Support for D-light

thedudedrummer

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew the protocoll for the D-light ACx16 unit. The way the computer communicates to it. I need this to make it compatible with another program, and I cannot find a source for this knowledge. Thanks, Mike

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew the protocoll for the D-light ACx16 unit. The way the computer communicates to it. I need this to make it compatible with another program, and I cannot find a source for this knowledge. Thanks, Mike

The D-Light equipment uses the same protocol as LOR I, with a RS485 interface.

The D-light /lor protocol is not available to the public and we choose not to venture into that direction.unless you want to pay the legal fees. LOL

It shouldn't be too hard for the OP to reverse-engineer it as well. I suspect that nobody here has bothered to do that...

--

Phil

It shouldn't be too hard for the OP to reverse-engineer it as well. I suspect that nobody here has bothered to do that...

--

Phil

Thats how D-Light was born!

edit: It has come to my attention that the common perception of how D-Light started and came about may not be correct. Therefore the above statement may be incorrect and I may have just bought into the public misconception.

If anyone wants to help me do that it would be great lol! I dont know how to reverse engeneer the unit, and unfortunately the person who I can have make a plugin for VSA is in england so he is of little help in that regard as well. I just dont want to have to pay to switch over to DMX when I have these units already. Anyone know of a DIY dimmer/controller/ssr system that wouldnt be too costly, and would be compatible with VSA? I know the kit74 boards work well, and others, but I have no experience with the other DIY systems. Id use Vixen but I sell a line of animatronic skulls that use VSA to run, plus my other routines are all in VSA, so I cant easily switch over. Does Vixen support LOR/D-light? Maybe I can have him find a way to trigger a Vixen routine instead. THanks, Mike

Not sure this would be any help for your software issue, but I was talking to someone at the Ga Mini last weekend who told me Aurora, (which is beta testing right now), will also have plug-ins for not only D-Light, but all the other boards out there, much like Vixen.

That news makes me extremely happy, now I won't have to have a fire sale on the 40+ AC D-Light boards and I'll be able to use my D-Light DC boards as well.

Not sure this would be any help for your software issue, but I was talking to someone at the Ga Mini last weekend who told me Aurora, (which is beta testing right now), will also have plug-ins for not only D-Light, but all the other boards out there, much like Vixen.

That news makes me extremely happy, now I won't have to have a fire sale on the 40+ AC D-Light boards and I'll be able to use my D-Light DC boards as well.

That sounds very aggressive. Would be interesting to see how well it works.

40+ Boards? You really are a Crazy Light Lady :eek:

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that the common perception of how D-Light started and came about may not be correct. Therefore my previous may be incorrect and I may have just bought into the public misconception. I have added and edit to my previous post in this thread to reflect accordingly.

It has come to my attention that the common perception of how D-Light started and came about may not be correct. Therefore my previous may be incorrect and I may have just bought into the public misconception. I have added and edit to my previous post in this thread to reflect accordingly.

Sooooo.....what exactly has come to your attention???? :?

I have always had some thoughts on this. Depending on the model it is thinkable that the firmware could be easily replaced with a renard type.
I don't know if Darryl would chime in on his feelings on this. My thinking is if you pop out the PIC and replace it with another, whats the harm. OF Course , Renard, by itself wouldn't just drop in, it would take a little work but I am sure it is doable.

Of course if Darryl (assuming he is still a part of D-Light) wants to release a "control" library for a few bucks, that would be cool too I suppose. Then someone just needs to glue it into the vixen plugin spec.

Tony.

I know D-Light and LOR are established companies that are in it to make money. But I can not see why they gaurd their protocol the way they do. I can only see more boards being sold if other software could support their boards. For instance, quite a few people on this forum have converted over to DIY boards and sold off all of their LOR boards, becuase they feel Vixen is a superior peice of software. If Vixen could support LOR ond D-Light hardware, I know a few people who whould buy a few of the LOR boards and mix them in with their DIY stuff.

I hope someone at LOR/D-Light can realize this potential for more profit in the near futue.

i understand. I was just trying to gauge if there was more interests. Looks like everyone else isn't interested due to the lack of response.

In the past 2 years I have only seen a hand full of request for that Darrel,
other than that im not sure if it would be good for your buisness or bad.
But I alway like the new people to go to you first if they are not comfortable building there own here.

Are you considering a special type of D-light board for vixen use or your standard ones.

Back