Linux Ubuntu 9.04 with Vixen

I tried Googling for 'endiswrapper' -- it looks to me that this is just a typo for 'ndiswrapper'

Regarding installing ndiswrapper... I tried
frank@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
[sudo] password for frank:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper
frank@ubuntu:~$ ^C
frank@ubuntu:~$
However, the Synaptic Package Manager does list

ndisgtk
ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

but not ndiswrapper itself.

Trying to install these via Synaptic resulted in a request for the Ubuntu install CD-ROM. I needed to tell Synaptic not to install from the CDROM to avoid that.

My interpretation is that ndiswrapper must therefore be included in the Ubuntu installation already.

Once the above 3 utils are installed, it all looks to be to do with WiFi Network drivers ???? I don't see the relevance to Vixen.

A new release of Wine (v1.2) became available during the last week. However. I can't get Vixen running on it or the previous version as suggested waaaay back...

Use this option for easy installation of .NET 2.0 Framework. Winetricks will take care of all needed installation prerequisites and work around some problems.

$ wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
$ sh winetricks corefonts dotnet20

Vixen appears to work fine so far as I created a typical sequence.

I tried winetricks as above... it does seem to be important to be in your ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/ directory when you run it. And that you DON'T run it via sudo. If not, it can't find the necessary directories. It's also important to get the very latest version of winetricks... VERSION=20100424 seems to work, whereas the earlier one I tried didn't install dotnetfx20.

But even then, Vixen wouldn't run... the splash screen comes up, then it pops up an error window that says "Error when loading UI plugin from LedTriksUI: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". I told it to Continue anyway, and then it wanted to update itself. Fine... it downloaded v2.1.4.0 (perhaps??? it certainly deleted Vixen.exe), and wanted to restart, but instead up came another error popup (File not found). This time clicking Continue didn't do anything :( Telling it not to update itself also didn't help :(

Last edited:
At least it's not just me having the same problem. I am running the 64 bit version of 9.10 that can be a little tricky at times. Is anybody having the problems loading nidwrapper also running 64 bit?

im running a 32bit system, did'nt see the reason to go 64bit
running ubuntu beats winblows hands down.

just installed the ndis stuff from the installer.

now hows is this going to get vixen working on ubuntu?

Last edited:
OK, first the good news...

I have Vixen running with Wine.

The bad news...

1. What I have working is Vixen 2.5.0.0, which is (I guess) a development rather than stable version. But this is probably good news, since they expect to release Vixen 2.5 before next Xmas.

2. I started trying installing more and more likely suspects through winetricks. I can't remember which one(s) got everything working. FWIW, below is the output from that last winetricks run. Of course, it may be that one of the earlier winetricks runs may have installed something that was also necessary for Vixen.

Executing wget -O WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/downl...2-1957be2f24e1/WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe
--2010-04-25 20:29:30-- http://download.microsoft.com/downl...2-1957be2f24e1/WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe
Resolving download.microsoft.com... 203.109.252.145, 203.109.252.138
Connecting to download.microsoft.com|203.109.252.145|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 872816 (852K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe'

100%[======================================>] 872,816 163K/s in 6.2s

2010-04-25 20:29:37 (137 KB/s) - `WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe' saved [872816/872816]

Executing wine /home/frank/.winetrickscache/WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe /extract:c:\winetrickstmp /q
fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "c:\\winetrickstmp\\" 00000000
Executing cp /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/asms/10/msft/windows/gdiplus/gdiplus.dll /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/
Using native override for following DLLs: gdiplus
Executing early_wine regedit c:\winetrickstmp\override-dll.reg
Install of gdiplus done
Install of hosts done
Executing wget -O InstMsiA.exe -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/W9XMe/EN-US/InstMsiA.exe
--2010-04-25 20:29:40-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/W9XMe/EN-US/InstMsiA.exe
Resolving download.microsoft.com... 203.109.252.138, 203.109.252.145
Connecting to download.microsoft.com|203.109.252.138|:80... connected.
Length: 1709160 (1.6M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `InstMsiA.exe'

