Linux Ubuntu 9.04 with Vixen

I looked on source forge and didn't find any files.

Something break. Need more time? Its August...only a few more days till the Season!

Arvin

You can check the files out using SVN. I've successfully compiled on Linux Mint, and I saw a post from someone else who had successfully downloaded and compiled on another Linux flavor. I've been updating documentation and doing final testing. Windows binaries should be released very soon.

Matt

I had a wierd thing when I got Vixen to start on Ubuntu (version 9 something) It would throw an exception ("Not Implemented") and the toolbar was just a box with a large red X across this. I've seen this in my development environment at work when a user control wouldn't load. The text of the exception is listing a bunch of GDI+ commands, if that helps.

I had a wierd thing when I got Vixen to start on Ubuntu (version 9 something) It would throw an exception ("Not Implemented") and the toolbar was just a box with a large red X across this. I've seen this in my development environment at work when a user control wouldn't load. The text of the exception is listing a bunch of GDI+ commands, if that helps.

Thats about as far as I got with it as well. Havent attempted again with later versions.

Wombat

Upgraded the box to Ubuntu v10.something. My wife got Vixen to run, yay! However, I have my parallel cable plugged in, selected Basic Parallel as the output. This is just to test to make sure it all works. I made a sequence of just lighting each light once and went to run. I get this error: "(Router) An output plugin caused the following exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". I checked the bios and the parallel port is set to address 0x378 like it should be (I think that's right, not at that box atm). I have no clue what the "router" might be or why it's freaking out.

Any help would be appreciated, I can provide whatever info you might need...

Please help :-O

Upgraded the box to Ubuntu v10.something. My wife got Vixen to run, yay! However, I have my parallel cable plugged in, selected Basic Parallel as the output. This is just to test to make sure it all works. I made a sequence of just lighting each light once and went to run. I get this error: "(Router) An output plugin caused the following exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". I checked the bios and the parallel port is set to address 0x378 like it should be (I think that's right, not at that box atm). I have no clue what the "router" might be or why it's freaking out.

Any help would be appreciated, I can provide whatever info you might need...

Please help :-O

Hello Rob,

This has been an on-going issue with getting Vixen to work in Linux. I too have desired to get Vixen running in there so I can 'liberate' myself from MS's 'pain in the glass' OS.

At any rate, you CAN get Vixen to run using Wine...but therein lies the problem. Wine has trouble communicating to the serial ports within Linux. The issue is not with Linux, nor Vixen, but Wine. So the developers of Wine have to fix the issue first. Once Wine can establish the connection to the com ports then Vixen 'should' work.

Supposedly there are ways to work around the problem but I am still researching them myself.

Sorry to not offer any good news in regards to the issue, but that is what the problem is currently with getting Vixen to run in Linux.

Geo

Supposedly there are ways to work around the problem but I am still researching them myself.

Sorry to not offer any good news in regards to the issue, but that is what the problem is currently with getting Vixen to run in Linux.

A few years ago I had to make a symbolic link in the ~/.wine/dosdevices/ directory for serial communication to work when running my GPS software. Create a link to the linux device in that directory and name it "comX" where X is a number. For example, for my GPS, I used "ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com3". See if that works.

I got an older PC from work that has the ports I needed and got Windows XP installed, so I'm good now. Thanks for all the support.

So far, I've got Vixen running on Ubuntu running under a VM on a Mac *lol*
I've assigned a sound file just for kicks and so far, it's working.. I haven't followed the instructions on hooking up an arduino (everything I do is through generic serial), so this should prove interesting.

Thanks for whoever on this site wrote up the instructions of running Wine/Winetricks/Ubuntu..

Back