Triks-C and the Falcon Player

Not sure if this is the issue but you selected "Media and Sequence" but did not specify a media file. Maybe you should choose sequence only.

The entry in the playlist is a 'Seq' type so he should be OK there. The default type is 'Media and Sequence' when you open the screen so I think that is when the screenshot is taken.

I have found a bug nutcracker. If i set up a single colour horizontal matrix 16x96, the start and end channels both equal the same. Changing to RGB seems to work.

Yes, I should have stated that, you need to setup a RGB matrix. The only color channel which will get used is the red channel though since the LEDTriks is monochrome. I'm not sure if there is any way to setup a single-color matrix where each LED is only represented by one channel.

It won't play the sequence. I may have nothing there. It won't let me upload the fseq file.

Try renaming it to append a .txt extension, I believe that will work.

My LedTriks sequence is "THIS IS a test". The .fseq file is 1.6 mb, and, so is the text file. There is a max of 1.0 mb to upload to this site. Does that sound large for that amount of text? I really think I have everything working except the saving of the sequence. I'll go back tonight and look at the tutorial and see if I am missing something.
I appreciate your help. If I can do this, then I feel most can.

OK, I cut down on the file size and attached a .fseq file with the .txt extension. I still can't bring it up in preview.

UPDATE: This computer is a new build with Win8.1 and I have been working thru the new OS (my old was XP). I finally gave up and uninstalled Nutcracker and reinstalled it. My preview pane is working and the file seems to be saved. I think it was in the "update grid" I was having an issue. I still could not get the Pi to play the .fseq to the LedTriks, but I am now hopeful.
I will work through the Perl scrip tonight as windows would not let me remove the hidden .txt. I am sure I will get it going tonight.

FINAL UPDATE: The LedTriks works fine through the serial port and during the test. It also works on the old computer using XBees, so I know the Trik-C is functioning normally. I tried both the perl script and the test.fseq programs, and although the Trik-C is flashing on both accounts, I am getting no output to the LED's. Unless my USB/Serial is not compatible, I don't know what is going on. The XBees also make the Trik-C flash, but no lights. I have ordered another USB/Serial and it will be here Tue or Wed. Will try again then.

Attachments

• test1.txt
    972.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Ok I connected the FPP to the Triks panel using the same USB cable I always use.
My triks is configured as 1x2 ( ie 16 vertical by 96 horizontal)
When I power up the Triks panel I get the same old Firmware splash.
I then connected the usb to the PI, reboot and run a sequence file created in Nutcracker. The Sequence file is attached.
What I observe it the Firmware splash disappears but I don't see Merry Christmas scrolling across the panel.

Any suggestions what I should do next?

Thanks

Attachments

• Triks_MerryC.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 5
I tried both the perl script and the test.fseq programs, and although the Trik-C is flashing on both accounts, I am getting no output to the LED's. Unless my USB/Serial is not compatible, I don't know what is going on. The XBees also make the Trik-C flash, but no lights.

Remember that the sequence file contains data for each 'pixel' not the string text itself so the file will be larger than what you are used to possibly.

What panel number are your panels set to? The test program is pretty simple but only displays on panel number one.

If you are getting a blinking indicator light on the Triks-C when FPP is transmitting/playing then it sounds like the dongle is OK. Is this RS232 or RS485? Are there any settings in the Triks-C related to that?

Last edited:
Any suggestions what I should do next?

I will try to okay your test file on my virtual display tonight to confirm it is OK.

Does the activity light on the Triks-C flash when FPP is playing? Do you have the Triks-C output enabled (the 'act' checkbox) in FPP? Have you restarted FPPD via the start/stop button on the main status page in the FPP UI?

When I power up the Triks panel I get the same old Firmware splash.
I then connected the usb to the PI, reboot and run a sequence file created in Nutcracker.
What I observe it the Firmware splash disappears

This is exactly what i am seeing.
Remember that the sequence file contains data for each 'pixel' not the string text itself so the file will be larger than what you are used to possibly.

What panel number are your panels set to? The test program is pretty simple but only displays on panel number one.

If you are getting a blinking indicator light on the Triks-C when FPP is transmitting/playing then it sounds like the dongle is OK. Is this RS232 or RS485? Are there any settings in the Triks-C related to that?

My panel is a 1 x 1. My output is RS232. I assumed the Triks-C was 57600, N,8,1... The ATTiny2313 is programmed with the standard HEX(02) file.
Here is my fseq.

Attachments

• test.zip
    22.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That is what I saw using the previous file provided by XmaxinGalt as well - when I created my own using NC, all was fine - no idea why...

Btw what is not clear to me is start address and how this affects the rest of the display.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mine is 2x2 - not sure how that will work with your 1x2... It's on another computer - will have to load it up.

I can't see the activity lights as the panel is boxed up and screwed to the front of our house.
I tried a Reboot Pi button and when that didn't work, I tried a power down and power up.
Cheers

The start address in FPP just needs to match the start address you used when you created the Nutcracker horizontal matrix model.

For testing, a 2x2 sequence will work on a 1x2 matrix as long as the start channels match up but only the top half will display since the bottom two panels don't exist. In FPP set the layout to 1x2 since that is the physical layout.

OK - try this one - I haven't had a chance to play with it lately (work is a bear...) - it should be 30 seconds - with 15 seconds of "garlands" falling then 15 seconds of balls bouncing around.

Did you get the Perl script running?

Attachments

• ledtriks-bu2.zip
    56.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks.
First thing I notice is you have a Xesq file. I converted to Fseq, threw it into a playlist and it works a charm. I have Garlands dancing around the panel,followed by a sawtooth scrolling down.

Now to find out where I went wrong.

Thanks.
First thing I notice is you have a Xesq file. I converted to Fseq, threw it into a playlist and it works a charm. I have Garlands dancing around the panel,followed by a sawtooth scrolling down.

Now to find out where I went wrong.

woot -- welcome to the club! Sorry - I had both files sitting there and grabbed the wrong set...

Seeing "Merry Christmas" scroll across the panel is truly candy to my eyes.

I probably went wrong on a different number of fronts, but I think where I went wrong the mostest is by exporting the sequence rather that playing in preview and then converting from xseq to fseq format.

Back