DIGWDF Store Announcement

Re: DIGWDF Store Happenings

No, there's no real estate for a second RJ45 but there is the facility to connect an outbound CAT5.... check the hacks page of the user guide... it's on the downloads page for the product in the store.

Re: FourStick!!!

We're restocking the store -- RenStick kits, OneStick kits, FourStick kits, ESP-RS485/DMX adapters, and more....

EDIT: Kits are available WITH AND WITHOUT the ESP modules!

Last edited:

We have ESP-01 modules now with more on the way -- and kits in stock..... while supply lasts anyway.... some of them sell like hotcakes!

Yes, it's true. We're likely closing down the DIGWDF Store after this year. Most of our products are for traditional lighting (AC, strings, etc.) and the market for those products is seriously waning. Big box stores are producing more and more cookie-cutter display pieces and everybody seems to believe that pixels are the answer -- apparently there's an overwhelming desire for folks to outline their roofs and leave it at that. Since there are plenty of pixel-type controllers available, and Shelby's ESPixelStick is just an outstanding controller for individual, on-the-prop display use, we have no desire to replicate those products by develping "me too" controllers. Consequently, as sales have all but dried-up for conventional DIGWDF gear, the cost of maintaining the store vs. revenue will likely be at a point where closing the store makes the best economic sense.

Within the next couple weeks our boards will arrive for the PiNard-8, a complete standalone controller based on the Raspberry Pi Zero (or Zero-W) and the excellent Falcon player. PiNard is another "strange product from DIGWDF labs" and it provides a solid solution for those folks that want a completely standalone controller system that can provide full dimming control of AC or DC lights (using external SSRs), host sequences, audio and/or video files and play them completely autonomously -- or be connected to a larger show, if you prefer that instead. It's a pretty simple concept, really -- it's just that nobody's every put it all together on one PCB before -- at least as far as we've seen. Here's a photo of the prototype -- which encountered a little accident when an arm accidentally flicked a wire and it landed in just the wrong place...

pinard-8_prototype.JPG

PiNard-8 is the last invention the DIGWDF Engineers have planned. A very limited number of kits and PCBs will be available in the store sometime in September and there are no plans to reorder parts or boards for any DIGWDF products. So what's in the store by mid-September is all that's going to be there, and of course, everything is on a first-come, first-served basis until stocks are depleted or the store officially closes.

What's to happen to the DIGWDF staff? That's a bit unknown but Grelllbbb, Hngnnorrgg and Fffllleeennnkkk are already excited about being released onto the general public (we can't keep them chained to their lab benches forever, although we know the local police would prefer that...), Monica (our receptionist) says she's found love again (but some of us think it's just a bad case of gas), Mike Mooble, our stealth field tester is looking at joining the CIA now that government acceptance standards are at an all-time low, and Dwart Farquahar, our trusty maintenance chief couldn't be more delighted as he'll no longer have to clean up the mess of drool and other crud in the DIGWDF Lab after the engineers have had another crazy-glue squirt-gun fight, and he says he'll just take his mop with him when he retires.

Dirk is hopeful that the staff will be completely gone by the time he turns 70 next year and he can just take his boat out unencumbered by the day-to-day disasters that have happened at the Lab over the past 7 years....

But the store has had a terrific ride and it's gratifying that there's some gear out there in the blinky-flashy world that has the DIGWDF moniker. Dirk will still be around -- it's just the store that's closing...

Last edited:
Sorry to see the store go. Thank you for all you have done for the Christmas Lights Addiction community. Where will I go for my wireless extension cords now?

Re: DIGWDF Store Happenings

I’ve been gone for a while (packing, moving, building a house, getting ready to move in, etc) and I come back to this? Sorry to see the store go. Will the site remain? Hope so!

Thanks for all the fun, excitement and anticipation over the years!

-joni

Well I sure hope you don't go anywhere for awhile ! I have not got to the animatronics portion I have be procrastinating on for a few years .

I was counting on you and your wares for that . As you are aware this hobby robs all your time and 1 simple addition seems to take the wind out of the sails for anything else and forces you to push things off .

