SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 07-01-21) OUT OF STOCK

Wow. Wow, again. WOW!!!

Recently ordered the SS8 kit and I am extremely impressed. It's MUCH more than I expected. The circuit board is cleaner and of higher quality than the boards in several of the electronic music devices that I own. The parts are individually packaged, and very clearly labeled to match the assembly steps listed in the wiki instructions. And it even includes a weather-proof case.... TOTALLY unexpected!!

I ordered this to use in small musical events and experiment with other show ideas, but it looks like the possibilities might even nudge me into a little home-owner light show dabbling. Thanks for the truly great product and for the great service.

Wow. Wow, again. WOW!!!

Recently ordered the SS8 kit and I am extremely impressed. It's MUCH more than I expected. The circuit board is cleaner and of higher quality than the boards in several of the electronic music devices that I own. The parts are individually packaged, and very clearly labeled to match the assembly steps listed in the wiki instructions. And it even includes a weather-proof case.... TOTALLY unexpected!!

I ordered this to use in small musical events and experiment with other show ideas, but it looks like the possibilities might even nudge me into a little home-owner light show dabbling. Thanks for the truly great product and for the great service.

:thup: glad you liked it.

Curious if anyone may have an extra board setup they would be willing to part with? Maybe you ordered 1 to many lol. just trying to do a little show this year, didn't know I would be in a place I could do it earlier and let time slip away.

Curious if anyone may have an extra board setup they would be willing to part with? Maybe you ordered 1 to many lol. just trying to do a little show this year, didn't know I would be in a place I could do it earlier and let time slip away.
What are you looking for? What size controller?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Re: SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 01-01-21)

I am trying to find where I can purchase the Renard SS24 controller boards (bare boards or kit form).

I have been using five of the older boards (up to 120 channels) since 2009 but mine are beginning to fail and I want to replace the failed ones.

Any idea where I can purchase replacements?

Last edited:

I am trying to find where I can purchase the Renard SS24 controller boards (bare boards or kit form).

I have been using five of the older boards (up to 120 channels) since 2009 but mine are beginning to fail and I want to replace the failed ones.

Any idea where I can purchase replacements?
Here would be the only place. What is failing on them? Triacs?? You can order replacement triacs from digikey or mouser. Or just about any other component on the ss24 unless it is out of stock.

I just bought some used ones. Unless you had a catastrophic event with the board
and burned a lot of traces, they should be repairable. I still have the first one I bought
in my show! I got the kit and built it in 2010! They are pretty much rock solid, or have been
for me at least. The only parts I have that failed are Triacs, Mocs, one zero crossing
clock and of course a fuse here or there. I do find that the screw terminals on the power
and outputs will loosen slightly over time and re-tighten them from time to time.

Every season since 2012 I dig the Christmas stuff out of storage, and every season I marvel at how my Renard boards (one Renard 8 & five Renard 24) operate.

They are easy to build, and I swear there must be some magic in 'em to do all they do.
128 channels. Each obeying their duty seemingly at once. Dimming, and flashing and fading, and all synched perfectly with music.
I mean, if THAT ain't magic I wouldn't know what is.

If you're on the fence about getting a Renard or two or six for yourself, quit hesitating!

Can anyone get me the part number for the 5V voltage regulator? Also, has anyone seen issues with these going bad? If so, what does that look like? When I wiggle the regulator, the board either will lose power or my channels flicker for a split second.

I purchased an SS8 kit, and found the kit very well laid out, with all the parts, and very understandable instructions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help. I've run through the tests that are done with all the ICs removed and then replacing them one by one. I don't have the chip that is programed for circuit trouble shooting, and am not sure I'd know what to do with it if I did have one.

Also, there is a reasonably good chance that the board is okay, but it's my use of the software that is failing. I've used Vixen 2.14 on an older XT machine (via parallel port) and it worked fine. However, I can't seem to get 2.14 to work with this SS8 board in a Win 10 machine via USB or regular serial port. I've tried Vixen 3, but frankly don't understand the program well enough to be sure that I'm setting it up correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone here is in the business of testing boards built by neophytes such as myself, or am I doomed to continue screwing around with it until I break something permanently. Any suggestions will be welcome and greatly appreciated. Cheers to all.

Can anyone get me the part number for the 5V voltage regulator? Also, has anyone seen issues with these going bad? If so, what does that look like? When I wiggle the regulator, the board either will lose power or my channels flicker for a split second.
Sounds like a cold solder joint to me, try reflowing the solder.

I purchased an SS8 kit, and found the kit very well laid out, with all the parts, and very understandable instructions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help. I've run through the tests that are done with all the ICs removed and then replacing them one by one. I don't have the chip that is programed for circuit trouble shooting, and am not sure I'd know what to do with it if I did have one.

Also, there is a reasonably good chance that the board is okay, but it's my use of the software that is failing. I've used Vixen 2.14 on an older XT machine (via parallel port) and it worked fine. However, I can't seem to get 2.14 to work with this SS8 board in a Win 10 machine via USB or regular serial port. I've tried Vixen 3, but frankly don't understand the program well enough to be sure that I'm setting it up correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone here is in the business of testing boards built by neophytes such as myself, or am I doomed to continue screwing around with it until I break something permanently. Any suggestions will be welcome and greatly appreciated. Cheers to all.
What are you using for the USB to serial conversion??

I purchased an SS8 kit, and found the kit very well laid out, with all the parts, and very understandable instructions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help.

Tom,

For troubleshooting the board, I'd recommend posting in
Hardware -> Renard -> General
Instead of this thread to buy the boards.

Also, test and troubleshooting guides are linked at the bottom of https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard_SS8_Controller_Board

DM me when you start a new thread, and I'll jump over to the new thread for troubleshooting.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What are you using for the USB to serial conversion??

I have tried both ways...

This USB to RS232 adapter:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...&loc=1&extStoreId=601&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=ds

And this M to F straight serial cable:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2030432708...brand=StarTech&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Also, for what it's worth, I've run thru the "Renard SS8 Beginner Setup Guide" linked on the Renard SS8 Controller Board page.

I will also follow error650's suggestion to repost this saga in the Hardware/Renard/General section of the forum.

Back