Lets see your DIY Cutouts

Well to raise an old thread...
My Hocus Pocus rabbit got stolen this year along with a PVC candy cane.

attachment.php

It won't stop me from putting a display out next year but still makes me mad.
I had a video camera setup with an old 1 gen. Tivo but it looks like the Tivo locked up a few days prior and I failed to check up on it. Oh well,
Maybe a laser trip wire hooked up to a flame thrower next year...Where's the DIY forum for that?

There are a number of ways. You can project the image with a projector. You can enlarge an image at a copy shop, try one that provides blue-prints for architects, they have large paper; then trace that pattern onto the surface. You can enlarge it manually buy drawing a grid over the image, then draw a larger grid on the wood surface and copy/follow the lines within the grid over the image. You can buy patterns, I like the patterns offered by The Winfield Collection, http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/

Good luck and have fun.

New member from So.Cal. Here are a few cut outs that I am proud of....ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342781.929453.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342737.195794.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342737.195794.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342755.829728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342755.829728.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342806.025995.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342806.025995.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 88
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342868.721735.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405342868.721735.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 105
Idapop3, love those cut outs, you did a great job and I am sure they were appreciated a great deal by the veterans who see them!

I never served, but I appreciate all veterans for what you have sacrificed. Every Memorial and Veterans Day, I go all out for them. I have had several veterans stop and thank me. I always thank them. It is the least I can do for them, I just wish more people thanked them and appreciate them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My neighbor is expecting their first child in the coming month. What better gift than a cutout for the lawn, right?
2uryza4y.jpg

Coroplast, Krylon, some quick masking, and a super size marker to outline when done. Three years old now, haven't had to touch it up or anything.

IMG_3555.jpg

Yup, just spray paint. Some blue tape and newspaper for quickie masks. You can see the over spray before I cut it out:

Linus.jpg

Last edited:
Much easier to handle and store, also. It is the thicker coroplast, 10mm, so one needs to pay attention while cutting it, but it works well.

Much easier to handle and store, also. It is the thicker coroplast, 10mm, so one needs to pay attention while cutting it, but it works well.
What do you mean that you need to be more careful? Is that so you make sure you cut through the extra thickness? Or does the blade veer off track occasionally?

On the 4mm coro, with a sharp knife, you can basically cut any shape you want with next to no effort. On the 10mm coro, not only it is thicker overall, but the individual wall thickness is also greater, so it takes a high amount of force when using even a sharp utility knife. The edges left after cutting it are also sharp enough to cut, should you slip and slide your hand along them. Basically, if you use a blade of some sort, you must use some foresight and caution, or it can get you. I ended up using some large sheet metal shears on mine. They look like scissors on steroids.

On the 4mm coro, with a sharp knife, you can basically cut any shape you want with next to no effort. On the 10mm coro, not only it is thicker overall, but the individual wall thickness is also greater, so it takes a high amount of force when using even a sharp utility knife. The edges left after cutting it are also sharp enough to cut, should you slip and slide your hand along them. Basically, if you use a blade of some sort, you must use some foresight and caution, or it can get you. I ended up using some large sheet metal shears on mine. They look like scissors on steroids.

OK, thank you, that makes sense, I hadn't thought of that. I guess you'd want to make the cut portion as simple as possible since it is so much tougher to cut out.

Back