could someone help?

I'll keep looking for an RCA jack, but may just get a panel mount jack mounted in a box and run some wire betwixt the board and jacks.....

As soon as I can get a BNC plug and solder the resistors, will give some juice to the transmitter and see what happens.

One note....and you may know this already but I wanted to be sure...make sure you have an antanna hooked up before powering up the xmitter.

Back