DIGWDF Store Announcement

DIGWDF Gerber and DipTrace Design Files are now available for downloading. Here's what you need to know:

** There is a small charge for each file (Gerbers: $1, DipTrace: $2.50)

** The Gerber files are packed inside a ZIP archive file, which can be uploaded to most any board production house.

** The DipTrace design files require the installation of DipTrace PCB software, which is a free download from diptrace.com

** Where are the files? In the DIGWDF Store. Yes, the store is closed, but all the downloadable files are available, including our documentation and firmware listings. Make sure the email address listed in your store account is correct. After purchasing one or more files, the store will send an email with links to download the files you've chosen.

** If you want to view the Gerber files and/or print them out, we suggest the free gerbv tool (https://sourceforge.net/projects/gerbv/) Once printed, you can measure them as sometimes the dimensions are necessary when you order PCBs.

Questions/Answers
1. Are these the actual DIGWDF files? Yes.

2. Can I make modifications to them? Yes, and if you do, you must remove any references to DIGWDF from the silkscreen layers.

3. Can I sell PCBs that I've had made? Yes, but DIGWDF cannot and will not support them. If you intend to sell them, you should download the DipTrace design files and remove any references to DIGWDF from the silkscreen layers and make your own Gerbers.

4. Can I post them on Oshpark or Tindie? Not the original DIGWDF files, no. But you can certainly modify the files, remove all references to DIGWDF and make them your own designs, and then do whatever you like with them at that point.

5. Can I copy the documentation files, too? If you modify the PCB in any way, no; you must write your own documentation for your version of the PCB, unless our original documentation specifies otherwise.

6. Can you help me make PCB modifications? No, sorry, but we'll be glad to answer questions you may have.

7. What if I can't get the email to download the files? Sorry, we can't help you with your email problems. Make sure digwdf.com and digwdf.org are allowed sources and are not blocked by your anti-spam software.

8. What if I delete the email with the download links? Don't do that until after you have downloaded the files.

This is it....

Fire sale pricing -- we're in the final stages of really clearing out the DIGWDF store and before we toss everything into the recycling bin, we thought we'd make some packages available, price them to recover shipping/handling and hopefully get these into the hands of folks that can use them. We'll hang onto these things until about March 1st and whatever's left goes in the recycling dumpster. Because the store still has its links to PayPal and whatever, we've opened only a new "Packages" area...

Here'a link to the first post of the thread that describes them: https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?9643-Leftover-Stock&p=104510&viewfull=1#post104510

Here's the link to the list of packages in the store: http://digwdf.com/store/category.php?id_category=37

Re: How to order PCBs from a Manufacturer

Is there a list, on this site, that provides a list of PCB manfacturers that are preferred by users here on this forum?

Re: How to order PCBs from a Manufacturer

Is there a list, on this site, that provides a list of PCB manfacturers that are preferred by users here on this forum?

I don't recall seeing one, but there have been periodic informal surveys made. But there are so many board manufacturers it's senseless to try to compile a list. Google is your friend. Search for PCB Manufacturing and you'll be amazed....

We've had some requests from folks for a download package of all the Gerber files together, and that's now available, too. We also added a similar download for all the DipTrace design files.

Savings galore!! Only $69.95 for all our Gerbers and $115 for all the DipTrace source design files!

These packages will be available for a limited time -- probably through the summer only...

I bought the Gerbers and Design files for the ESP-RS485 Adapter (what an incredibly useful little board!).

When I tried to send the gerbers to a fab house, the fab house rejected it because the board outline was not a rectangle. I was able to view the outline and it included the outline for the ESP-01 which hangs over the side.

I have used drawing software like Visio a lot and lightweight CAD software a little. I am not a circuit designer but I was able to use a free version of (I think it was) DipTrace to remove the ESP-01. I had to drop in a replacement header component and connect traces and then find some instructions about how to configure DipTrace to output "fab house compatible" Gerbers. It worked.

I'm so proud.

I bought the Gerbers and Design files for the ESP-RS485 Adapter (what an incredibly useful little board!).

When I tried to send the gerbers to a fab house, the fab house rejected it because the board outline was not a rectangle. I was able to view the outline and it included the outline for the ESP-01 which hangs over the side.

I have used drawing software like Visio a lot and lightweight CAD software a little. I am not a circuit designer but I was able to use a free version of (I think it was) DipTrace to remove the ESP-01. I had to drop in a replacement header component and connect traces and then find some instructions about how to configure DipTrace to output "fab house compatible" Gerbers. It worked.

I'm so proud.

Good job, although you shouldn't have had to do that. The GML (mechanical) layer file for that board is clearly and unequivocally rectangular. There is a silk screen marking that goes off the board but that's not what defines the board dimensions -- the mechanical layer does. The board house goofed-up.

Good job, although you shouldn't have had to do that. The GML (mechanical) layer file for that board is clearly and unequivocally rectangular. There is a silk screen marking that goes off the board but that's not what defines the board dimensions -- the mechanical layer does. The board house goofed-up.

Maybe that is what they complained about. I don't remember. Anyway, it worked out. Thank for making the designs available.

Re: This is it....

Comcast was so thoughtful about 10 days ago when they flashed my router with a new (and possibly untested) version of firmware... all access to my server died except for the LAN side -- it worked fine internally. For one thing, one can still log into the Comcast router directly, except there are critical configuration points that are no longer available: you have to configure them WITH YOUR DANG PHONE USING AN APP!

