Helix Ether-Node Controller

The Bridge does not respond to the ethernode. It does work perfectly when I direct attach it to my computer. I can run sequences on it and change its configuration.

Ok so it is the connection on the node or the signal going to it. Can you go from your mainboard to the node and see if it is the signal or the node. In other words remove the bridge from between then and see if that generates an error file on either board. Cause if there is an erroe it should generate the file. Also check on your cards to make sure ypu don't have a bug I found which was thw files did not transfer correctly and some werw left empty

Ok so it is the connection on the node or the signal going to it. Can you go from your mainboard to the node and see if it is the signal or the node. In other words remove the bridge from between then and see if that generates an error file on either board. Cause if there is an erroe it should generate the file. Also check on your cards to make sure ypu don't have a bug I found which was thw files did not transfer correctly and some werw left empty

I removed the Xbee radio from the ethernode during show execution to try to generate an error file. No such luck.

Strange. Try taking out the bridge and go with the node directly to your Helix mainboard. By going direct you should generate an error file. Also make sure your second xbee is set up different frpm the first so there are no communication issues

Strange. Try taking out the bridge and go with the node directly to your Helix mainboard. By going direct you should generate an error file. Also make sure your second xbee is set up different frpm the first so there are no communication issues

Still no error file. and the Xbee setup is good. I am out of ideas at this point.

So am I. It has to be something with your config file. Can you talk to the node via the xbee ???? With your files on the card do they all have data on them as I have had that issue myself where the firmware never loaded on the sd card

From what I can tell all the SD cards have good data on them. My next thought is that the EEPROM that came with the ethernode is bad or corrupt. Can I reprogram it with a prop plug using the firmware from the SD card?

Nope you can't you would jave to get it off Greg. What are the size of the files on the sdcard ???? You can get to thos by putting the sdcard into ypur computer. Open it up to read the files then click on each file and click on properties to see the size of each file.

The config file is 2 KB and the firmware file is 32KB. I can open the config file in note pad and see data there.

Good. What about your other files for the node sdcard ????

Sorry that was the ethernode the HNC is the same and it runs the test show on it no problem. the .seq files are anywhere from 20 to 40 kb on both cards.

Ok. Can you communicate with the 2 units with the xbee ???? Also does your node play other files alright ????

I think at this point I'm at my wit's end. For some reason I can't get my Ethernode to connect to the NC. I have tried both wired and wireless communication and V3 and V2 main boards with no success.
my setup is as follows:
Network controller
Ether Node
E1.13 Bridge
Renard SS8 (for testing purposes. the final output will be to 10 REN PX1's)
I don't get any activity from the Ethernode. The heartbeat flashes and the stopped led illuminates. When using the wireless mode, the AI and TX LED's work as advertised. When the Ethernode is connected to the Bridge, the link and 100 light illuminate. I would appreciate any help from the group.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, the heartbeat LED flashes on then off then back on and stays steady on. The stopped LED also comes on. After this, then nothing else happens. Is this correct?

If so, then the firmware isn't being loaded off of the microSD card during boot up. I don't know why I didn't have the heartbeat LED flash in the SOS mode like the Helix main boards but this would have made this situation more obvious.

You can further test this theory by booting up the Ethernode without the microSD card installed and see if you get the same responses from the LEDs.

Greg
What I notice is the heart beat led on the ethernode blinks normally until the sequence starts at which time it goes off. That led then resumes blinking during the pause between sequences and turns off again when the next sequence starts.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, the heartbeat LED flashes on then off then back on and stays steady on. The stopped LED also comes on. After this, then nothing else happens. Is this correct?

That is correct.

You can further test this theory by booting up the Ethernode without the microSD card installed and see if you get the same responses from the LEDs.

I gave that a shot and it gave the same result. I even formatted both cards and swapped cards in boards. Both cards are known good cards. I used both of them last year in my hardware and like I said, the HNC plays a show off both cards.

If so, then the firmware isn't being loaded off of the microSD card during boot up.

After a physical inspection of the board, the SD socket looks secure and the resistor array looks secure as well with no solder bridges.

If so, then the firmware isn't being loaded off of the microSD card during boot up.

Could the EEPROM have been corrupted or dumped the firmware? If so could I get the right program to load into the Ethernode? It seems after all of my troubleshooting and comments from the group this may be my last option.

Kiowamike, I have a weird thing to try. Put an ice cube in a baggie and hold it on the propeller chip and try to boot it. I had issues with the helix last year and earlier this year from what Greg determined to be a change in the propeller chips. It would work perfectly when kept cool, but it would heat up and not boot unless cooled. He never found out what the issue was yet. Last year mine played fine with the case opened and a small fan blowing on it. If I closed the box, it would scramble the sd card and crash. I don't know if you have the same issue, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I ended up buying several propeller chips and finally found one that works fine.

Kiowamike, I have a weird thing to try. Put an ice cube in a baggie and hold it on the propeller chip and try to boot it. I had issues with the helix last year and earlier this year from what Greg determined to be a change in the propeller chips. It would work perfectly when kept cool, but it would heat up and not boot unless cooled. He never found out what the issue was yet. Last year mine played fine with the case opened and a small fan blowing on it. If I closed the box, it would scramble the sd card and crash. I don't know if you have the same issue, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I ended up buying several propeller chips and finally found one that works fine.

Interesting observation. Worth a try though.

Back