Holiday Coro Singing Pumpkin

We live in Florida and lucky that we still have great weather for the next few... Well... Months. So, we decided to incorprate that into our Halloween display. Sweet potato vine, which is very hardy here, looks a lot like pumpkin vine. What we are going to do is grow this in five pumpkins. These will be placed behind our 8 lighted pumpkins. That way, it's going to look like they are in a patch!

Here's a picture of how it looks right now- this is 6 or 7 individual plants:

pvine1.jpg

I started this thread about 13 months ago, and here it is, a year later, and time to get ready for halloween. It's quite gratifying when you pull out a display piece that hasn't been on in a year, plug it in, and everything works just perfectly. All bulbs, all pumpkins, the wireless controller that's built into it, and even the clock radio I put outside -- still tuned to my station and bingo, right on. Didn't even have to adjust the volume level.

Here's hoping all the Christmas displays will work as well but so far, I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:

I started this thread about 13 months ago, and here it is, a year later, and time to get ready for halloween. It's quite gratifying when you pull out a display piece that hasn't been on in a year, plug it in, and everything works just perfectly. All bulbs, all pumpkins, the wireless controller that's built into it, and even the clock radio I put outside -- still tuned to my station and bingo, right on. Didn't even have to adjust the volume level.

Here's hoping all the Christmas displays will work as well but so far, I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:

I had to take all mine down today due to hurricane sandy. :-((

Even when we don't have hurricanes, our fall/winter can get pretty windy. How do these hold up in windy situations?

I left my pumpkin up this week. We have a couple of day of 50mph gusts here in OH, it didn't even phase it.... I built the pumpkin similar to the Holiday Coro trees I posted about earlier. The trick is to get it anchored into the ground, I drive a couple of pieces of rebar into the ground about 1.5 ft.

I also have a banner sign up, the wind popped a couple of zip ties on it, otherwise been lucky.

Even when we don't have hurricanes, our fall/winter can get pretty windy. How do these hold up in windy situations?

I have the big one- 8x8 and it's all how you build it. I feel fairly comfortable in most normal wind conditions for this time of year. I live in Florida and if there is one thing we know, it's wind. However, if I was in the upper east, I would have taken it down.

A member from another forum shared his face movements for this song, James (Torqumada286.) I wanted to do this one on my own but time snuck up. We did the little pumpkins and tweaked the face in these videos. Since we didn't do the whole thing, I wouldn't feel right selling it. Side note- this 'viral' video for this year that had this song that took off was James' faces. The guy who posted the video credited him, but the media didn't pick up on that.

We still have some work to do, but we are about 98% ready. I ran the 45 minutes show a few times tonight and it looks very good.

I shot this with my iPhone. I was too lazy to go and get my real camera. Ha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQk8sqV4q8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2j-cK4Wq_w

Personally, I want to thank all of you for your help and support with this. You guys rule. Particularly, I want to thank David at Holidaycoro. Thank you for your support, your help and advice.

Thanks, guys! Here is my final picture from Halloween 2012. I had everything out for the night in this shot. I should have moved my car and used my camera instead of my phone.

smaller.jpg

Not sure why my pics wont show in the post below.

Attachments

• 2WP_000227 - Copy.jpg
    2WP_000227 - Copy.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 1WP_000226 - Copy.jpg
    1WP_000226 - Copy.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 3WP_000228 - Copy.jpg
    3WP_000228 - Copy.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 4WP_000229 - Copy.jpg
    4WP_000229 - Copy.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
With the 4th over, we can now start thinking about Halloween! And our giant signing pumpkin. We are waiting for the hit summer song to pop up like it does every year. Hooray!

We've decided to add two more pumpkins this year. They are the smaller ones from holidaycoro.com. They'll go to the left and right of my giant one. After assembling three pumpkins now, I can say I am getting good at assembly. Ha! Here's a video I made of me building one. It took about 35 minutes and I condensed it down to 25 seconds:

http://youtu.be/wZbngNRlow4

Back