Download and Installation
Download the software HLS_Install_**.zip from  and save it to your computer.
- Tip: One way to organize the downloaded versions is to create a folder named "HLS Versions" and save downloads there.
- Unzip the HLS_Install_**.zip and four files will be created in a folder named the same as the zip file. These four files are:
Unlike a lot of software, HLS doesn't change your registry and isn't installed in a typical way. All that's necessary to get HLS up and running is to place the four files listed above into a folder and you are off and running. A little time spent on creating a foundation of folders to hold your copy of HLS will go a long way in keeping your computer organized and the files you will be creating logical and easy to find.
Note: Prior to version 16K, the HLS Program and Data all were contained within the HLS Application folder. Starting in version 16K, data can be set to any place you want. Your Documents folder, an external hard drive, etc. Follow the Moving HLS Data Directories page to separate data from application.
Wherever you decide to save HLS data, the following structure is suggested:
HLS HLS\Backgrounds HLS\Library HLS\Music
When you create an HLS sequence, HLS will create a folder under your HLS folder with the sequence name.
- Now that you have the foundation of folders created, copy the four files from the HLS_Install_**.zip version into your "HLS" folder.
- Now you are ready to run HLS.
- Note: If you are using Windows 7 you need to change the properties of the HLS.exe file to run as Administrator.
- Open HLS.exe and begin to sequence.
OS Specific Installation
When you start up HLS, it automatically checks for the most recent version. If there is a new version, a window will open asking if you want to upgrade. If you choose yes, you will be redirected to the website to download the newest version.
- Simply download the latest version, unzip the files, and overwrite the old files with the new ones.
Upgrade Path for Skipped Updates
Due to the high rate of development of HLS, if a user is not monitoring the updates frequently, it is easy to fall several versions behind. If someone upgrades to the latest version from an older version, there is risk of data loss from the sequence files no longer being able to be opened.
To address this concern, there is an upgrade path that can be taken to move from older version to the newest version. Each time an upgrade step is made, any sequences that you want to keep should be opened in that step and saved before moving to the next step.
- Upgrading from a version less than 11E: Install version 11H 
- Open any sequence you wish to keep in version 11H and Save Sequences.
- Upgrade from 11H to the most current version. 
- Open and Save sequences again to have them fully updated.