Linux Ubuntu 9.04 with Vixen

It appears you missed the final command for that..

$ sh winetricks corefonts dotnet20

dont forget to run your updater to install any patches.

I've added a new partition on my HD and I am installing Karmic tonight (9.10) and will repeat the process

Karmic is a bit glitchy so I'm not eager to completely overwrite Jaunty at this point.

I left the dotnet20 off the end because I had already installed it manually. But, after re-running the command with the dotnet20, it appears to be working fine. During the installation of dotnet20, it appeared to have failed and wanted to rollback, but the rollback command isn't supported. Vixen is up and running right now and I'm in the middle of putting together a test sequence. When I have time (seem to only play with this right before bed), I will add the 8-chan 595 plugin and test it with my Grinch.

See if you encounter any grief with cut and paste (Ctrl C and Ctrl V) commands as well as the Adjustable Preview.

Renard (modified) plugin seems happy and I'm watching a sequence fire off with no issues so far.

Generic Serial work too.

Sound may be an issue for a few.. ALSA drivers seem to be flakey

Copy/Paste seem to be working fine. Adjustable preview seems to be working fine as well.

But, what doesn't work.. is using the arrow keys when sequencing. Not only can I not move around, but you can't highlight an section, and move around with that section. When you try to hit left or right, it's trying to resize the channel list column size.

Oh.. but if you click into the channel list column, it releases that focus, and the arrow keys work. So, if you highlight a section, click in the channel list column, and then hit the arrow keys, you can move your selection around as it should.

Edit: Maybe I spoke to soon. I was just changing the channel properties (colors) and it appears to have locked up.. 100% cpu till it crashed. I reloaded, changed the colors fine.. saved, started copy/pasting, and it locked/crashed again. So.. it works.. but you have to save often. ;)

I get a lot of these:
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 9 not supported yet

and when it crashed, it ended with this:
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\windows\\PCHealth\\ErrorRep\\QSignoff" 1 -2147483644 (nil) (nil) 0x13af04 (nil)
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} not registered
err:eek:le:create_server class {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} not registered
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} could be created for context 0x5

Edit some more: Well, I loaded the sequence and set it to loop.. hit the run.. and watched what would happen. Now, on this laptop (again, 900Mhz with 512MB RAM) it is blatantly lagging in the preview. It's still running as I type this without crashing, but the CPU is at 100%.. so I'm guessing it's a horsepower issue for me. Heck, Xorg keeps my machine running at 2 - 11% CPU utilisation under normal load.

Oh.. it doesn't refresh the background window, so I can't seem to stop the sequence now that my browser has been in front of it. When I minimize, I get the preview updating and that's it. :/

Last edited:
I'm a tad curious why your using Wine?

Vixen uses .NET so it should run fine in Mono.
That gives you the benefit of running it without API emulation, and you can debug it.

Note: I havent looked at Vixen at all yet. I could be missing something.

I tried using mono but Vixen was not playing along as it was looking for a specific .Net builds before it would run.

I'll try it again with just Mono when I format the Ubuntu machine again in a few days,

I hate to bump old threads but I hope an exception can be made here.

Has any progress been made on getting Vixen to run on Ubuntu?

the way i do it is running vixen off a windows laptop, an remote vnc to it from my ubunto box.
otherwise i had too many different errors with ubuntu an windows .NET that vixen needs installed to run.

I hate to bump old threads but I hope an exception can be made here.

Has any progress been made on getting Vixen to run on Ubuntu?

All I used was end disk wrapper and it worked perfectly...No errors..I upgraded to Kosmic Koloha and I'm awaiting the new release as well which goes live at midnight on the 29th of april..So far for me end disk wrapper allowes me to run anything that normally runs under windows...Alot like wine but not nearly as hard to configure and is more reliable..

Last edited:
the way i do it is running vixen off a windows laptop, an remote vnc to it from my ubunto box.
otherwise i had too many different errors with ubuntu an windows .NET that vixen needs installed to run.

That would work fine if you just prefer to use a linux (or mac for that point) desktop instead of windows but what I am looking for is a way to run Vixen on linux so it can be more easily controlled by Zone Minder to run a security sequence. Not that I should need it since my display sits back from the road half a mile and it will probably only be for family and friends but I want to try it anyway.

All I used was end disk wrapper and it worked perfectly...No errors..I upgraded to Kosmic Koloha and I'm awaiting the new release as well which goes live at midnight on the 29th of april..So far for me end disk wrapper allowes me to run anything that normally runs under windows...Alot like wine but not nearly as hard to configure and is more reliable..

Can you elaborate on "end disk wrapper" and "Kosmic Koloha" please? I can't find anything quickly online. Is there a website for end disk wrapper? I was not able to find it in the repository on the Ubuntu pc I checked.

otherwise everyone else that runs ubuntu or a mac, i have noticed they dont use vixen.
instead there using DMX software instead. (thinking i might travel that road in a yr or 2)

if you get it going an working well, send me a PM, as i would love to stop using windows.

hmm, I dunno, it looks like it is for running windows device drivers on linux according to the wiki but if it can also run applications I will try it. Would be nice to hear what Warlock has to say.

Can you elaborate on ""Kosmic Koloha" please?

I'm guessing he means Karmic Koala, which is the version name for Ubuntu 9.10, which is the current release. Lucid Lynx is in beta testing. http://releases.ubuntu.com/

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, but I now have 9.10 running nicely. I did have some difficulties with the previous version Wine on it, but the current version seems good.

So far, I've only installed stuff in Wine using an installer. But if someone can give me a cookbook on how to do it, I'll try getting Vixen running.

Last edited:
Kosmic Koloha is the version of ubuntu I'm using..endiskwrapper can easily be found by going to the terminal and typing (with an online machine with ubuntu) sudo apt-get install endiskwrapper

it has worked flawlessly for me for months...

also you can find it by typing in the terminal
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper

Last edited:
Kosmic Koloha is the version of ubuntu I'm using
Oh you mean Karmic Koala... I almost thought you meant your Ubuntu version but was unaware of one by that exact name.

..endiskwrapper can easily be found by going to the terminal and typing (with an online machine with ubuntu) sudo apt-get install endiskwrapper

it has worked flawlessly for me for months...

also you can find it by typing in the terminal
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper can be found via sourceforge.net

enddiskwrapper can be found via www.x64bitdownload.com/64-bit-high-end-disk-solutions-version-5-downloads-350-s.html which is the 64 bit version

So ndiswrapper and endiskwrapper are two different applications? I will need to try to install them.

By the way, I could not find enddiskwrapper on the page you linked to.

For te one you can't find I had to google it...The other one (which is better and the 32 bit version) simply use the line code
sudo apt-get install endiswrapper

in the terminal command line type in sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper then hit enter or return and it will find them as long as you are connected to the internet...It has to download the respository for it to get the program..It will download it and install it...

If you still have issues let me know and I'll gladly help....You can drop me an email for a faster reply at Teknokolor_Dreamer@hotmail.com use the subject ubuntu endiswrapper so I know it is not spam..
Joe...

Back