New vixen version

Um, what about my Atari PC? did you even know they made a PC? I didnt until I picked this thing up at a yard sale for 3 bucks. It even has a game that I can play, called M.U.L.E.

Will this new vixen work on my Atari PC? I am curious though, will the new vixen automatically create subroutines in the motherboard to create new circuitry that will automatically send wireless signals to the XBee controllers?

Many of us are moving up in channel counts and mixing in lots of RGB devices into the setups and it would be good to know if we can look forward to some new features in Vixen this year. If this is not the case then we can either live with it as-is or move on to LSP if that meets your needs. Several folks have already started their sequencing and many more will be soon and we can't wait forever for the next release.
I too am at a point where I must make a decision. I'm planning a Halloween display and I'm using 4 universes of RGB pixels. I doubt the new Vixen will be out by then, which I can live with. My color chases just wont be as cool. But then Christmas... I will absolutely need either LSP or Vixen 3.0 for that. If 3.0 will not be out before Christmas and I'm forced to use LSP, then I'd like that crystal ball so I know now what to use for my Halloween display.
All that being said, I would much rather contribute my $80 to KC. I bet many of us are in that same situation. I wonder if some paypal donations could help ensure that it comes before Christamas? Since I'm doing a Halloween display, maybe it would be beneficial for me to be a beta tester so I can go live prior to most people and give some feedback? I don't wanna blow up KC's inbox so if anyone speaks to him, run that by him for me.

Thanks

I just tried out the new version and loaded in an old Wizards In Winter sequence. Ran it -- and it mowed my lawn and washed the windows on my house! It's awesome!

Except now I have grass clippings all over the keyboard and I have no idea how to get this mower up the stairs from my basement...

I would much rather contribute my $80 to KC. I bet many of us are in that same situation. I wonder if some paypal donations could help ensure that it comes before Christamas?

If you look at previous posts concerning KC and Vixen, you will see there has been many attempts to donate to KC to help support Vixen.
He created and supports Vixen as his hobby and he wants it to remain free. He will not accept any donations.

I had to draw a line in the "sand" as to when I would need to start sequencing. It would difficult for me to use the current version of Vixen to sequence the number of channels I will have for this Christmas.
So I have a date set that if the new version is not available by then, I will have to make arrangements using other software for this year. I would prefer to use the new Vixen.

There is always next year if I can't get it in time.

P.S. KC thanks for Vixen, its an awesome program, and we look forward to your future release.

Is there a list of features that will be in 3.0 somewhere? How you guys know that sequencing will any different?

I will stay with VIXEN and it is as Simple as that.

Thanks KC for all you have done. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Is there a list of features that will be in 3.0 somewhere? How you guys know that sequencing will any different?
I've gone back and read all the posts by KC. Maybe I am just reading between the lines or eagerly hopeful. The most recent post to give us insight to where he is going with 3.0 was the poll he did this past November.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?13309-The-State-of-Vixen

As far as what will be Vixen 3.0 will be... guess we will find out when KC bestows his gift to us.

I had to draw a line in the "sand" as to when I would need to start sequencing. It would difficult for me to use the current version of Vixen to sequence the number of channels I will have for this Christmas.
So I have a date set that if the new version is not available by then, I will have to make arrangements using other software for this year. I would prefer to use the new Vixen.

Fair enough. :) What's that line in the sand? ie. you mention that you've decided on a cut-off date; when is that date?

I just tried out the new version and loaded in an old Wizards In Winter sequence. Ran it -- and it mowed my lawn and washed the windows on my house! It's awesome!

Except now I have grass clippings all over the keyboard and I have no idea how to get this mower up the stairs from my basement...

It must be my lack-of-sequencing-skills. My Wizards sequence only started the lawnmower.

Can I get a copy of yours? I need a basement. The crawl space I have just doesn't make it for me.

Fair enough. :) What's that line in the sand? ie. you mention that you've decided on a cut-off date; when is that date?