100%[======================================>] 1,709,160 175K/s in 10s

2010-04-25 20:29:51 (166 KB/s) - `InstMsiA.exe' saved [1709160/1709160]

Setting Windows version to win98
Executing early_wine regedit c:\winetrickstmp\set-winver.reg
Executing wine /home/frank/.winetrickscache/InstMSIA.exe
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
Failed to rename /home/frank/.local/share/mime/audio/x-ogg.xml.new as /home/frank/.local/share/mime/audio/x-ogg.xml , errno: 2

fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:imagehlp:BindImageEx (0, "C:\\windows\\system32\\msisip.dll", "C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32", (null), (nil)): stub
fixme:imagehlp:BindImageEx (0, "C:\\windows\\system32\\msihnd.dll", "C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32", (null), (nil)): stub
fixme:imagehlp:BindImageEx (0, "C:\\windows\\system32\\msiexec.exe", "C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32", (null), (nil)): stub
fixme:imagehlp:BindImageEx (0, "C:\\windows\\system32\\msi.dll", "C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32\\;C:\\windows\\system32", (null), (nil)): stub
Using native,builtin override for following DLLs: msi msiexec.exe
Clearing Windows version back to default
Executing early_wine regedit c:\winetrickstmp\unset-winver.reg
Install of msi2 done
Executing wget -O MSMASK32.CAB -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/MSMASK32.CAB
--2010-04-25 20:29:58-- http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/MSMASK32.CAB
Resolving activex.microsoft.com... 65.55.13.243
Connecting to activex.microsoft.com|65.55.13.243|:80... connected.
Length: 89928 (88K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `MSMASK32.CAB'

100%[======================================>] 89,928 71.3K/s in 1.2s

2010-04-25 20:30:00 (71.3 KB/s) - `MSMASK32.CAB' saved [89928/89928]

Executing /usr/bin/cabextract --directory=/home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp /home/frank/.winetrickscache/MSMASK32.CAB
/home/frank/.winetrickscache/MSMASK32.CAB: WARNING; possible 5952 extra bytes at end of file.
Extracting cabinet: /home/frank/.winetrickscache/MSMASK32.CAB
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msmask32.ocx
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msmask32.inf

All done, no errors.
Executing cp -f /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msmask32.ocx /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/msmask32.ocx
Executing wine regsvr32 msmask32.ocx
Successfully registered DLL msmask32.ocx
Install of msmask done
Executing wget -O paintnt.exe -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe
--2010-04-25 20:30:00-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe
Length: 1206048 (1.1M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `paintnt.exe'

100%[======================================>] 1,206,048 160K/s in 10s

2010-04-25 20:30:12 (116 KB/s) - `paintnt.exe' saved [1206048/1206048]

Executing /usr/bin/unzip /home/frank/.winetrickscache/paintnt.exe -d /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
Archive: /home/frank/.winetrickscache/paintnt.exe
inflating: /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/MSPAINT.EXE
inflating: /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/MFC42.DLL
inflating: /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/MFC42U.DLL
inflating: /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/MSVCRT.DLL
inflating: /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/OLEPRO32.DLL
inflating: /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/README.TXT
------------------------------------------------------
Paint is now installed to /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/MSPAINT.EXE
Install of mspaint done
Executing wget -O sct10en.exe -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/a/d2a7430c-6d5b-48e9-96c4-3c751be7bffe/sct10en.exe
--2010-04-25 20:30:17-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/a/d2a7430c-6d5b-48e9-96c4-3c751be7bffe/sct10en.exe
Length: 201712 (197K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `sct10en.exe'

100%[======================================>] 201,712 173K/s in 1.1s

2010-04-25 20:30:19 (173 KB/s) - `sct10en.exe' saved [201712/201712]

Executing /usr/bin/cabextract --directory=/home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp /home/frank/.winetrickscache/sct10en.exe
Extracting cabinet: /home/frank/.winetrickscache/sct10en.exe
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/advpack.dll
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msscript.cnt
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msscript.hlp
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msscript.ocx
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/sct10en.inf
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/w95inf16.dll
extracting /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/w95inf32.dll

