SanDevices version 5 firmware information thread

Does anyone have a walk through on reprogramming the e682 using the Prop-Plug?

I have a pair of e682's that will not play nice, unable to connect, even swapped known working Wiznets.

So this thread popped up, and I decided to try the version 5.030-01 firmware update on an E681upg. Now I can’t find the controller IP. Using a prop plug I attempted to roll it back to 4.080-01. Reboot and force it to DHCP with it directly connected to the PC, and it won’t show up at 169.254.74.73 as it always has in the past. I tried this on two other boards and it works fine. Press and hold program button, release after three flashes. Curse me for not following the “if it works, please don’t fix it” rule. It’s a spare, but I’d really like to have it back. Has anyone found a quick and thorough way to wipe the prop so I can get a nice clean version of the firmware on it?

Try my technique, reflash with 5.X, and generally it wipes any IP address out. So I hold down program for 6 flashes, which default its temporarily to 192.168.1.206. Then access it with a directly connected PC in the same network subnet. That .206 address is only temporary, so set up what you want as IP right away, save it. Reboot controller. You should now be able to access it at the address you used.

Upon reboot, use a system command of 10, reboot, then use a system command of 20, reboot, then finally use a system command of 30, reboot. This has always worked for me to clear out any junk and fully reset board to how it would have been shipped to you. There are 2 known bugs in the FW. The one that causes me the most pain is that the controller name field tends to get junk in it and sometimes needs to be cleared out with backspace key, even after fully resetting the board to factory settings. I forget what the other one is.

Is it quick, no. Thorough maybe.

So this thread popped up, and I decided to try the version 5.030-01 firmware update on an E681upg. Now I can’t find the controller IP. Using a prop plug I attempted to roll it back to 4.080-01. Reboot and force it to DHCP with it directly connected to the PC, and it won’t show up at 169.254.74.73 as it always has in the past. I tried this on two other boards and it works fine. Press and hold program button, release after three flashes. Curse me for not following the “if it works, please don’t fix it” rule. It’s a spare, but I’d really like to have it back. Has anyone found a quick and thorough way to wipe the prop so I can get a nice clean version of the firmware on it?
5.030 may not work on a 681. The 5.023 will work but you need to upgrade to Wiznet W5200 Ethernet Module.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Try my technique, reflash with 5.X, and generally it wipes any IP address out. So I hold down program for 6 flashes, which default its temporarily to 192.168.1.206.

Thanks,

I’ll try that tomorrow. This is the first time I’ve ever had problems connecting to the web server on the board. I hate that the thing defaults to 192.168.”1”. anything. I wish I had a Copy of the hex with 192.168.0.206 so it matched my freaking house network.

Jeff

How did you determine that? I still can't connect to the E681 (with the upgrade WizNet) that I tried to add the proper 5.03 firmware to. I tried rolling it back to 4.08 but can't connect to it. I was considering trying to swap the WizNet module with a known working part but I'm not willing to chance it while I'm controlling lights. I do still have the original E681 WizNet module and was also considering rolling the firmware back to that and trying it. I have one E681 that's upgraded but I'm only using 700 rgb channels on the whole card.

One other thing, I have 1 E682. Has anyone seen it? I can't find it anywhere!

Jeff

Seems I have two dead Wiznet 820io's
/sad panda

Steve, when your Wiznets died did they flash a regular on/off pattern? On my E681s I have the upgrade Wiznets, I had one that was doing this and I couldn't connect to the controller. I swapped it out with a know good one and about two hours later the good one started doing the same thing. Now I'm too scared to try my last one for fear it'll get trashed too. I have the original Wiznets that came with the E681s. I intend to reflash a board with E681 firmware just to get the tree going again.

Jeff

@jstjohn - any plans for the further firmware releases for E682? :) I'd be interested to run more than 2k pixels per board - is it possible at all, or this is a hardware limitation?

good day all,

Do we all have the same feeling Sandevices is a lost cause?? I really hope not.

