SanDevices version 5 firmware information thread

I am at a loss..... I did the 10 command to wipe everything out, then I reset everything up.

I keep trying different refresh rates, but no dice. It seems like the middle universes report missing packets for some reason.

I see people talk about changing the resistor packs, but can't find the explanation posts to see if it is the same issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can you revert back to what worked successfully before the firmware update and verify that works correctly ?

Can you revert back to what worked successfully before the firmware update and verify that works correctly ?
I think I am probably going to do that tonight. There was no real reason to update except that I thought the dimming option would be nice, but now I am thinking should have left it alone [emoji12].

Rolled back and everything just works again. The interface is a lot smoother in my device in the older firmware as well it feels (could be a trick of the mind).

A shame, but I am only using all old pixels for now, so the timing changes aren't an issue yet (fingers crossed).

very large thread and I read back about 8 pages and didnt see the answer. 5.030-01 is the file so is it different than 5.030 and will the gui display 5.030-01 or 5.030? I loaded this when it came out and this is my first revisit to the page since so I do not recall if the original file said 5.030 or 5.030-01.

hit another issue...I flashed 5.030-01 and immediately lost pings. Reboot didnt fix it. prop plug flash didnt fix it. If I do PROG 1 it says the IP is correct, same IP it had before. I have placed myself on the same network with it, and it still not pingable. Any idea what I could do to recover it? If I try to do PROG5 I cant get a ping on 192.168.0.206 which is the same /24 network as the IP it should be reachable on now.

UPDATE: I was finally able to get PROG5 to work. Resolved.

Last edited:
To loop back on my issues earlier. I talked to Sandevices and zig-zag is not completely worked out yet. He is working on some advancements and they aren't done yet. Might see them before Christmas, but I am guessing nit since it is the busy time of year. So that is what my issues were.

very large thread and I read back about 8 pages and didnt see the answer. 5.030-01 is the file so is it different than 5.030 and will the gui display 5.030-01 or 5.030? I loaded this when it came out and this is my first revisit to the page since so I do not recall if the original file said 5.030 or 5.030-01.

Every file I have ends in -01. I have 4.051-01, 5.018-01, 5.030-01. The web GUI lists it as 5.030. I have been running 5.030 for probably 2 seasons. My case may not show issues since I set it and leave it - my pixels are up year-round so I rarely need to play with the controller settings.

I did run into an issue with my window frames but not sure that it is update/firmware related. I have the e682 on one end of my house and run three window pixel frames off of it (in addition to my eves). For some reason I started having issues with my frames after a season or two where they would have intermittent failures or stay on. I ended up adding null pixels halfway through the line between the first pixel and the e682 and that resolved it. Not sure that the firmware would change the max distance of a wire run. I have heard of changing the resistors but I'm slowly transitioning to wireless so its not really something I'm concerned about anymore. e682 will eventually find its way to a matrix or tree when I get the motivation to build one.

The -01 signifies there are 2 files, the original and apparently you downloaded another original and the -01 was appended to the file name. If you download another original it will be -02.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I followed all the steps and when I go to my sandevices controller page and hit update firmware about 45secs in the green light and the green a and orange data lights shut off then come back on that's it 3min go by nothing no update what am I doing wrong

Hey folks,

Ran into a snag - ran out of channels this year due to the 340 pixel limitation ... Tried to read most of this but still unclear how many pixels per output - I think I caught a piece of it but not sure.

Anyone know what the total pixel output is now using v5 firmware for the E682? If it is 400+ or 512 or something like that, I can put off buying another controller.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Ran into a snag - ran out of channels this year due to the 340 pixel limitation ... Tried to read most of this but still unclear how many pixels per output - I think I caught a piece of it but not sure.

Anyone know what the total pixel output is now using v5 firmware for the E682? If it is 400+ or 512 or something like that, I can put off buying another controller.

I tested up to 500 a while back. Only reason I stopped there was I ran out of pixels with which to test.
The bigger limitation will be the total of 12 universes for the card.
I am using two E682s this year for my 24 x 100 pixel tree. One drives strings 01 to 16 and the other drives strings 17 - 24 plus three strings for the star. The first one is using 10 Universes and the second is using 5 for the tree and 3 for the star. For the tree, I am largely using compacted universes. For the star, I am using one universe per string because it was convenient. On the star, each string is two rings of the star with power injection at the end of the string (it was BADLY needed).

Pretty sure it's at least 512 although you can configure up to 999 per port.

Previous in this thread:

E682 can do 12 universes in Unicast. 12x510 = 6120 channels

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Thanks for the assist ... now to upgrade ...

Finishing my RS-485 DX drivers. Still have a bug in one channel, something new

Is there any documentation of V5 firmware? Specifically regarding what the custom test pattern does or how to use it?

Is there any documentation of V5 firmware? Specifically regarding what the custom test pattern does or how to use it?

See the very first post on this thread. It gets updated when there is new info. Operation of the test pattern is the same as the previous implementation except there are now more choices. The custom test pattern isn't clearly defined but is just some chases with more colors thrown in like orange and yellow in addition to the normal red, green, blue and white.

One Problem that I keep running into is loosing the static address after turning the controller Off. Example, today I turned
one of my E682's off to unplug a wire so I could inspect the connectors on either end of it. I finish, plug it back up and pull
up the web address to run some test and everything is OK. My show starts tonight and nothing out of that controller. Thought
maybe I forgot to turn it back on but its on. Try to bring the controller up on my cell standing at the controller and nothing.
I go through the reset process and then reboot and i'm back up and running.
I noticed the numbers in the address were the same as the universe numbers. I'm running Unicast.
I've been running v5.030 on all of my E682's (3) and have been having this problem with all of them.
Anyone besides me having this problem?

Are you running 5.0.30-01? As I recall, there were some issues with retaining the address properly in the early version and the -01 fixed it. I am running the -01 version and have not had this issue ever.

Long time E682 user, running the same FW and never had a problem like this. What is the "reset process" you are using? It may make sense to use a system command to clear the contents of the board and start from scratch with factory default configuration, but I am curious about the "reset process" you may be using to see if something in that could be causing your difficulty. If you've updated FW this year without performing the 3 step system command factory default process after updating you may be seeing these unpredictable results, but that's just a guess.

Copied from the manual I have:
The System Command button is used to perform some infrequently used functions, based on a numeric value that is entered into the number box to its left. There are 3 system commands presently defined:
10 Erase system configuration memory. This will wipe out all configuration data with the exception of the IP address.
20 Set test default configuration. This function sets all outputs for type 2801 pixels, 50 pixels per string. 30 Set as‐shipped defaults. This sets 4 different pixel types on the 4 outputs. As an example, to return a board to the factory default configuration (other than IP address) you would enter 10 in the system command box and click System Command. Then enter 20 and click System Command. Then enter 30 and click System Command.

Are you running 5.0.30-01? As I recall, there were some issues with retaining the address properly in the early version and the -01 fixed it. I am running the -01 version and have not had this issue ever.
The 5.030-01 update is only for the 680 and 681. The 6804 and 682 are still at 5.030.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Back