All done, no errors.
Executing cp -f /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/msscript.ocx /home/frank/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
Executing wine regsvr32 msscript.ocx
Successfully registered DLL msscript.ocx
Install of msscript done
Executing wget -O msxml3.msi -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/8/888f34b7-4f54-4f06-8dac-fa29b19f33dd/msxml3.msi
--2010-04-25 20:30:20-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/8/888f34b7-4f54-4f06-8dac-fa29b19f33dd/msxml3.msi
Length: 1070592 (1.0M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `msxml3.msi'

100%[======================================>] 1,070,592 149K/s in 7.5s

2010-04-25 20:30:29 (139 KB/s) - `msxml3.msi' saved [1070592/1070592]

Using native,builtin override for following DLLs: msxml3
Executing wine msiexec /i /home/frank/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi
Note: command 'wine msiexec /i /home/frank/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi' returned status 103. Aborting.
frank@ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c$

Maybe someone else can work through the winetricks list methodically, trying each package one by one to try to identify which one is the right one.

Alternatively, someone in a hurry could try telling winetricks to install *all* the packages and it might work. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I think *I* have it working. :cool: :)

Oh, and for slovanredneck's information, I'm running a pre 32-bit system. I'm pretty sure the whole ndiswrapper thing was (for me) just a total red herring.

version 2.5.0.8 is what i seem to have working,
its says there's a problem with ledtricks when loading, but that wont bother me.
i still have'nt tryed to get the usb-rs485 working with it yet, but thats my next challange,
i dont mind if it semi works on my ubuntu machine so long as i can edit my sequances an copy them over to the vixen laptop, i'll be happy

but i now have less errors since i installed that ndis* from the gui installer

its says there's a problem with ledtricks when loading, but that wont bother me.

Sorry, yes, it does that for me too. And it's also no problem for me. And I've also moved to 2.5.0.8, for no particular reason other than later releases are usually better than earlier ones.

Now, to start learning how to drive Vixen.... and assemble my Renard boards, and connect some lights to them. Dunno if I can get it all done by Xmas. lol

are you able to see any serial ports in vixen
cause im unable too.

im using a usb to rs485 converter, but that should'nt make a differance.
i just think ubuntu cant find any serial ports full stop

i'll keep hacking away at it. i might find something

i can see the serial port when i go into a terminal
an type
dmesg | grep tty

Edit:- did more research

an wine does'nt recolonise serial ports like windows normally does

this is how i got my usb serial port id'ed in windows

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

but sadly vixen couldn't find it..

so im thinking i might need more research again..
tipical windows, even on linux it still causes problems..lol

Last edited:
I haven't yet started doing anything inside Vixen, so don't know about the serial issue. Will let you know when I get to that.

Code:
 ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

thats a lower case L in starting off the command in case some didnt know.

I mentioned earlier that some Vixen plugins wont see the com ports in thier setup.

No idea why that is yet.

I'm slowly approaching my catch-up point where I can begin to move forward with my projects, etc..

Hope to be back to par by middle of next month.

Glad to see this project has move forward!

I haven't tried it under Ubuntu yet but have any of you Ubuntu purists tried using VMware Player to run Vixen? You can install Windows XP on the virtual machine (VM), unless that would be to much like using a real windows computer for you.(no offence meant) You will need a product key which you could get from your current show computer, even if it's frowned upon by microsoft I don't think they will take action.

VMware Player allows you to add serial and parallel ports to the VM which I believe connects the VM to your real ports but I have not done any tests on this aspect yet.

Once you download ndiswrapper and install I simply went and got .net and it installed perfectly from the microsoft website...Once that was installed I then installed vixen without issues...ndiswrapper simply allows windows components to be installed without issues and set up as it sets itself up..Unlike wine (in my experence)...It's why I posted he opion...Some issues hae been reported with ndiswappe and other programs like it (including wine) do no like certain versions of .net and issues do result...Older copies o .net do work.A simple solution which is what I used was to install a copy of ubuntu and windows on the same drive making it a dual boot system..Get your .net version,vixen and all working under windows.Then install ubuntu on the same drive.Once that is done issues you have with ubuntu will disappear completely and vixen will work flawlessly as it has for me for months.With niswrapper and wine the files for windows are already there it simply uses which ones it needs to make programs from windows work..
Hope this clears up the confusion..
Joe..

was you able to see any comm ports tho in vixen when using the renard protocol??

