Nutcracker: What effects would you like to see?

Not an effect - but I like to be able to attach digital sheet music for nutcracker/xlights to use instead of just relying on soundwaves

Sean are we ever going to get garland like the original version? I thought it might be a good time to bring it up.

I just looked at Garlands, I dont know when it got changed into what it is now. The accumulation is way too fast, it is not holding the leading edge shape. ill look into at least adding the way it used to be back. I an not sure how to pull the RenderGarland.cpp history back since we renamed all effect files. It doesnt really matter who changed it, we just will get it back the way it was . I will also leave the current garland effect in case someone likes it that way.

Not an effect - but I like to be able to attach digital sheet music for nutcracker/xlights to use instead of just relying on soundwaves

Are u talking about file Sibelius or Finale? I was thinking of msking a midi file importer. Load notes to models, models mapped to instruments

Take beethovens 5th midi that had 40 different instruments and map to the future fixed piano effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No teasing Dan, please post the settings screen shots so they can figure it out and play with it.

OK. With 2016.9 out, you can try one of these:

Code:
Spirals	E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_3D=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Blend=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Grow=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Shrink=0,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Count=1,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Rotation=20,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Thickness=20,E_TEXTCTRL_Spirals_Movement=1.0	C_BUTTON_Palette1=#FFFFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette2=#FF0000,C_BUTTON_Palette3=#00FF00,C_BUTTON_Palette4=#0000FF,C_BUTTON_Palette5=#FFFF00,C_BUTTON_Palette6=#000000,C_BUTTON_Palette7=#00FFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette8=#FF00FF,C_CHECKBOX_Palette2=1	3100	5250	16	-1000
Spirals	B_CHOICE_BufferTransform=Flip Horizontal,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_3D=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Blend=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Grow=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Shrink=0,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Count=1,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Rotation=20,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Thickness=20,E_TEXTCTRL_Spirals_Movement=1.0	C_BUTTON_Palette1=#FFFFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette2=#7F0000,C_BUTTON_Palette3=#00FF00,C_BUTTON_Palette4=#0000FF,C_BUTTON_Palette5=#FFFF00,C_BUTTON_Palette6=#000000,C_BUTTON_Palette7=#00FFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette8=#FF00FF,C_CHECKBOX_Palette2=1	3100	5250	17	-1000

OR:
Code:
Spirals	E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_3D=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Blend=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Grow=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Shrink=0,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Count=1,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Rotation=20,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Thickness=20,E_TEXTCTRL_Spirals_Movement=1.0	C_BUTTON_Palette1=#FFFFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette2=#FF0000,C_BUTTON_Palette3=#00FF00,C_BUTTON_Palette4=#0000FF,C_BUTTON_Palette5=#FFFF00,C_BUTTON_Palette6=#000000,C_BUTTON_Palette7=#00FFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette8=#FF00FF,C_CHECKBOX_Palette2=1	3100	5250	16	-1000
Spirals	B_CHOICE_BufferTransform=Flip Horizontal,B_SLIDER_EffectBlur=5,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_3D=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Blend=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Grow=0,E_CHECKBOX_Spirals_Shrink=0,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Count=1,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Rotation=20,E_SLIDER_Spirals_Thickness=20,E_TEXTCTRL_Spirals_Movement=1.0	C_BUTTON_Palette1=#FFFFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette2=#FF0000,C_BUTTON_Palette3=#00FF00,C_BUTTON_Palette4=#0000FF,C_BUTTON_Palette5=#FFFF00,C_BUTTON_Palette6=#000000,C_BUTTON_Palette7=#00FFFF,C_BUTTON_Palette8=#FF00FF,C_CHECKBOX_Palette2=1	3100	5250	17	-1000

The second one is a little more "interesting". For the first one, I just use a darker shade of Red for the "back" layer. That's what I did in the gif above. However, Keith added a cool "blur" function so for the second one, I keep with the same red, but blur it which darkens it a bit and fades the edges like it's further away.

Not really an effect... But the new layout screen you can double click a model and then drop a model multiple times.. Can this be added to the sequence tab so we can double click an effect and drop it multiple times??

Yep, ctl-c, ctl-v,ctl-v,...,ctl-v. Also one effect copied can be pasted to multiple cells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insteasd of fixed times like a grid in vixen 2 or lsp, we havetiming marks vertically and models horizontally.

If you had 16 arches and a timing mark from 5-10 seconds (100 frames at 20fps). Ctl-c an effect and then highlight those 16 cells and ctl-v to paste to it.
This has been true since early last year when xlights 4.0 was first released.

Cells ? Does Nutcracker have a grid in this new version ?