So I downloaded the app, logged in and still couldn't configure anything, partly because I couldn't find anything -- they've screwed things up again!!!

After some tense (and VERY LOUD) phone conversations with them, they sent me a new router and some credit on my account, but they ignored my request to return to the good old days of being able to configure the router directly. Jerks.

So now, after 3 more days of screwing around with their new "make it easier for customers" app -- which obviously they released before they'd done any consumer testing -- I FINALLY got it working again today. Each time I contacted their online tech support people, who always had to escalate the service ticket to the "expert" team, and they said they'd call the next morning. Those calls never happened. Neither did any texts or follow-up of any kind. Jerks. However, each time I got on a chat with a tech person (and there were quite a few chat sessions), I got a credit on my account. So I'm thinking maybe I might get my account down to zero$ if I work this right...

In any event, DIGWDF.ORG is back on the web for any of you folks that need our assembly and user guides, need to do research on the old DIGWDF products, or want to order any of the Gerbers for one or all of our boards...

Ugh~!
You can't configure it from a browser from your side of the router!? WEIRD.
I would hate that.
Comcast was so thoughtful about 10 days ago when they flashed my router with a new (and possibly untested) version of firmware... all access to my server died except for the LAN side -- it worked fine internally. For one thing, one can still log into the Comcast router directly, except there are critical configuration points that are no longer available: you have to configure them WITH YOUR DANG PHONE USING AN APP!

So I downloaded the app, logged in and still couldn't configure anything, partly because I couldn't find anything -- they've screwed things up again!!!

After some tense (and VERY LOUD) phone conversations with them, they sent me a new router and some credit on my account, but they ignored my request to return to the good old days of being able to configure the router directly. Jerks.

So now, after 3 more days of screwing around with their new "make it easier for customers" app -- which obviously they released before they'd done any consumer testing -- I FINALLY got it working again today. Each time I contacted their online tech support people, who always had to escalate the service ticket to the "expert" team, and they said they'd call the next morning. Those calls never happened. Neither did any texts or follow-up of any kind. Jerks. However, each time I got on a chat with a tech person (and there were quite a few chat sessions), I got a credit on my account. So I'm thinking maybe I might get my account down to zero$ if I work this right...

In any event, DIGWDF.ORG is back on the web for any of you folks that need our assembly and user guides, need to do research on the old DIGWDF products, or want to order any of the Gerbers for one or all of our boards...

Ugh~!
You can't configure it from a browser from your side of the router!? WEIRD.
I would hate that.

Yeah. It's ugly. You can still log into the browser and make some changes, but some of the all-important ones such as port forwarding? Nope. Gotta do that with either the phone or logged into xfinity on a desktop. And on a desktop, some of the screens are so poorly designed you can only see 2 of the 3 digits of an octet of an IP address.

And then there's a thing called "advanced security." They have replaced Norton (or MacAfee) with their own version of protection, and the setting to change it isn't anywhere near the Internet settings. What it essentially does is block everything both in and out that's not port 80, and it even hammers some of that. The configuration setting is enabled by default and to disable it, you have to dig deep into the general settings area of a different part of xfinity's account configuration. Your choice is either ON or OFF, nothing in-between. And if it's ON, you're pretty much guaranteed that access to anything on the LAN from the outside is not going to happen.

So, with that in mind, Merry Christmas from Xfinity/Comcast, where we're always full of surprises, and other things....

Yeah. It's ugly. You can still log into the browser and make some changes, but some of the all-important ones such as port forwarding? Nope.

Buy your own modem/router. I bought a Netgear for my GF and you only needed to verify with a Comcast website.

It your modem/router and they don't update the firmware, its your responsibility.

She has 200MB download and it's 200MB on internet speed tests. Upload is around 60-80MB.

I have Spectrum and switching was a total PITA. I had to have a Tech come out and another Tech had to directly modify the server.

No more slow speed and dropped connections anymore. Also saved $20 a month, renting those limited routers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I was going to recommend this as well. Xfinity kept jerking around the modem/router software enough (making it difficult to get in/out with Blue Iris) that I finally bought my own modem and router. They're not expensive at all; I think they pay for themselves in less than a year once you stop lining their pockets with the modem rental fee.

I absolutely agree that your own gear is the best way to go.

However, for us, our landline phone and security system are tied into the mix as well as cable TV and gigabit Internet, so it gets a little more complicated. We're what they call "a heavy XFinity customer" and if we run into a really bad situation where something is absolutely down, because it's all their equipment and not our's, they send out a tech person usually in the matter of a couple hours; the gear gets fixed or replaced immediately. When we call for help and they pull up our record and see that we've been heavy-use customers since 1981, they go, "OH, I've got your account right here. We'll have someone come out right away!" And they do.

I'm willing to pay for that sort of "insurance." But in the case of the web servers that I run here, they will go only as far as their equipment and making sure it works as prescribed -- they won't touch any configuration issues with the servers. And that's fine with me.

Just FYI, XFinity has implemented a thing called "advanced security." From what I can tell, it has no variability in the settings -- it's either enabled or disabled. When it's enabled, nothing else seems to work, not port forwarding, port triggering, not DMZ, nothing. The default setting is "enabled" and you can absolutely tear your hair out trying to connect from the WAN to the LAN. All the settings can look just right but it won't work. Worse, to turn it off, the setting is buried deep in the general configuration area of your account, not in the Internet configuration area.

Back