Support for D-light

Yes, it means the twinkle and flickers are handled in hardware rather than the application sending it.

Then am I correct in assuming that the software must send out some kind of trigger for these special effects to occur? And if so any idea what it is? Is there no way to send some type of data via dmx that would trigger these effects? Maybe a special dmx-dlight plug in that could do it?

The hardware does not decide on its own to start a twinkle effect.

Earlier readings shows that the D-Light is using a bootloader. I suspect we could create a REN firmware image that would load over the serial bootloader.
Then without changing the hardware at all, it could be made to talk REN.
Unless there is something highly proprietary about the bootloader (I'm guessing not).

One thought that comes to my mind would be to create a daughterboard that would plug into the PIC slots (as long as they are removable) to adapt/change them to the Renard Spec. I would draw something like this up - but - don't have a board to test with.

As I look at the boards - it appears that they use 18F pics for each of the 8 channels.

Of course, if someone wrote an dlight (lor) plugin for vixen.... that would also solve the issue!

Then am I correct in assuming that the software must send out some kind of trigger for these special effects to occur? And if so any idea what it is? Is there no way to send some type of data via dmx that would trigger these effects? Maybe a special dmx-dlight plug in that could do it?

The hardware does not decide on its own to start a twinkle effect.

Hasn't a lor/d-light plugin for Vixen been discussed somewhere before?

There are currently 3 programs that I am aware of that can control Lor/D-Light boards, LOR, Aurora, and Light Show Pro. A good programmer should be able to capture and ananlyze the data stream then design a Vixen driver. Maybe thats too much of a simplification.

Tom

Well, one of my goals for "next year" is to get into programming again.. been out for 10 years.....

Nice work hope this make alot of people happy....
Me! Me! It makes me happy! Now...once we buy a house here in Michigan, then I can fire up my 200+ channels with Vixen for the holidays. Most likely fall 2010, as we just moved here from Wyoming.

I'm trying to convert my Dlight controllers to DMX. It seems that the Dlight forum went away. Does anyone have the info on how to convert or map new chips for the Dlight controllers?

I might be able to help, I have to check my note on this.
First you will have to get new pic 18f2420 I think, look at the number on the pic's it should be 18fxxxx. You can get them from micrchip.com.
You will need a pickit programmer 2 or 3 (think I used 3) to program the pick and software to do this, You can find free software for the pickit 3, here is a video
https://youtu.be/oAgKxxoEDa4
i found on you tube which show's how to use the pickit 3 software MPLAB X IPE (which worked for me).
You will need a hex file which I think I have on my computer and would be happy to give to you or post it if I can figure out how to.
Once you have the the pic programmed I remember something about a DEWEY config and needing a usb dongle to talk to the chip. I was abbe to use the LOR 485 USB dongle with booster to talk to the newly programmed dmx chip Now you should be able to set your address (1 -16) , ( 17-32) etc, you choose with the d-light utility hardware ( I think ) This is all from memory, hopefully I'm not to far off, like I said I ill check my notes in the next day or two.
Hope this helps David

I might be able to help, I have to check my note on this.
First you will have to get new pic 18f2420 I think, look at the number on the pic's it should be 18fxxxx. You can get them from micrchip.com.
You will need a pickit programmer 2 or 3 (think I used 3) to program the pick and software to do this, You can find free software for the pickit 3, here is a video
https://youtu.be/oAgKxxoEDa4
i found on you tube which show's how to use the pickit 3 software MPLAB X IPE (which worked for me).
You will need a hex file which I think I have on my computer and would be happy to give to you or post it if I can figure out how to.
Once you have the the pic programmed I remember something about a DEWEY config and needing a usb dongle to talk to the chip. I was abbe to use the LOR 485 USB dongle with booster to talk to the newly programmed dmx chip Now you should be able to set your address (1 -16) , ( 17-32) etc, you choose with the d-light utility hardware ( I think ) This is all from memory, hopefully I'm not to far off, like I said I ill check my notes in the next day or two.
Hope this helps David

Back