.................. this hobby robs all your time and 1 simple addition seems to take the wind out of the sails for anything else and forces you to push things off .

My old friend....you can say that again..... It's amazing how much time it takes.....I'm finding that I'm spending almost as much time keeping older stuff working or updated as new versions of material hits the market....

I too have been thinking about animatronics some.....but I don't see as much 'help' for that area to learn how to do things and get started as you have for pixels...controllers etc...

As for the store closing I can see the point about traditional things (dumb strings etc) diminishing in usage.... And I'm not sure but I don't think I see as much traffic or discussions on the sites either...but that might just be not having time to hang out as much.....

And I'm not sure but I don't think I see as much traffic or discussions on the sites either...but that might just be not having time to hang out as much.....

Yes, I think that's true, too. This used to be a place for folks to hang out while sharing electronic circuits and new electronic ideas, and sometimes some cooperative development, but that's all changed now because for the most part, people aren't inventing things. Instead, they're purchasing pre-built controllers and the only DIY part is mounting them inside a case, mounting pixels in Boscoyo strips and connecting cables. Except for Wayne's SS controllers and some SS-lookalikes, the SMD nature of electronics in general has made it more difficult to "solder your own." And ten years ago there was Vixen, and that was about it if you wanted a nice, low-cost (i.e. free) sequencer. Now, we have free, powerhouse software that rivals the finest light control software on the planet. Now, there's no reason to dig into some code and figure out how to make a parallel port drive a few strings of lights... and who's got a parallel port on their computer anyway?

And in the big box stores -- Menard's, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. there are lots of commercial wire frame and other stand-up props that you can pull out of a box, undo a couple twist ties from packing and bingo, it's ready to plug in.

It just seems like there's less creativity going on, so there's less of an interest in sharing.

Dang.

This thread has sparked a bit of a conversation here. The biggest question is why there aren't as many "experimenters". One answer is that we are not teaching our youth to get excited about anything that isn't "packaged". They can buy just about anything they want, so why learn how to hook this lead to this pin, and watch for that "magic smoke". As far as us old folks, there is the fact that all the "support" for doing all of this stuff is gone. I stopped at the local franchised "Radio Shack" the other day and didn't find one cabinet or rack with electronic stuff on it. All telephones, televisions, and the like. Nothing that you have to put together yourself. :(

There is one place that I know of in our area that does a great business, selling old parts. Whenever I make it over there (about 40 miles), I notice the clientele. Mostly all are as old, or older, than I am. Since I'm 63 - that isn't a good sign.

I stopped at the local franchised "Radio Shack" the other day and didn't find one cabinet or rack with electronic stuff on it. All telephones, televisions, and the like. Nothing that you have to put together yourself. :(

The Radio Shack in my small town went out of business a year or so ago.....the empty store is still in the mall..... I grieved for a month.... Not because it was that great but it was yet another long time tradition gone....

There was 1 other place where I could go and get a few basics....resistors etc....but I saw the other day that it is gone now too.....

Sears (think tools and appliances) left the a couple of years before that.....and now the K-Mart (not that I go very often due to their decline toward cheap over priced junk) is on the chopping block.... But when the 'competition' is gone the prices WILL go up for the consumer.....

Being a supporter of Dave's store and having built almost all of his boards (like the RenZilla and over 100 DirkCheap SSR's), I am extremely sad that the store is going away. I learned everything I know from this website and Dave's store. However, as I increased my knowledge I decided that I wanted to go to pixels. I still wanted to keep it DIY so I taught myself how to do SMD soldering so I could build several of RonP's boards. The problem is, as I see it, is that there isn't enough DIY in the way of using or controlling pixels.

I started off using zparticle's 16 channel controller. The next year I was running one of Dave's 96 channel RenZilla's (and also built a 204 channel system for a church using two RenZilla"s and add on boards). The next year I added an 8 universe pixel controller from RonP. I'm now up to 104 pixel universes and there isn't anything out there I can build from a kit that will handle the expansion that I want to do.

I'm not the type of guy that can design the boards, but I can sure as heck build them.

