P10 Matrix

228f0a817d4279941f49195a8aa70eb5.jpg
mocked up a simple frame for support. Thinking about a piece of plexi over the front and leaving the back open. Paint it black and call it a day. If the Chinese aluminum frame is better then I will swap it over. Originally had plans for a 5x5 but changed my mind once I visualized the actual size. This is installing in a overhang out of the little weather we get in California :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d3210ae2b1f8c3868272c3bc396c9646.jpg
better frame mocked up with aluminum and 1/8 steel strips. Using the magnetic mounting screws is a cleaner look in my opinion and lines up much better than using the boscoyo strips.

Frame is looking nice. Do you have a better picture of the depth/angles the edges are using? I have to start figuring out a frame as well.

Some beautiful work! Everyone seems to use wood which I would expect to be heavy and harder to maintain over the long run. I'm surprised no one is out there making custom frames for sale.

I agree... had to go to China and this thing only weighs about 20 lbs tops. Need to add the power supply and cables but waiting for the distroboards. Very happy with the alignment over using the wood frame.

Where did you get it from China and what was the $ if you don't mind sharing? I'm going to do a 4x8" with 64 units and need to make a frame this season.

Wasnt sure if that link would work, but it was like 13 bucks for the frame and a hundred to ship... had it in about 2 weeks... very nice to work with and I went with the slimmer style frame but they had several to choose from. They make the frames customs sized for your requirements. I thought it was flimsy at first but adding 1/8 steel supports for the magnet attach points made this solid.

Yup just looked and that was the one... deep enough to mount a 350 watt PS to the back and still mount flush to the wall

I checked out your link and found this. Seems to be deep enough but I need more measurements. At the front there is a channel that looks like it accepts glass/plexiglass but no size is given. Also, when ordering do you give them a final size or do you order larger than you need and you cut to size? Here's a pic of what I looked at.
8e786b3f384584f39682a487c5a0a424.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I recommend chatting with their representative and explain what panels you have and they will generate the invoice for PayPal payment

I actually think this one is stronger due to the double channel. They did tell me the channel where plexiglass goes is 3mm which is just under 1/8" (.118"). I haven't discussed price but she did ask me the panel sze.
b1a3a25538b38579d40f39f78904a4b2.jpg

Nice... my concern was depth as it will be outside and against the wall and I didn't want the power supply to be exposed. And you will be surprised how sturdy this will be once you add the steel strips

According to the frame specs it's 57.15mm. That's about 2.25". Just enough room even with Ron's Matrix adaptor attached to the Pi and Boscoyo ps mount. I could put the Pi with Ron's adaptor off the mount which will give me another .25" of clearance but it would work just as it sits. I'm using a low profile Meanwell and there's tons of clearance there. I took my measurements from the front of the Boscoyo strips assuming I'm still going to use those to mount the panels in the frame. I'm also assuming the P10's are not included in my measuring because they will overlap the frame making the Boscoyo strips even with the front (where it says 21mm minus the P10 thickness). The thing that concerns me is what to use for a back. The measurement shown on the product can't be accurate. It shows 92mm from front to back. If you add 34.85 and 57.15 it comes out to 92 but the picture shows a overhang (bottom right of pic) included in that measurement but the 57.15 doesn't include it. I'm actually considering asking for a 6" sample piece of the 2 different ones I'm looking at.

Last edited:
My explanation was probably lame so here's a drawing showing how I think the panels mount in the aluminum frame.Frame Pic.png

Hahaha... I was picking it up. But yeah you should be good. I haven't installed any plexi into the front channel but realized after I riveted the corners on, so I would use screws on the corners.

Hahaha... I was picking it up. But yeah you should be good. I haven't installed any plexi into the front channel but realized after I riveted the corners on, so I would use screws on the corners.

Glad you figured out what I was saying. Not sure I even understood. You can drill the rivets out. My current enclosure weights a ton and 1/4" plexiglass isn't helping. $112 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. If I go with the aluminum from I scrap the glass. Ugh! But, if I can cut the weight by a fourth it's probably worth it because I'm mounting this over the garage and it's easily 9-10 feet off the ground.

Back