SanDevices version 5 firmware information thread

Is it a significant hardware upgrade to the propeller 2? (i.e faster and more ram??), The BB project sounds interesting too. A completely different processor is probably out of question due to chip pin out or possibly even size ? As one that enjoys using my 6804 and 682, be interested to see changes too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If you go ot the website https://www.parallax.com/microcontrollers/propeller you can see information about propellor processors. the new propeller is more advanced, but also more expensive, so controllers will be more expensive too. this is not a surprise as we are many years after the first propellor came on the market. The first propeller is doing a great job in the sandevices controllers, but at the edge of its capabilities with all the new demands asked for in this forum. I, as a technician, can imagine how much effort implementing the propeller 2 will be for a designer. if Jim is considering that, we may surely give him a lot of respect for that. But he is not the youngest amongst us, so it might be to much effort for him.

best regards

Dick de Wit
The Netherlands

The SanDevices website is now dead and reports are that direct E-Mail messages are bouncing.
Anyone know if Jim has closed up shop?

I ordered and received an E6804 and from him last week and the Web site was fine.

So I’m not sure what’s going on.

Wow this thread is pretty overwhelming.

I have an old upgraded E681 that I want to repurpose to control some 2811 pixels from Paul Zang ordered this past summer. I can control them with a Falcon but not the Sandevices.

I tried upgrading to version 5.038 but now I'm wondering if that is intended for the upgraded E681's? The sticky post #1 refers me to a post 5 years old (!) and a version 4.something.

So what's the latest firmware for an upgraded 681? Any advice would be appreciated.

Wow this thread is pretty overwhelming.

I have an old upgraded E681 that I want to repurpose to control some 2811 pixels from Paul Zang ordered this past summer. I can control them with a Falcon but not the Sandevices.

I tried upgrading to version 5.038 but now I'm wondering if that is intended for the upgraded E681's? The sticky post #1 refers me to a post 5 years old (!) and a version 4.something.

So what's the latest firmware for an upgraded 681? Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you looked at Sandevices web site? A lot of useful info on there. I found this in the “Upgrade documentation” section.

Version 5 is a major firmware update for the SanDevices pixel controllers including the E682 and E6804. It is also compatible with earlier controllers (E680 and E681) that have been upgraded to the Wiznet W5200 Ethernet module.

Sandevices are still very useable controllers for me, since I still use some GECE.

My problem ended up being user error (go figure)... the side of the board the pixels were on wasn't getting power like I thought it was.

I've used SanDevices controllers exclusively since 2012 so I have no reason to diss them. It's just troubling to me that the 5.0 firmware is still in Beta after 6 years, the website's trouble ticket system links lead to a dead page, and the whole user experience is a bit clunky compared to Falcon. I purchased a used Falcon a few years ago and this is the first year I'm planning on using it in the display. It will take over duties running my Mega Tree and possibly some other elements via differential boards, and my trusty Sandevices that ran the MT for 10 years is moving to the front yard to run some new items there.

As noted throughout this thread there are a number of issues, some seemingly small to fix, plaguing the boards. The controller webpage doesn't render correctly oftentimes for me (evidently this is true to improper http headers, in the code, etc). There are features in the web interface that aren't hooked up, etc. Falcon isn't perfect either... they've had a ton of features on the board where "support is coming soon" for almost as long. I guess at the end of the day if the lights go blinky, I'm happy lol.

Back