I will truly miss Dave's store, but will continue to provide monetary support to keep the DIYChristmas.org forum going!!

With sadness in heart,

Mark

Last edited:

We have all witnessed a very small slice of what is called 'evolution'.

Yes indeed, this is just the way of things! And if we could increase the working range of the DIGWDF Wireless Extension cord we could virtually eliminate ALL cabling. But alas, this is not to be...

Here's a picture of our very last product, the PiNard-8. It's the merging of a Pi Zero-W, a Renard-8 (or Renard-DMX), a zero-cross circuit and a 2A 5vdc power buck all in one compact package. Plug in a couple external SSRs and you've got a complete, autonomous, self-standing prop that is ready for AC or DC dimming.

pinard-8.jpg

man,

I'm 33 with a 1 year old. just got into the hobby last year, and fell in love with dirks store. I have been making and designing DC LED boards since I was in high school. I don't know how to feel now, I'm in the middle of adding 11,000 lights to my display(non pixel) on custom made frames and such. I really hope this is not dying, atleast i hope i wont let it die in me..??
after all the work i put into last years show i had that felling of my gosh that was a ton of work and i dont know if i want to do that again. until the neighbor kids came by and asked me if i was doing lights again.... Of course i am.
I hate to see this store go away, i hate that i did not get into this sooner. but i guess ill go on. until the traffic get too bad and people start complaining......

thanks for all your help DIGWDF

Re: PiNard!

Yes indeed, this is just the way of things! And if we could increase the working range of the DIGWDF Wireless Extension cord we could virtually eliminate ALL cabling. But alas, this is not to be...

Here's a picture of our very last product, the PiNard-8. It's the merging of a Pi Zero-W, a Renard-8 (or Renard-DMX), a zero-cross circuit and a 2A 5vdc power buck all in one compact package. Plug in a couple external SSRs and you've got a complete, autonomous, self-standing prop that is ready for AC or DC dimming.

View attachment 39981

A very limited quantity of bare boards and kits are now in the store for this gizmo.

Last edited:
man,

I'm 33 with a 1 year old. just got into the hobby last year, and fell in love with dirks store. I have been making and designing DC LED boards since I was in high school. I don't know how to feel now, I'm in the middle of adding 11,000 lights to my display(non pixel) on custom made frames and such. I really hope this is not dying, atleast i hope i wont let it die in me..??
after all the work i put into last years show i had that felling of my gosh that was a ton of work and i dont know if i want to do that again. until the neighbor kids came by and asked me if i was doing lights again.... Of course i am.
I hate to see this store go away, i hate that i did not get into this sooner. but i guess ill go on. until the traffic get too bad and people start complaining......

thanks for all your help DIGWDF

Don't despair -- after we close the store the Gerber files will be available for every product that we sell out of. And, I suspect I'll keep the store running for awhile as a sort of historical reference -- and maybe there will be a little stock leftover that someone will eventually buy.... but more than likely, we'll probably just dispose of the unsold boards and kits. It's possible that we might assemble any kits that are leftover and use them for our own show, who knows....

Just so you know, I'm not losing interest in the hobby -- I'm just getting on in years and don't want to run the store anymore. I'll be retiring at the end of the year as well and I want the freedom to do whatever the heck I want.

We're not restocking the store, but we needed a few more Renzilla controllers for ourselves so we had some boards made -- and a few for the DIGWDF Store because people expressed an interest... Renzilla -- at 96 channels is the largest single-board Renard or Renard-DMX controller on the planet -- and it can control external AC or DC SSRs, LSD strips (dumb RGB), smart RGB pixels and even servos for animatronics -- all on the same board at the same time -- and be wired, WiFi with the ESP module or wireless serial with XBee!

....so, for likely a very limited time, Renzilla main controller boards are back in the DIGWDF Store.... first-come, first-served, as always....

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=137

sample.JPG

Just a reminder -- the DIGWDF Store closes at the end of December. There's still some good stock left -- some kits and bare boards that nobody else on the planet makes... And no, we won't be having a pre-season sale in 2019... :mellow:

Countdown has begun...

Back