Linux Ubuntu 9.04 with Vixen

Aurbo99

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my tests so far for trying to get Vixen to run under Linux.

I'm testing the WINE route at this point as its the most painless method I know of at this time.

Use this option for easy installation of .NET 2.0 Framework. Winetricks will take care of all needed installation prerequisites and work around some problems.

$ wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
$ sh winetricks corefonts dotnet20

Vixen appears to work fine so far as I created a typical sequence.

Only snag found so are is COM PORTS.. they are not detected at this point.

More to follow.

Thanks for your work on this and keep us updated on how it's coming along Steve - I'm definitely interested in running Vixen in Linux!

I am also interested in running vixen on a linux machine, it would be nice to have a much more reliable OS installed on the machine.

Next step- COM PORTS and outputs.

While I am only interested in Serial and Com for my Ren's and Grinch, I'll leave it up to others to assist with settings for other plugins.

Adjustable preview -WORKS but have not added an image yet
Generic Serial -WORKS but no output confirmation yet.
Renard (modified) -NO WORKING, cannot select ports and other options in its setup, Could be my font packages.

LPT for Grinch.. not tested yet

No issues with sound yet.. my default AC97 linux version driver handles the music well, as well with my Transmitter audio

Last edited:
Does NOT like cut and paste in the sequence creation routine.

More on this later.. need to get some of the other stuff done first

This so far shows some promise for the Linux crowd

Last edited:
Well Im excited I hope you get this working I will need to try this myself again very soon,

Didnt get there last year.

Well it appears to work on a basic level.

I can create, edit and play back sequences with Adjustable Preview

The main hang up is the plugins.
Some work (Generic Serial, Grinch works fine)
Some dont (Renard Modified, cannot select com port and a few other setup selctables.)

I've not explored ALL the available Vixen commands or options, but so far it works.

Its now time to plug in a Ren64 and see if this tranfers to the real world.

If it does, perhaps a few sequences from various members from last year or earlier PM's to me to see what issues might arise.

I'm especially interested in non-flattened sequences that will require additional profiles.

Back to the shelf for this one for a few more days.. more drywalling to complete.

This is very exciting to me because when I upgraded my old 98SE system to Vix 2.1 from 2.0 the sound quit working. It still works with 2.0 and any other sound apps but not v2.1. I decided it might be time to try U9.04 (I am downloading 9.1 as I write this) and try a dual boot setup. Unfortunately during the install U9.04 had a disc read problem after the new partition was created. Also I had GoBack on this machine and it would not let me boot after that because the MBR had changed. I got instructions from Symantec and others on disabling GoBack but I still cannot boot. When I run U9.04 from CD I can see all my W98 files so they are at least intact. I am using U9.04 from CD to move what I need to a USB HD and then I will probably just make this a U9.1 machine. It is the machine I used last year for my light display and it was pretty intermittent with W98 so Ubuntu will be a nice change (I hope).

Thanks for this great effort!

Wow isn't this interesting....Especially since I was mowed down about this when I talked about it back a few months ago...I guess a few people are eating crow now...Welcome aboard the ubuntu wagon guys...Also try out the kde desktop with all exceptions..It takes away alot of bugs that 9.04 jaackalope came with...Only bug left to resolve is an updating issue but that will be solved shortly..So thanks for the work with vixen and linux...Congrats and keep me posted..

I've been trying to convince my wife that Linux is better for years. I bought a netbook for her birthday (she wanted one) and told her Windows just wouldn't run on it. After a couple of distributions, I found a low-overhead version of Ubuntu that she likes and haven't looked back.

To get the COM ports working under WINE you have to link the appropriate device under your dosdevices directory:

Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

The device may be different for your machine.

To get the COM ports working under WINE you have to link the appropriate device under your dosdevices directory:

Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
The device may be different for your machine.

Yep, I was missing the tilde symbol in my command line.

Still a few issues with the various plugins not showing and/or allowing a selection of ports and protocols.

I'll be able to test this tomorrow after my shift is over.

I've begun a complete reformat of my test system with Ubuntu and will document a step by step How-To with all the addons needed.

More to follow.

I've begun a complete reformat of my test system with Ubuntu and will document a step by step How-To with all the addons needed.

More to follow.

You are, without doubt, one of the most energetic persons I've ever met. Kudos to you!

Ok, here is what I got after doing a fresh install of wine, dotnetfx.exe, and Vixen 2.5.0.8.

Code:
$sh winetricks corefonts
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"
err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v2.0.50727\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000142
Cannot find cabextract.  Please install it (e.g. 'sudo apt-get install cabextract' or 'sudo yum install cabextract').

Now, the MSVCR80.dll is already in my ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 folder. So, I installed cabextract as instructed and ran it again.

This time, it downloaded fonts and appeared to run fine. Seemed to take forever (P3 900Mhz) but eventually finished.

Running Vixen.exe came back with an error saying it was trying to "An application has made and attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly." Clicking OK gives "C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded"

I'll rerun the winetricks with dotnet (even though I installed it manually) and report back, in case my install is bad for some reason.

Back