New vixen version

KC,
there is one thing i would ask (no big deal if you cant) is there a way add a feature that allows LIVE edits.
for example, if you have a channel that you are troubleshooting - raising and lowering intensity and have the channel respond immediately.
i have found this to be very helpful with other applications, and thought that perhaps this may be something to add to this.

It's already there Ken, In the top left of your sequence window you see a Label titled "Channels" Then a text box, the next button over has two boxes and two check marks, that's your Test Channel feature. Click that button, and then it'll bring up a new dialog box. When that box opens, any channel highlighted will be set to the brightness of the slider on the right. (Use CTRL to select multiple individual channels or SHIFT to select multiple channels in one large block.)

KC,
We have never meet, neither even shared a coffee, but I am indebted to you for you software. A BIG Thanks to you and the team assisting you.

It's already there Ken, In the top left of your sequence window you see a Label titled "Channels" Then a text box, the next button over has two boxes and two check marks, that's your Test Channel feature. Click that button, and then it'll bring up a new dialog box. When that box opens, any channel highlighted will be set to the brightness of the slider on the right. (Use CTRL to select multiple individual channels or SHIFT to select multiple channels in one large block.)

thanks Josh

KC, I think you must have put something "extra" in your coffee! :)

First of all....I have only been here for three years....This does not qualify as "Stoneage"
Secondly, I have not done much except to be a sounding board and asking LOTS of questions. Sometimes I think I am more a hinderance than help. So this post puts WAY TO MUCH CREDIT IN MY DIRECTION! But I appreciate the thoughts :lol:

We all appreciate what you are doing!

Cheers,
Chris

KC, I think you must have put something "extra" in your coffee! :)

First of all....I have only been here for three years....This does not qualify as "Stoneage"
Secondly, I have not done much except to be a sounding board and asking LOTS of questions. Sometimes I think I am more a hinderance than help. So this post puts WAY TO MUCH CREDIT IN MY DIRECTION! But I appreciate the thoughts :lol:

We all appreciate what you are doing!

Cheers,
Chris

Dang... why didn't I get any of this coffee? :)

KC

Glad to hear you are all "busting our individual and collective butts to achieve that goal", and we all appreciate it greatly. But please don't kill yourselves. I'm sure the new vixen software will be great as always, but in the mean time, Vixen 2.1 is working great and I'm sure most of us will agree to that. I for one love to push the limits of the program and will be trying to go to 16 houses this year, but that is another story.

So please, take your time and we all understand that other things pop up from time to time, (family matters, work, etc.), I'm sure what ever the new Rev has in store for us, we will all love it. I have only been using vixen for 2 1/2 years now and I feel like an expert. You have made it that simple.

Again, Thank you and your team for all you do. Please let us know who and when we can help in any way.

With 20k in your "trash 80" you could implement a one channel sequence and still have memory left over to do other things with.

Dean

KC,

Behind you all the way! Eternally thankful for all you do... and also the "collectoive butts".

Look forward to September....

Lightman (Brian)

has there been anymore update about vixen 3, as the last i could see was back in march.
im not expecting anything this year, but hopefully maybe early next year?
I know there is great work going on, just after a progress report if thats possable
thanks alec

Hi Alec!

We've been releasing a few test versions -- 3.0.1.x versions -- for people that want the cutting edge and want to provide feedback at an early stage. I can't find the post where KC provided links to those test versions, but if you search his posts you might be able to find something.

We're currently working hard as we really want to get a *decent* beta release out very soon, for people to use this year if they're up for it. Obviously for some of the more hardcore guys, their deadline has passed (as they needed to start sequencing back in June/July!), but if there's some people who have small setups that can play around with it, and maybe even use it for a display this year, that would be awesome and would give us great feedback.

We've done a bunch of work in the last couple of weeks to polish up the new filtering/patching style; I think we were going to try and release another test version in the next few days (maybe? will have to check with KC.) Will see what KC thinks?

Cheers,
Michael

Michael, that's good news. I started playing with it when it first came out but realized that there would be substantial changes. I didn't want to invest the time required to layout my setup and code it all only to have the foundation changed. Is the release at a point where groundwork and layout created now would be compatible with the release version? I may play around with it for the halloween display if it is stable enough.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comments. I would say that it's probably not stable enough from a forward compatibility point of view just at the moment; though I can't think of any specific problems off the top of my head, it's one of many things we will have to assess before we release an 'official' version that people can expect to use and be supported for going forward. It might very well end up being the same config/file format/etc. that we currently have: but it's not something we've explicitly sat down and said "yes, people can start to base their displays on this setup; we will ensure any updated versions going forward will be able to pull this data in and migrate it or use it."

Halloween is..... 6/7 weeks away? Given prep time as well, that might be pushing it, I'm not sure. We'll definitely have another version within that time; but I wouldn't expect it to be a stable release, just another 'test/preview/feedback' release. But by all means, try it out -- and let us know what works, and what doesn't! :)

Back