Spiral mini-trees, strips or nodes

looking good. If i had a printer, what would a 3ft version cost to print?

Not much about 10bucks or less in pla little more for uv resistant materials biggest thing is the time to print and how thick to print . I’m readjusting measurements as I went too thick on side walls and was to wide in opening for pixels . That’s why I do test print before wasting a lot of time and material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First partial test print to see if it works and can be printed from home seems to be a success
f66be6b538977614ecb9caa6a5849795.jpg
3b7f6c6e38a512db0e21b24e92024b2f.jpg
7d0392686e3b76f4e851acb93564cd0e.jpg

I like this idea. when you get something you feel is good will you share the STL.

I like this idea. when you get something you feel is good will you share the STL.

Most definitely but I have 500mm x 500mm x500mm print bed so would have to be adjusted for your print bed size .

My spiral trees are made from those. I use standard bullets

https://vimeo.com/248722131

Can anyone tell me how to get the effect he does on the spiral trees at the time from 1:15 - 1:20? I am using Xlights because I have seen this effect on mega trees and now on the spiral trees. I couldn't figure out how to do it last year in my display so I have been trying to figure it out with no luck. Then I seen this video with it so I figure I would ask here.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me how to get the effect he does on the spiral trees at the time from 1:15 - 1:20? I am using Xlights because I have seen this effect on mega trees and now on the spiral trees. I couldn't figure out how to do it last year in my display so I have been trying to figure it out with no luck. Then I seen this video with it so I figure I would ask here.

Thanks

It appears to be a single red vertical bar effect .

That was exactly what I thought and was messing with that effect but couldn’t get it to work. I will keep playing with that effect and see if I can figure it out.

It's a single strand with a bouncing chase applied to a tree model in xLights. I duplicated the effect on one of my Megatree models in about a minute by selecting a single strand, one chase, chase size of 29, 1 cycle, and "bounce from left" chase type. My guess is he's treating the spiral trees as a matrix of some kind, but I haven't analyzed the remainder of the video to verify that.

Last edited:
It's a single strand with a bouncing chase applied to a tree model in xLights. I duplicated the effect on one of my Megatree models in about a minute by selecting a single strand, one chase, chase size of 29, 1 cycle, and "bounce from left" chase type. My guess is he's treating the spiral trees as a matrix of some kind, but I haven't analyzed the remainder of the video to verify that.

Bwinter told me how he did it and was a simple thing i tried it and worked but I forgot how .

Yeah I am trying a chase on spiral tree but I can’t not get it to work. I am not sure if it’s my settings on my spiral tree or the settings on my strand function. My guess it’s probably both but I would think it’s more in the tree??

I set my Spiral tree up as
Round
1 rotation (tried 9 also) not sure what this is it didn’t change the look of the tree (or the effect)
9 spiral wraps
Bottom ratio : 6
Perspective: 1
# Strings: 1
Nodes/Strings 150
Strands/String: 1

Everything else is default so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Now my sting strand I set
# chase: 1
Chase size: 2
Cycles: 1.0
Bounce from left

EDIT: Eureka! I got it.

Use your tree setting as-is. Apply a "single line" effect, with left/right or right/left bounce. 1 chase, 1 cycle. I chose a chase size of 30 for testing, but yours can be bigger.

THEN go up to the Layer Settings. Under the "Buffer" tab, select "Per Preview" in the Render Style dropdown box. That should set you up. Most likely you have the default render style, which renders your model as a single line. It didn't really click for me until I noticed the single line on the Effect Assist disappeared when I changed the render style, and then it fell right into place.

Last edited:

Thanks

My serial trees are modeled (in Xlights) as spiral trees (not a matrix).

That effect is merely a BAR bouncing left-to-right.

As someone else pointed out though, it does require that the tree be modeled precisely (in the software) as it exists physically—so that the nodes on the back of the spiral are aligned with the nodes on the front of the spiral.

I used bullet nodes on my Home Depot Spiral trees as well. One thing I did differently from above is Iaid the bullets along the plastic spiral and zip tied them down end to end. I started out putting them perpendicular to the spiral but I didn’t like the loops of wire hanging down (I know it can’t be seen at night...). I was skeptical about visibility since you are really just seeing the side of the pixel but it ended up looking great in my opinion.

The small trees have 103 pixels and the large trees have 224. I painted the base and pole flat black to help it disappear at night. I also ran a power and data wire from the last pixel on the top back down to the bottom so all of my data and power injection connections are all in one spot. Here are a few pictures.

Do you use 12V or 5V pixels?

Back