FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

I am also using 33ohm resistor packs. I think it was just the length of my run past the first window that was causing the issue. I've been running like this with no issues. The other issue I am having is that my audio device keeps dropping g every time the PB16 is powered down. I have to repeat the USB cable to the small cheapo fm transmitter then it's seen again in FPP. Is there something I am missing? I am not sure why this setting will not save

I am also using 33ohm resistor packs. I think it was just the length of my run past the first window that was causing the issue. I've been running like this with no issues. The other issue I am having is that my audio device keeps dropping g every time the PB16 is powered down. I have to repeat the USB cable to the small cheapo fm transmitter then it's seen again in FPP. Is there something I am missing? I am not sure why this setting will not save

I had similar issue I had to switch to a 3.3ohm to make it not flashing anymore. Does anyone know why?
Thanks

Using WS2811, once the data hits the first pixel, it should be all about the pixels. If you change the resistance to fix a problem downstream, that would indicate you likely don't have a clean signal to the first pixel but that doesn't make total sense if the other pixels are working fine.

My issue starts at the first pixel. I've traced back to the BBB. Sorry I'm putting together the BBB16V2.1. Not sure what could cause the signal issue but if the resistor calls for 33ohms and I'm going down to 3.3 for a clean signal what do you think could cause this issue?
When using 33ohms array I have to use the Famp right after the pigtail then it works fine.
Thanks

Last edited:
My issue starts at the first pixel. I've traced back to the BBB. Sorry I'm putting together the BBB16V2.1. Not sure what could cause the signal issue but if the resistor calls for 33ohms and I'm going down to 3.3 for a clean signal what do you think could cause this issue?
When using 33ohms array I have to use the Famp right after the pigtail then it works fine.
Thanks

After playing with different settings. I've learned that if I run the pixels at 5% brightness then there's no issue using the 33 ohm array. I've hooked up the digilent and also found that signal is consistent. Could this be power to the BBB instead?

What Steve123 wrote. How many ports are in use, how are the pixels powered, how many pixels on each port, etc. And if the pixels are powered externally, where is the power applied? I'm looking at an image of the v2.2 version board from github, just for reference in case some of my questions don't make sense for the boards that you're using.

vietnamezeboi17: And as far as the digilent goes, which device are you using, are you using analog or digital ports, and where the signal(s) being observed?

What Steve123 wrote. How many ports are in use, how are the pixels powered, how many pixels on each port, etc. And if the pixels are powered externally, where is the power applied? I'm looking at an image of the v2.2 version board from github, just for reference in case some of my questions don't make sense for the boards that you're using.

vietnamezeboi17: And as far as the digilent goes, which device are you using, are you using analog or digital ports, and where the signal(s) being observed?

I found the culprit.... It's the SN74HCT245N... I bought some on Aliexpress.
GYZ2208H - SN74HCT245N These guys flicker when you run > 20% brightness. I ordered a few at Digi-Keys and it resolved the issue. I did a 30ft and no flickering at 100%.

DigiKey: 23c3gh3ke4

Thanks for everyone's help!

I found the culprit.... It's the SN74HCT245N... I bought some on Aliexpress.
GYZ2208H - SN74HCT245N These guys flicker when you run > 20% brightness. I ordered a few at Digi-Keys and it resolved the issue. I did a 30ft and no flickering at 100%.

DigiKey: 23c3gh3ke4

Thanks for everyone's help!

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing what you found.
I do source most of my components from Ali but have not had the flickering issue you spoke of. Some things are just worth paying the price for, and as of late, just finding it is a challenge.

Question for @scooter_seh or anyone who knows.

I have 10 PB16's i built a few years ago and love them. I just ordered the diff expansion PCB and was going to also order the receiver out and am thinking of doing the SMD version w/ assembly to save me some headache. I have never ordered assembly/pick n' place before and have never used JCLPCB (normally use seeedstudio).

Anyway, on JCLPCB, when i upload the BOM and Position file, the site renders the board. The SMD resistors/caps are in the right place, but the rendering shows the SOIC chips rotated 90 degrees, the voltage regulator rotated 180 degrees, and the RJ45 jack is slightly offset. (See attached picture) Note: i removed most of the thru hole components as i have them already and enjoy soldering thru hole components.

I used the BOM-Receiver_Out.csv & POS-Receiver_Out.csv files on Github. Is it OK to proceed with the rendering on JCLPCB showing the parts rotated, or am i doing something wrong here? I haven't tried opening up in KiCAD yet just loaded the gerbers/bom/pos files straight to the website.

Thank you!

Here is the rendering:
Screenshot 2022-12-23 095055.png

Question for @scooter_seh or anyone who knows.

I have 10 PB16's i built a few years ago and love them. I just ordered the diff expansion PCB and was going to also order the receiver out and am thinking of doing the SMD version w/ assembly to save me some headache. I have never ordered assembly/pick n' place before and have never used JCLPCB (normally use seeedstudio).

Anyway, on JCLPCB, when i upload the BOM and Position file, the site renders the board. The SMD resistors/caps are in the right place, but the rendering shows the SOIC chips rotated 90 degrees, the voltage regulator rotated 180 degrees, and the RJ45 jack is slightly offset. (See attached picture) Note: i removed most of the thru hole components as i have them already and enjoy soldering thru hole components.

I used the BOM-Receiver_Out.csv & POS-Receiver_Out.csv files on Github. Is it OK to proceed with the rendering on JCLPCB showing the parts rotated, or am i doing something wrong here? I haven't tried opening up in KiCAD yet just loaded the gerbers/bom/pos files straight to the website.

Thank you!

Hi all,

I recently discovered this project (and just registered on the forum) and I'm really keen to build some BBB 16v2 boards in time for Christmas 2023. I can find stock of all the parts needed apart from the EEPROM - from Digikey, Mouser, or anywhere else... best lead time so far is Q3 2023. Does anyone here know of a compatible alternative that I can order from stock?

Cheers,

Joel.

The EEPROM file is 4KB so any EEPROM 4KB or bigger should work. "24LC32A-I/P-ND" is I found doing a quick search. I haven't tested them, so order at your own risk.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi all,

I recently discovered this project (and just registered on the forum) and I'm really keen to build some BBB 16v2 boards in time for Christmas 2023. I can find stock of all the parts needed apart from the EEPROM - from Digikey, Mouser, or anywhere else... best lead time so far is Q3 2023. Does anyone here know of a compatible alternative that I can order from stock?

Cheers,

Joel.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for these potential alternatives - I will use DIP sockets on the board to allow for some trial and error :thup2:

Ill report back here in a little while once I have finished the build as it may be useful to others.

I can't resist a project like this!

Joel.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joel.

Hey Joel, one thing to keep in mind as well, is that in the current FPP code, eeproms are limited to 32k. Scott is 100% right on the current 4k, not sure if FPP will ever need more just wanted to throw out there it could be a possibility that the eeprom currently could in theory use 32k. However if you use the sockets you can trial and error, and worse case if you go smaller and in future need more you could easily swap them in a socket.

Good Luck, Jerry G

Just curious if something lie this could be used for the BBB16 boards? I'm sure antenna's could be upgraded, my main concern is if the board is
capable of running the controller?

Good afternoon everyone. I have looked through the thread, but have not found what I was looking for. I have built a few differential receivers and was wondering if anyone was aware of a STL file for a meanwell/ differential receiver mount. I found them for the falcon, but it doesn't appear the mounting holes are in the same spot
Thanks

Back