Cause thats the problem i only have

Once you download ndiswrapper and install I simply went and got .net and it installed perfectly from the microsoft website...Once that was installed I then installed vixen without issues...ndiswrapper simply allows windows components to be installed without issues and set up as it sets itself up..Unlike wine (in my experience)...It's why I posted he opion...Some issues hae been reported with ndiswappe and other programs like it (including wine) do no like certain versions of .net and issues do result...Older copies o .net do work.A simple solution which is what I used was to install a copy of ubuntu and windows on the same drive making it a dual boot system..Get your .net version,vixen and all working under windows.Then install ubuntu on the same drive.Once that is done issues you have with ubuntu will disappear completely and vixen will work flawlessly as it has for me for months.With niswrapper and wine the files for windows are already there it simply uses which ones it needs to make programs from windows work..
Hope this clears up the confusion..
Joe..

I'm able to see anything I want...I think it is cause of the dual boot system I'm using...It seems to avoided alot of issues others are having...

was you able to see any comm ports tho in vixen when using the renard protocol??

Cause thats the problem i only have

If memory serves me well today.. check your xml (.vix) file of the sequence you want run with Renard.. I seem to recall that the settings are saved there if you already ran it under windows.

If you leave it be, it should play. however if you need to change com ports for the renard, try editing your .vix file to the new com port as well.

Just a thought..

I'm just hooking up my USB-connected weather station to my Ubuntu PC (now running Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx and Wine 1.2), and ran across this page

http://blog.mypapit.net/2008/05/how-to-use-usb-serial-port-converter-in-ubuntu.html

which hopefully be of some use in getting Vixen to work...

I also got pointed to this... I had to install 'git-core' first to make it work.
Code:
git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git ~/wine-git
cd ~/wine-git

sudo apt-get build-dep wine
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev

git branch usb-1.1.28 wine-1.1.28
git checkout usb-1.1.28
wget ftp://ftp.etersoft.ru/pub/people/amorozov/usb/1.1.28/0001-Add-support-of-native-Windows-drivers-for-USB-tokens.txt
wget ftp://ftp.etersoft.ru/pub/people/amorozov/usb/1.1.28/0002-Re-generate-some-files.txt
git am 0001-Add-support-of-native-Windows-drivers-for-USB-tokens.txt 0002-Re-generate-some-files.txt
./tools/make_makefiles
./configure
make depend
make
make install
NB: That first step downloads around 120MB!!! And the second one pulls down another 265MB.

Last edited:
For those that missed my post in another thread, I'll boast here as well :rolleyes:

I've just been playing my Renard 24 board off my Ubuntu Linux system, in time to music. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

What I've done is to forget about Wine and Vixen altogether... instead, I've written a small driver program for ALSA, which is kind of a MIDI-switching server in Linux. And then I've used RoseGarden (any MIDI editor/sequencer will do) to copy the drum track from a .MID file. I moved the 'note' values down to notes 0,1, etc to correspond to my light channels 1, 2, etc, and use the 'velocity' value to represent brightness.

Over the next couple of days, I'll tidy up the code and write up how to make it all work, but, for those who can't wait, the C source for the driver is attached.

Compile it, run it in the background, open up RoseGarden and you should find "Renard Lights" in the "Manage MIDI Devices" menu.

I've been working on a stand-alone player/scheduler called xLights that will be capable of playing LOR and Vixen files natively on Windows, Mac, and Linux environments. It will be capable of driving LOR, DMX, and Renard networks. No plugins are required. You just tell it to play your LOR sequence over a Renard network and it will do it. Or Vixen sequence over an LOR network, or any other combination.

It is an open-source project hosted on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlights/

Should be ready later this summer.

Matt Brown

I looked on source forge and didn't find any files.

Something break. Need more time? Its August...only a few more days till the Season!

Arvin

Back