SanDevices version 5 firmware information thread

Looking back in my Manual the term I should have used is OVERRIDE. The process you use to reset the IP to factory address. Then
after you can access it, you can reset it to what you want it to be.
I did all the system commands when I updated them all to current firmware back last year.
Just did a quick check and they have v5.030 which I thought was the latest.
Maybe after this season I'll try loading it again and see how that works.

Last edited:
I love the 682 but would like to see a couple of changes. First the outputs. When using Renard you have to set the jumpers for balanced outputs which works for a bank of 4 outputs. I use 1 output for Renard and the other 3 outputs are wasted. On another controller, 2 are for Renard and 2 are wasted. The other thing would be LED fuse indicators. Another possible change would be adding an ethernet port for daisy chaining. I would guess any of the above changes would require a complete redesign and making the board larger but I thought I would just mention them.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I love the 682 but would like to see a couple of changes. First the outputs. When using Renard you have to set the jumpers for balanced outputs which works for a bank of 4 outputs. I use 1 output for Renard and the other 3 outputs are wasted. On another controller, 2 are for Renard and 2 are wasted. The other thing would be LED fuse indicators. Another possible change would be adding an ethernet port for daisy chaining. I would guess any of the above changes would require a complete redesign and making the board larger but I thought I would just mention them.

I agree with you on the changes.
Does anybody know where this going? Is a new design in the works?
It has been nearly 2 years sense this firmware thread started and I'm just wondering what's up
with this project. Is this it or is there more coming.
E682 is a great board but some improvements would be nice.

I agree with you on the changes.
Does anybody know where this going? Is a new design in the works?
It has been nearly 2 years sense this firmware thread started and I'm just wondering what's up
with this project. Is this it or is there more coming.
E682 is a great board but some improvements would be nice.

I doubt you’ll see a new version in the sandevices line. I think it’s run it’s course. There’s been little to no development in a few years. The clustering is done to work with the design of the propeller mcu chip it’s based on. To change that, it would need to be redeveloped from the ground up based on a new chip. And since the propeller chip is basically a dead end project, that would mean recoding the whole thing from the ground up with a more modern architecture. I don’t see Jim doing that at this point.

But I don’t speak for him and could certainly be wrong.

What you’re asking for is basically what Dave did by developing the Falcon line of controllers. It’s already out there and in it’s 3rd revision with development still active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are using three outputs, why not put them on the same controller and free up 4 banks on the other controller. If you are running a computer or FPP, you could always use a USB/RS485 to get to the first Renard and then daisy chain the others.
I do the same thing for my GECE's and just run a data wire and inject the 5 volts (tying grounds together). That way I only waste 3 ports. The current software version is so much "handier" than it was before (we lost the whole bank).

If you are using three outputs, why not put them on the same controller and free up 4 banks on the other controller. If you are running a computer or FPP, you could always use a USB/RS485 to get to the first Renard and then daisy chain the others.
I do the same thing for my GECE's and just run a data wire and inject the 5 volts (tying grounds together). That way I only waste 3 ports. The current software version is so much "handier" than it was before (we lost the whole bank).
I moved away from daisy chaining Renards. When there's trouble with one, especially at the beginning of the chain, it affects all the others. There's about 150 feet between props on each side of the property so I find it more convenient to assign one output of each 682 or 6804 to Renard. That way, if something does happen, the whole Renard controlled part of the display doesn't go down.

After reading about it I am curious to hear if Jim plans to update again to do the allowment of 1 universe per output ?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

After reading about it I am curious to hear if Jim plans to update again to do the allowment of 1 universe per output ?

The E682 can already do multiple universes per output. Did you mean the ability to have a different output type on each output? Currently, each group of four outputs can only drive one type of output.

I believe he means that you have 12 visible universe windows but 16 outputs. So if you want one universe per output the last four are not useable.

Yes what wildbill said. Looking for the ability to assign 16 universes so that each output can have its own. He referenced the functionality just wasn't sure if it became reality or not.

Jim has said it is something that he would like to do, but other stuff has a higher priority - or something along that line. As I recall, there are issues of memory limitations.

jim hasn't logged in here since june. is san devices going to continue? i hope so mainly because i like building my stuff myself, but i'm concerned. why is v5 firmware still only in an "info" thread after 2 years?

I think the e682 is a great controller, it the one I started with and the one I continue to use. That being said, outside of diy assembly which I enjoy, why would anyine choose a e682 over a f16v3? Seems v5 firmware development has stalled.

k6ccc is that in the first post and i must have over looked it??

No, I don't think so. It was quite a while back (maybe a year or more).

As far as Jim StJohn, I know he is still around. I had contact with him a month or so ago via the trouble ticketing system on the SanDevices website.

As far as the product line, I have been using E6804 and E682 controllers since 2012 when I built my pixel tree. The two E6804s are used year round every night. I am very happy with them. With that said, there are other controllers that are surpassing them. I don't have any plans to jump ship - in fact I added one more E682 in 2018 when I upgraded my pixel tree from 12 x 50 to 24 x 100 (and going to 26 x 100 for 2019).

Last I checked, the 682 in kit form is about half the price of an F16v3. If you don’t mind assembly and don’t need the extra bells and whistles of the Falcon, the 682 is a good place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim hasn't logged in here since june. is san devices going to continue? i hope so mainly because i like building my stuff myself, but i'm concerned. why is v5 firmware still only in an "info" thread after 2 years?

I had an issue during this season....had a lot of humidity.....and things were acting up on one of my E682's..... I contacted Jim with a question and he responded immediately....and his response fixed my issue (not an issue really....loose power terminal that I didn't think to check.....).... Jim is great...he helped me a lot when I first got started with pixels and he's still there to back up what he sells.....

Back