20W Flood RGB LED driver board (WS2811)

Fort clarity. I hooked up 24 volt dc power supply + and - to v+ and grnd on board and used zues to drive data line.

What is zues ?

I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought a misspelling of Zeus which was an older controller style that has nothing to do with ws2812. So I doubt it’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pixelnet Zues16 controller from DIYlightanimation. A little old but drives most of my 2811 pixels and and my 10watt Rob G floods at 12vots. I have a big mixture of controllers from renards, lynx, zues, Kostyn24. Zues controllers work at 12 volts so I am trying to use that for my data with the 24v power separate. My guess is I shouldn't have hooked up the v- from my 24vt power supply to the grnd on the flood.

pixelnet Zues16 controller from DIYlightanimation. A little old but drives most of my 2811 pixels and and my 10watt Rob G floods at 12vots. I have a big mixture of controllers from renards, lynx, zues, Kostyn24. Zues controllers work at 12 volts so I am trying to use that for my data with the 24v power separate. My guess is I shouldn't have hooked up the v- from my 24vt power supply to the grnd on the flood.

Did you run the gnd from the Zues to the flood also :)

thank you in advance for your help. Not yet. That is what I do with the 10 watt floods. Set up just like the wiki for the 10 watt floods as 12volts go in and out of the zuess. It's adding the 24volt seperat power that obviously has me confused a bit. If I run the ground (-) from the zues which is similar to what I would do from a falcon I think I'm not sure what I would do with the v- from the power supply. Or do I do nothing with that. I would be running the data and (-) ground from the zues and v+ from the power supply. Leaving the V- from the power unconnected or would that also be tied to the ground.

thank you in advance for your help. Not yet. That is what I do with the 10 watt floods. Set up just like the wiki for the 10 watt floods as 12volts go in and out of the zuess. It's adding the 24volt seperat power that obviously has me confused a bit. If I run the ground (-) from the zues which is similar to what I would do from a falcon I think I'm not sure what I would do with the v- from the power supply. Or do I do nothing with that. I would be running the data and (-) ground from the zues and v+ from the power supply. Leaving the V- from the power unconnected or would that also be tied to the ground.

v- from the power supply and v- from the Zues should be tied together . If memory serves , there is 2 gnd pads on the 20watt board 1 for Vin and 1 for the data

So it was the Zeus board afterall. BTW: Proper spelling really helps us know for sure what we're dealing with.

And Angus is correct. Your V- (aka DC ground) from the two PSUs absolutely should be tied together. This ensures that the voltage levels are all referenced to the same 0 point. I don't remember if there's multiple ground pads or not on the flood board, but if there is, they're internally connected. If there's only one pad, then you need to connect the V- from both PSUs there.

That worked thank you. The burn marks don't seem to be an issue either. I started with wiring them up the same as the 10 watt 12v version then started over thinking I shouldn't tie the 24volt power supply (v-) back to the 12volt controller. Spelling yeh. Don't think there is a Zues controller out there sorry for the confusion. Currently an x-lights user but one of these days I'll start learning Vixen as I started this hobby using Dasher.

I've been through most of these posts and wondered if someone would be able to direct me right to a link for a board that can be used to control RGB floods with my ESPixels sticks?

Thanks
Bruce

I've been through most of these posts and wondered if someone would be able to direct me right to a link for a board that can be used to control RGB floods with my ESPixels sticks?

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce

What ESPixelstick variation do you have => esp-01 or Wemos ?
Are you talking RobG's dumb RGB Floods ?

These will permit pixel control of 12vDc Dumb Rgb with the standard pixel firmware on the EspixelStick .

Last edited:
I have no experience with those rgb floods .
You could open one and have a look see at the type of driver board used and post some pics here for advice .

Any flood that comes with a remote is likely not directly controllable in a light show. I think there might be some floods that use ws2811 but most are Bluetooth.

You can't directly directly control RGB floods from the esp nor can you directly use DMX fixtures. Both can be overcome with additional hardware.

You want to look for something that is explicitly ws281x based like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001281828371.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.2.5f701c39c0GmCB

Nice find for less than $20.

Very nice - thank you.
You would think that during a "lockdown" I would have started gathering light show equipment earlier.

Back