July 1st is our "line in the sand".
I need to trial some other software this month so I'll be ready to make a decision.

With 7700 channels to sequence, we probably should have already started the sequencing. I do have the benefit that my fiance participates, so we can get twice the work done in the same amount of time.

With 7700 channels to sequence, we probably should have already started the sequencing. I do have the benefit that my fiance participates, so we can get twice the work done in the same amount of time.

Good grief! That seemed.... unusually high, until I read your sig, and realized it was mostly in pixel nodes. :)

What are you planning on doing with the pixel nodes? what style of effects? (eg. are they going to be arranged in a giant grid and playing video, or just doing general lighing effects, like spins, bounces, etc.)?

7700 channels huh? Even with Excellent RGB tools, you probably should have started sequencing with an Army last July. Good Luck!

I need to trial some other software this month so I'll be ready to make a decision.

The mega tree made of pixel nodes has the benefit of being able to do all the things you mentioned.
This video is just a brief example of what can be done as just general lighting effects:
http://www.vimeo.com/17207457
and some non traditional effects using Cosmic Color Ribbons, which are not individually controllable, they are in groups 3 if I am not mistaken.
This is also only 2D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w95VUbxXzC8&

The pixel node LED Trix is going to be like a really low resolution TV.

The mega tree made of pixel nodes has the benefit of being able to do all the things you mentioned.
This video is just a brief example of what can be done as just general lighting effects:
http://www.vimeo.com/17207457
and some non traditional effects using Cosmic Color Ribbons, which are not individually controllable, they are in groups 3 if I am not mistaken.
This is also only 2D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w95VUbxXzC8&

The pixel node LED Trix is going to be like a really low resolution TV.

Damn cool! That looks very nice.

So what are you planning on putting on the LED Trix? (I haven't actually seen one before, so bear with me!) Videos/pictures/etc.? scrolling text?

Or, if I can rephrase my question, what do you *want* to be able to put on there (ie. when you're looking at different software packages)? What would be the ultimate plan?

Very simple video and scrolling text, my resolution for the pixel LED trix is only 24x20.

Check out Eddys video, he has two Trix similar to what I have envisioned mine doing.
http://vimeo.com/18012680

There are some ways to make video in Vixen without manually using the grid. With Vixen's current version, its not easy to do on a larger scale.

Very simple video and scrolling text, my resolution for the pixel LED trix is only 24x20.

Check out Eddys video, he has two Trix similar to what I have envisioned mine doing.
http://vimeo.com/18012680

There are some ways to make video in Vixen without manually using the grid. With Vixen's current version, its not easy to do on a larger scale.

Doing matrix displays and video based transitions (such as the wash of rainbow colors) like Eddy has done is fairly easy with what he used, which was LSP 1.8 from last year.

Matrix animation: http://vimeo.com/8376316
Transitions: http://vimeo.com/11414852 & http://vimeo.com/12069472

So I have access to an old Odyssey Game console. You know the one that you had to tape 'screens' to you tv to represent the different games (pong, tank, football, etc). Will it work on that!

FYI, very few programs can handle that many channels. LSP says "unlimited" but I there are reported issues with just over 2000 channels. KC is currently testing Vixen for full speed operation at just over 2000 channels as well.

FYI, very few programs can handle that many channels. LSP says "unlimited" but I there are reported issues with just over 2000 channels. KC is currently testing Vixen for full speed operation at just over 2000 channels as well.

ouch only 2000 channels, thats not much
this is my second year an i have 520channels, and i have'nt added any pixels to my display yet.
With people slowly going with pixel's high channel counts is'nt that far away

At some point a plug-in will need to be written that can benchmark a computer to see if it’s even capable of controlling the number of channels that are wanted. Just because a PC is new and has what appears to be a very fast processor, doesn’t mean that it will be perform as fast as it should.

Just like cars, the manufactures only advertise what they want you to hear. It’s called marketing.

Back