DIGWDF Store Announcement

Re: FourStick

Holy Sheepdip!! The Dirkmeister does it again!! Uhhh, I mean the engineers- yeah that's what I mean....

I can't control those guys...

Your stuff keeps tempting me out of retirement. I may have to buy some just so I can inhale the solder fumes while assembling another DIGWDF device.

HAH! Sometimes it's like opening a bag of potato chips...

It's the DIGWDF pixel dust that the engineers sprinkled in the previous box. Makes you buy but you don't know why.

So THAT's that funky stuff that's always laying around the lab....

IT is hard to give up on any of this new stuff when it makes things so much fun!

I want to try the new FourStick units for my 4 color LED Mini trees! Running a simple AC cord to each tree would be great for being able to change the locations around easily!

That's EXACTLY the kind of prop these goofy things are designed for!

When Phil invented the Renard controller concept he opened the door for a whole world of fun for a great many people. Then Ernie actually built one -- the very first one (he still uses it, too!)... then Greg and I fanned the wireless flames for a few years with the Ren-W and Komby adapters until Shelby came up with the ESPixelStick and Bill added Renard and DMX to Shelby's code while developing his RenardESP.... along the way about 8-10,000 DirkCheapSSRs found their way into users' hands and well, here we are: a bunch of us that think that while pixels are OK, we still have a yearn to use traditional Christmas lighting!

This hobby's a hoot, isn't it?!?!?!?

Last edited:
Re: FourStick!!!

As always... simply awesome !
Every now and then, the DIGWDF engineers take time out of their crazyglue squirtgun fights to make something new. This time it's a thin wireless controller they call the FourStick. It's essentially the mating of a OneStick to a DirkCheapSSR. With the ESP module attached, it'll measure about 7-1/2" long by 7/8" wide. It's designed to fit inside a PVC pipe.

Prototype boards are on order but preliminary testing indicates this little gizmo will work fine.

To demostrate that this thing will actually work, here's a brief proof-of-concept video of a OneStick driving a DirkCheapSSR; the DirkCheap has 120ohm resistors in place of the 680's. The FourStick uses exactly the same parts -- it's just on one PCB.

https://vimeo.com/237180249

The demo looks interesting. For some of us denser candidates for purchasers, and unfamiliar with the DirkCheapSSR, what are we seeing here?

I'm very interested in the possibility of a wired version of this. (We don't trust wireless in our situation(s)).

Re: DIGWDF Store Happenings

Hmmmmm...... a wired version negates the largest value feature that FourStick provides: convenience. Wired, one might as well just plug a normal SSR into the output of their SR32, Ren64 or an old Olson 595. The FourStick does not have RS485 capability, which is what one would need for a wired operation either with Renard or DMX, both serial protocols. Nevertheless, one could fashion some sort of wired adapter such as the MiniRen SISO board and use that to capture wired data and feed it to the pic on the FourStick.

Then again, here is a need waiting to be filled. The 4-stick provides just what some props need - 4 AC controlled channels. For those that have wifi issues (either too much in the area, or a desire not to use wifi) the ability to control 4 AC outlets is still there. Run an E1.31 cable and a power, and you are done.

Then again, here is a need waiting to be filled. The 4-stick provides just what some props need - 4 AC controlled channels. For those that have wifi issues (either too much in the area, or a desire not to use wifi) the ability to control 4 AC outlets is still there. Run an E1.31 cable and a power, and you are done.

Yes, and that's the beautiful part about DIY -- you don't need the "total solution" to be successful. Just gather the building blocks and connect them together!

What can I say? We can't keep this thing in stock!!! :freak:

Attachments

• fourstick_soldout.jpg
    fourstick_soldout.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 43

Dave,

You crack me up !

You must be the only vendor that is advertising the fact he DOESN'T have something available.

I'm very happy to see that these are flying off the shelves.
What can I say? We can't keep this thing in stock!!! :freak:

Dave,

You crack me up !

