SanDevices version 5 firmware information thread

Is there any way anyone could possibly write out a step by step( for a noob-ish person) for updating the 682 with a prop plug.
I purchased one last season and have yet to get the courage to update the board since I cannot find a how to and do not want to brick it. Thanks in advance.

Is there any way anyone could possibly write out a step by step( for a noob-ish person) for updating the 682 with a prop plug.
I purchased one last season and have yet to get the courage to update the board since I cannot find a how to and do not want to brick it. Thanks in advance.
Actually it's really simple. If you have a prop plug notice it say Vss on one side of the plug. On the 682 there are 4 prongs labeled Prog Port. Notice it's labeled Vss. Plug in prop plug lining up the Vss on the board and the plug. Launch Propeller Tool software. Go to file, open and search for the file E682v5.030-01. Select it. Then hit Load EEPROM. Done. Turn off controller and turn back on. Here's a pic of the 682 and the Propeller software loaded and ready to update.
f0e5e4741adf10961d5026c121acddef.jpg
8b17028a9c74542908c2bfb221426a52.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Here's a pic of the prop plug plugged into the 682. The other side of plug goes into usb port on computer.
0eb23f71e7268b15038415b64b641f3e.jpg

To aid later and make updating faster go to file open and select both files. Look at lower left of screen. Both files are listed there. Just double click the one you want to use and click LoadEEPROM. After update is done hit close on lower left. You can then run same procedure to update a different controller. When done go to file, save as and give it a name. Place on desktop for easy access. The next time you need to update just double click that file and both updates are there and ready to use. Your screen should look like this.
When you double click one of the updates you get a window like in the second pic. Then click on loadEEPROM.
7ff27a561bad4a620be482da6ec44b37.jpg
f5cfc7ab2c8b84bf259ff3a5bccbb2c7.jpg

Last edited:
Ok had a chance do the steps from the above post and it was spot on. PERFECT. And I didn’t even lose my IP. Woohoo.
Congratulations. Even if the IP went back to default, 192.168.1.206, it's easy to change. Just type the new IP in the upper left of the controller page, save and then unplug controller and plug back in.

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong? I a attempting to go from 4.051 to 5.030-01. Here is my screen shot of the attempt to update. I get socket error immediately after clicking "Update Firmware" on controller web interface. Wifi is disabled. I can ping controller at 192.168.1.207 just fine and it clearly is on network. Thanks for any input.

e682.jpg

I actually figured it out based on doing a quick thread search. Keeping WiFi on allowed me to complete the update for whatever reason. I should've just used my prop plug but was too lazy to go dig it out.

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong? I a attempting to go from 4.051 to 5.030-01. Here is my screen shot of the attempt to update. I get socket error immediately after clicking "Update Firmware" on controller web interface. Wifi is disabled. I can ping controller at 192.168.1.207 just fine and it clearly is on network. Thanks for any input.

View attachment 40133

I actually figured it out based on doing a quick thread search. Keeping WiFi on allowed me to complete the update for whatever reason. I should've just used my prop plug but was too lazy to go dig it out.
I found the prop plug is the way to go. It also allows you to keep the set IP for the controller.

are you just clicking on the fwloader and letting page open on its own or are you opening a command prompt and going to it that way and executing the fwloader I have the fwloader and firmware in same folder right on desktop I click the icon for fwloader and it opens fine

I actually tried it his way and it did open with no problems for me but I didnt go any further since I dont have my 682 anymore so might error once you hit update

My biggest request is to have the ability to shift from STATIC IP to DHCP IP
this would save LOADS of time

Few questions as I've just updated to the latest 5.xx version. What is the timing everyone is using. I have a star on my tree with 90 pixels, 12 foot to first pixel and it didn't like 150ns. I have 1440 pixels on my tree and the 150 ns was fine. Is there a sweet spot that anyone has found for something similar to my application? I set all of them to 350ns and that seems to be working OK. I do notice some sequence errors that I don't remember seeing with firmware 4.xx. I might not have been looking either.

Hi, the data sheet for the new WS2811s states the reset is a minimum of 280nS up from 50nS. Anything above that should be fine for both types.

Ok, I bit the bullet and installed the new firmware tonight. I use my e682 for a WS2811 matrix. After some mistakes setting it up, I think I am pretty much where I was with the old firmware.

That said, something isn't quite right. I scroll across Happy Halloween on 2 lines, and the tops of the Ps get cut off the whole scroll. The pixels are fine as test modes of dim red and red/green/blue look great.

It feels like a timing issue, but randomly changing the timing didn't seem to help. These WS2811 strips are 4+ years old, so old timing.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am at a loss..... I did the 10 command to wipe everything out, then I reset everything up.

I keep trying different refresh rates, but no dice. It seems like the middle universes report missing packets for some reason.

I see people talk about changing the resistor packs, but can't find the explanation posts to see if it is the same issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back