SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 07-01-21) OUT OF STOCK

Re: SS Renard Kits Now Available

Does anyone know when you send with Paypal is it "Purchase" then goods or services? Or is it Personal "gift?"

WOW!!!!!
This is great. I placed an order and expected some type of delivery in 3 weeks or something. Boy was I Way WRONG!! The SS24 came within a couple of days.
Was I surprized when I saw the details put into creating this kit. Everything was numbered for the Steps as per the WIKI, there were even little photos. Nicely packaged. With this amount of details even a 10year old can do it. Wait, I did let my 10 year old help. He learned how to solder and did an amazing job at it. He was able to sort things out in order of assy. I did keep a VERY good eye on him. He got all the way up to the step 22 for the 26 ic sockets. He installed 3 and then it was time for bed. He had a great idea to use the antistatic sponge as a holder for each of the components when we were soldering so you wouldn't burn your fingers holding the part.
When I got to Step 23(triacs) I installed them on the heat sink first so it was easier to add the thermal compound. I kept the screws a little loose so I could rotate them slightly when installing all 24 at the same time. This seemed a lot easier than trying to get the compond on the triacs when soldered to the board.
It only took 5 hrs to complete and then the next day for diagnostics to ensure everything was connected well. Just couldn't do the full diagnostics since I didn't have the diag PICs.
Now it is time to find some vampire plug or some old light strings to get some connections on the board for my programming. And make my first arch.
Happy Thanksgiving, can't wait for Christmas.

WOW!!!!!
This is great. I placed an order and expected some type of delivery in 3 weeks or something. Boy was I Way WRONG!! The SS24 came within a couple of days.
Was I surprized when I saw the details put into creating this kit. Everything was numbered for the Steps as per the WIKI, there were even little photos. Nicely packaged. With this amount of details even a 10year old can do it. Wait, I did let my 10 year old help. He learned how to solder and did an amazing job at it. He was able to sort things out in order of assy. I did keep a VERY good eye on him. He got all the way up to the step 22 for the 26 ic sockets. He installed 3 and then it was time for bed. He had a great idea to use the antistatic sponge as a holder for each of the components when we were soldering so you wouldn't burn your fingers holding the part.
When I got to Step 23(triacs) I installed them on the heat sink first so it was easier to add the thermal compound. I kept the screws a little loose so I could rotate them slightly when installing all 24 at the same time. This seemed a lot easier than trying to get the compond on the triacs when soldered to the board.
It only took 5 hrs to complete and then the next day for diagnostics to ensure everything was connected well. Just couldn't do the full diagnostics since I didn't have the diag PICs.
Now it is time to find some vampire plug or some old light strings to get some connections on the board for my programming. And make my first arch.
Happy Thanksgiving, can't wait for Christmas.

You've been bit by the CLAP (Christmas Light Addiction Problem) - Have Fun! :)

Wayne,

You've made it too simple... it got rid of my excuses to try this out... I've been lurking in this forum for 2-3 years now.

I've just sent an order for my first Renard 24... it'll give me a project for this Christmas break. Assuming no surprises, I'll likely look into a couple more kits next year (if you're still packing them up) so I have a decent initial showing in 2013. I previously designed a control system for my Halloween haunts ( www.halloweenaddiction.com )... this looks to be a bit simpler - or at least less trial and error - really nice having the support of a forum like this.

Thanks much

-Heath

Wayne,

You've made it too simple... it got rid of my excuses to try this out... I've been lurking in this forum for 2-3 years now.

I've just sent an order for my first Renard 24... it'll give me a project for this Christmas break. Assuming no surprises, I'll likely look into a couple more kits next year (if you're still packing them up) so I have a decent initial showing in 2013. I previously designed a control system for my Halloween haunts ( www.halloweenaddiction.com )... this looks to be a bit simpler - or at least less trial and error - really nice having the support of a forum like this.

Thanks much

-Heath

Got it! Will send it out tomorrow. While you wait, be sure to give the SS24 Wiki a read so you are familiar with it before you start.

Wayne,

Just ordered 2 SS24's. THANK YOU for making this available. This is what I hoped for last year when I first started ordering boxes of parts from various places -- ending up with a lot of extra stuff because I didn't understand what I was doing. This makes it so easy.

Derek

Two questions,

Are SS16s still available?

Can the PIC be programmed for DMX rather than Renard since I don't have a PIC programmer?

I had this crazy idea to add our indoor tree to the display. It would act like a Z tree with 12 levels.

Don't know if I would do this but just though I'd ask.

Two questions,

Can the PIC be programmed for DMX rather than Renard since I don't have a PIC programmer?

I had this crazy idea to add our indoor tree to the display. It would act like a Z tree with 12 levels.

Yes, SS16 Kits are available.

Sorry, but No, I am only doing the SS Renard Operational Firmware. You should invest in a programmer, especially if you plan on using DMX.

Two questions,

I reprogrammed all my renards to dmx with a pickit3 very easily. Somewhere there's a how to video on here that I followed. RENs were up and running very quickly with Wayne's help. Good luck with your project. If you need any help let me know.

Two questions,

We can trade PICs in the mail. I can program a couple 16F688s with DMX for you, you're not too far, they'd probably be there next day. Only problem is, will the code stay through the USPS magic scanners? Shoot me a PM if you want to do this and I can get some out to you.

Deleted post, info not related to this thread

Last edited:

A lot of vendors and group buy leaders around here send out pre-programmed chips and I have not seen a lot complaints about scrambled firmware, so I think you would be safe for a mail swap.

Maybe Wayne J can perk in with some hints on mailing chips. I do not claim to be an expert nor do I play one on TV. :blush2:

Last edited:

After a long hiatus - work schedule and now a 19 month old. I watched Wayne's display go up beside my off for a few years and I may have the itch again. Are the SS16 and 24's still in stock?

thks wayne my show is up and running these boards are great. I will post vid soon not big but it is a start. What DMX controller do people use.?

I just ordered 2 to get ready for next year. These are great kits thanks in advance

Thank you Wayne!!

New to the DIY Christmas and ordered & assembled the first of many to come. I ordered the SS16, fully assembled and tested, everything was perfect! I just jumped back on to order more and see that you are out of them, I will be ordering more soon.

Just started 2 weeks ago and will only have time to get this one setup for this year, but planning for Halloween and Christmas for next year with my kids already. Thank you again and ALL of you guys & gals on her make it easy for someone like me "Jack of All, master of none" to get it assembled, tested and working. Took me the whole weekend, but I figure they will get faster with more time/experience.

~ Tom B

Thank you Wayne!!

New to the DIY Christmas and ordered & assembled the first of many to come. I ordered the SS16, fully assembled and tested, everything was perfect! I just jumped back on to order more and see that you are out of them, I will be ordering more soon.

Just started 2 weeks ago and will only have time to get this one setup for this year, but planning for Halloween and Christmas for next year with my kids already. Thank you again and ALL of you guys & gals on her make it easy for someone like me "Jack of All, master of none" to get it assembled, tested and working. Took me the whole weekend, but I figure they will get faster with more time/experience.

~ Tom B

Hey, That's great! Now you're hooked, LOL. I am glad you enjoyed the experience, and I hope your light show is a spectacular one. I am sure it will be memorable.

Yeah, ran out, but I will have them ready to ship out first of the week. If the delivery time is nice, maybe this weekend. I will update the first post as soon as they are available.

Kits back in stock!

I also now have Canada pricing up. :)

Back