You must be the only vendor that is advertising the fact he DOESN'T have something available.

I'm very happy to see that these are flying off the shelves.

HAH! Yeah, it's all part of our goal to minimize profits, which, after looking at the books, seems to be working quite well...

Re: FourStick!!!

Now we're sold out of FourStick bare boards, too.... sheesh....

More boards on order... should be here around November 12th....

Just bare boards for the rest of this year. I don't want to stock up on all those parts this late in the year betting that sales will happen... it's already November and it leaves a very narrow window for sales if they happen at all because people are already putting up displays.

FourStick boards are back in the store. We've been able to lower the price on a single board by 16% and if you buy a set of 4 boards, it's only
$12.50!

This product is already getting rave reviews -- it's essentially a Wi-Fi version of the DirkCheapSSR!

"Fannnn-tastic!" as one of our local radio talk show hosts likes to say on his daily news program.

No complaints about the new lower price either. I may just buy an extra one to have on hand with that 4 for $12.50 offer. :thup2:

Yessirree, this is the totally exentiamous, incredibly fastodibious 4-channel AC SSR from DIGWDF that has an on-board ZC signal and 2-ounce copper to handle up to 10amps of juice!!! HOLY MOLY CAPTAIN MARVEL!!!

We're having trouble keeping up with demand on this puppy because it not only can handle the power, it's small, too! So every now and then we find some time to assemble a few more kits. You want em -- we got 'em!!!

zcssr_in_hand.JPG

If you're working with a Pi or an Arduino and are trying to dim lights, you'll want one of these because you'll need that ZC signal in order to make the proper calculations for synchronizing the dimming to the AC current's zero-cross pulse.

Even if you're not working with a Pi or Arduino but need a compact AC SSR that can really take a beating, this is for you!

It's yet another strange product from the DIGWDF labs...

This is the wireless adapter for the SSRez, SSRhc or SSRneon. It's designed to fit inside the popular TA-200 case, although you don't necessarily need the case for the adapter to work.

Instead of running a "group buy" the boys in the lab decided to put it in the store in a PRE-ORDER department. This way we can take care of things more automatically and nobody has to worry about details. The DIGWDF engineers hate details (although Hngnnorrgg once said "dee tales izzzz sumtimez verrrrreee tasteee!) but none of us really wants to know any more than that...

Here's the item in the store:

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=267

And a new wrinkle is that shipping for this pre-order is automatically NOT included in the price because we don't know how many kits you may order. So if you buy one or more kits, you also need to buy the pre-order shipping item, too:

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=268

And even though it says available in January 2018 only, I've opened it up for orders now....

Attachments

• ssrez_adapter.JPG
    ssrez_adapter.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ssrez_adapter_PCB.jpg
    ssrez_adapter_PCB.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 20
  • numberone.jpg
    numberone.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
This is the wireless adapter for the SSRez, SSRhc or SSRneon. It's designed to fit inside the popular TA-200 case, although you don't necessarily need the case for the adapter to work.

Instead of running a "group buy" the boys in the lab decided to put it in the store in a PRE-ORDER department. This way we can take care of things more automatically and nobody has to worry about details. The DIGWDF engineers hate details (although Hngnnorrgg once said "dee tales izzzz sumtimez verrrrreee tasteee!) but none of us really wants to know any more than that...

Here's the item in the store:

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=267

And a new wrinkle is that shipping for this pre-order is automatically NOT included in the price because we don't know how many kits you may order. So if you buy one or more kits, you also need to buy the pre-order shipping item, too:

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=268

And even though it says available in January 2018 only, I've opened it up for orders now....

Wow, that's great Dave!

Dirk,

Since there’s a PIC onboard could a second RJ45 jack be added to make this a WiFi Ren8 that could drive two SSRezs or (what I’m thinking of) drive 8 Dirk cheap strobes?

-joni-

Back