I consider it as having cells. When you create a sequence you specify a resolution, 25, 50, 100ms. The software basically creates cells at these intervals. You can't place effects at 25ms on a sequence created in 50ms. However, there aren't well defined (visually) cells in the sequencer. You can place timing marks to mimic a cell. You can very easily create a timing track at 50ms, so this will resemble what most people consider to be cells.

I've used sequencers with actual cells, this is way better!

James

Insteasd of fixed times like a grid in vixen 2 or lsp, we havetiming marks vertically and models horizontally.

If you had 16 arches and a timing mark from 5-10 seconds (100 frames at 20fps). Ctl-c an effect and then highlight those 16 cells and ctl-v to paste to it.
This has been true since early last year when xlights 4.0 was first released.

Sorry if the question seam rhetorical , I have not ventured to dl this version .

I have followed a few posts is all , but see a considerable advancement from Nutcracker3 .

Interesting way of development for your New software version .

I consider it as having cells. When you create a sequence you specify a resolution, 25, 50, 100ms. The software basically creates cells at these intervals. You can't place effects at 25ms on a sequence created in 50ms. However, there aren't well defined (visually) cells in the sequencer. You can place timing marks to mimic a cell. You can very easily create a timing track at 50ms, so this will resemble what most people consider to be cells.

I've used sequencers with actual cells, this is way better!

James

Have you ever used Ae ?
The ultimate application in effects creation .
I know you are quite contented with the Nutcracker format as you have stated in your prior posts .

There is no tool for this hobby that compares to Ae for complete custom effects sequencing , but one can import the effects to Nutcracker .
Ae is heady and has a steep learning curve , which may detour most from using it .

As you know I use HLS exclusively for for my light show and this fact will not change .
That said ,being an advanced user of HLS it is helpfull to know a bit about other software such as Nutcracker as they are effect compatible .
I can see that Nutcracker has come leaps and bounds into its own with the amount of developers dedicating their time on its features and improvements .

I would not need to be sold on Nutcracker as I know Sean has put his heart into building the application and combined with a team of dedicated folks
have worked hard to provide another free and power full tool to afford hobbyists another sequencing application .

Cheers

Since copy/paste is being discussed. I did just add Paste By Cell and Paste By Time options in the latest release. Prior to that all pasting was done based on the original effect durations. Now you can paste copied effects into a group of cells and the effects will auto-adjust their durations based on the timing grid. For Paste By Cell if an effect takes up the whole cell on copy it will take up the whole cell on paste even if it's a different size. If an effect only partially fills a cell then I take the percentage of where its start and end points are and use that to place the effect at the same percentages between the target timing lines. It's described in this video....if you want to see how our "grid" works fast forward to about the 3:30 mark.

With the advent of the p10 panels it would be nice to break up the panel into multiple virtual displays. The Idea being if you had a big panel you could break it up to display different things on each part. My main purpose of this is to get more then one singing face animation on the panel. I think this could be done in the layers by making picture that only cover a small portion but it would be nice to just use a standard picture so I can move faces around. The ability to break the model in half (left, right or Up down) or into 4 would be awesome.

With the advent of the p10 panels it would be nice to break up the panel into multiple virtual displays. The Idea being if you had a big panel you could break it up to display different things on each part. My main purpose of this is to get more then one singing face animation on the panel. I think this could be done in the layers by making picture that only cover a small portion but it would be nice to just use a standard picture so I can move faces around. The ability to break the model in half (left, right or Up down) or into 4 would be awesome.

I think Dan just coded this up yesterday. I haven't actually been able to try it yet because I got home too late but I think I know how its going to work from looking at code. Maybe not exactly how you are saying but I believe what the new "sub buffer" feature allows is to drag 4 corners around to define a sub-section of the model. The effect would be applied to only the section defined by these corners. The difference from what you are saying is the way it's implemented you can section off every effect to a different section of the model. You don't define a new sub-model you basically define a target sub buffer on a per effect basis.

I can't right click very easy on a MacBook. But I was just a suggestion would make it very easy to drop effects multiple times.

I don't like the idea of having some type of mode to allow you to keep dropping the same effect. To be honest that mode gets me into trouble on the layout screen all the time. I end up with 6 models before a realize I was in the wrong mode. But there are several quick ways to drop multiple effects. 1) Click a cell with your right hand and press an effect hotkey with your left hand...For instance to do several on effects its just...click...o...click...o...click...o. Super fast. 2) Drag out a selection of cells and hit the hotkey. 3) Drag out a selection of cells and do a Paste (ctrl-v) of a copied effect. 4) Copy an effect (ctrl-c) and then...click...ctrl-v....click...ctrl-v...click...ctrl-v.

Notice there are no right-click actions in any of the options I gave you. Right-clicks are optional its quicker to use the keyboard to copy/paste.

Back