Or does anyone sees a solution for continuing the bussiness by a younger devellopper/technician/owner?
This is not intended being unrespectfull to Jim at all. But more a realistic looking into the future.

please feel free to comment, as I also have to decide to buy some more Sandevices controllers or switch to other brands. ( I mostly use the 6804, my favorite)

Best regards

Dick de Wit
The Netherlands

good day all,

Do we all have the same feeling Sandevices is a lost cause?? I really hope not.

Or does anyone sees a solution for continuing the bussiness by a younger devellopper/technician/owner?
This is not intended being unrespectfull to Jim at all. But more a realistic looking into the future.

please feel free to comment, as I also have to decide to buy some more Sandevices controllers or switch to other brands. ( I mostly use the 6804, my favorite)

Best regards

Dick de Wit
The Netherlands

Have you tried contacting Jim via his website? I'm hoping he just doesn't get on the forums too often and hasn't seen the more recent posts rather than he is no longer really doing anything with it.

I hope I am not out of place to post this, but since there are people looking for a upgrade or update to the E682......
There is an open source upgrade to the E682 that will convert it into a full fledged FPP controller:
https://github.com/computergeek1507/PB_16/tree/master/PB_16_E682
It basically removed the propeller controller and replaces it with a pocket beagle.
That's a very interesting modification. Is there any discussion or further documentation on it other than what's in the GitHub repo? I've got a few 681s that could benefit from a refresh. If this is just replacing the prop chip, it should work there too. (may need different pin assignments) I'm wondering if it uses the wiznet ethernet, or if it uses a USB nic. I do see the edimax in the photo. I also can't really tell what that upper left daughterboard is. Looks like maybe an SD card reader, but the PB already has one onboard.

That's a very interesting modification. Is there any discussion or further documentation on it other than what's in the GitHub repo? I've got a few 681s that could benefit from a refresh. If this is just replacing the prop chip, it should work there too. (may need different pin assignments) I'm wondering if it uses the wiznet ethernet, or if it uses a USB nic. I do see the edimax in the photo. I also can't really tell what that upper left daughterboard is. Looks like maybe an SD card reader, but the PB already has one onboard.

See this Thread Jon: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?53296-FPP-PB16-Pixel-Controller
That upper left daughtercard is an RTC module (same as you would use in pi).
I don't think this modification would use the wiznet, something tells me it is tied to the prop controller and E682 firmware.
Under the edimax is a USB port, so you could use a powered hub and have sound and wifi/wired ethernet.
Post in other thread so Scott can confirm. I only ordered the boards for the full PB16 and BOM (just waiting on 3 pin connectors). 700 pixels at 25ms or 1400 at 50ms on each port.....and DIY...Love this hobby.

@jstjohn - any plans for the further firmware releases for E682? :) I'd be interested to run more than 2k pixels per board - is it possible at all, or this is a hardware limitation?

I am working on a few things right now with the version 5 firmware, a couple of issues involving corruption of config data and a timing issue with WS2815s. As far as more pixels, I have some test code running 16 universes but can't run full speed (40+fps) on all universes without dropping frames. RAM is a limiting factor, if I go to 16 universes it wiil use up most of the remaining memory.

Any significant improvements are going to require a hardware upgrade. The new Propeller 2 is looking interesting.

Apologies for my lengthy absence from the forums. I have been and continue to be available by email. Dick might be right,
maybe I've been at this too long. 10 years messing with pixels, and 50 years playing with microprocessors.

Is it a significant hardware upgrade to the propeller 2? (i.e faster and more ram??), The BB project sounds interesting too. A completely different processor is probably out of question due to chip pin out or possibly even size ? As one that enjoys using my 6804 and 682, be interested to see changes too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Can you fix the HTTP responses so they are actually HTTP responses? We're having all kind of people complaining that the e682 and such don't work when stuck behind FPP with the proxy stuff turned on. It's 100% due to the responses not actually being HTTP responses so the Apache proxy stuff has no idea what to do with it. The are no HTTP response headers at all. No response code. Etc...

Jim , Will you be supporting the TLS pixels in future ? If not could you outlet the code so hopefully it can get extended life for single pixel type controllers .

I know there probably isn't a market left for you with it but for those of use that still have tls it would be a shame to see it lost and forgotten .

Back