new P10 Matrix Makers by Boscoyo Studio

Ok, I'm almost done. still making a few more tweaks and tunes. I teased with mounting options earlier and I can now show you a few options. As many of you know I like off the shelf solutions that can be integrated into my designs. I love 1/2" EMT It is an underrated and cheap material to work with. So I'm using it to reinforce the panels if you feel it is necessary. You can purchase EMT clamps that have a hole at the base to be fastened to the Matrix Maker Connectors. Then a segment of 1/2" EMT is installed across the panel and you are done.

F8061994-9BAA-428A-A44E-E5AA44F36373_zps4ghedyoj.jpg

5EE78C52-8424-4252-BC94-E0FFC47B8902_zpsdbs6ilvo.jpg

Then there was a request to have an option to mount the matrix into a frame. Back to the hardware store and pick up these angles and they bolt right on to flush out with the edge.
91C1AFF6-A07C-4270-A74E-40A5C687DDA3_zps1o7xcaet.jpg

I will list those part numbers from Lowe's. The EMT clamps are really generic and pretty much any will work. The Angles are made by Stanley and come in a 4 pack. I will stock them as well as 1/2" long 1/4" bolts, nuts, and washers if you guys want those too. I do have ribbon cable on the way from a US based distributor so they will be here soon and you can get what ever length cable you need.

Thanks,
James

When I made my P10 connectors from wood (not as nice) the ones on the edge I made extend 3/8" past the edge of panel. This allowed me to cut/route a grove in the wood enclosure to mount the whole assembly solidly minimizing the need for other hardware. It would be nice to have an option to have those connecting pieces extend to fit in a slot in enclosure. See photo.

Attachments

• 20150914_111935.jpg
    20150914_111935.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 97
Do you have a feel for how big of a matrix these brackets will handle. I see that you can put a hang point bracket between each pair of panels if necessary. So each mount point needs to only hold that column's weight. (Actually slightly less) so what's the breaking strength of those rigging points? You mentioned it's a thick material. How thick, and how close is the hang point to the edge?

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I made my P10 connectors from wood (not as nice) the ones on the edge I made extend 3/8" past the edge of panel. This allowed me to cut/route a grove in the wood enclosure to mount the whole assembly solidly minimizing the need for other hardware. It would be nice to have an option to have those connecting pieces extend to fit in a slot in enclosure. See photo.

David, I can add another T that goes on the side with a hangar hole like the ones at the top. Then you could have mounting holes that extend beyond the panel to mount to a frame at every seam of the matrix.

James

Do you have a feel for how big of a matrix these brackets will handle. I see that you can put a hang point bracket between each pair of panels if necessary. So each mount point needs to only hold that column's weight. (Actually slightly less) so what's the breaking strength of those rigging points? You mentioned it's a thick material. How thick, and how close is the hang point to the edge?

--Jon Chuchla--

Jon,

The connectors I have made are 1/4" thick and are very robust. As far as how big can you go, Not sure yet. I can say that the 20 panels I have connected together are nothing for one person to handle the complete panel and flip it over and spin around without any additional reinforcement. I think as you go bigger the hardest part is flipping the panel over and getting it into its design orientation. You may need a extra hand for a big matrix. It's like a truss, laying down flat it has minimal structural qualities as you rotate it up it begins to work. I can easily support this entire panel from just the center hanger at the top.

James

I'm no stranger to large led walls. I typically hang them from box truss with 2 ton chain motors. I'm hanging an 18x32' wall in a few weeks for an event from a pair of telehandlers. (Those are those long reach forklift machines)
My line of questions goes to whether your line of accessories can make for a solid, low-budget video wall assembly.

--Jon Chuchla--

So I went and weighed my 4 wide by 5 tall matrix. It is 22 pounds. If you were going to hang it from the top 5 only 4.4 pounds of force would be exerted on each one of those hangers. That is including the power supply and BBB. No power or ribbon cables added yet. So that being said we can support a lot of panel with the clips.

James

I'm no stranger to large led walls. I typically hang them from box truss with 2 ton chain motors. I'm hanging an 18x32' wall in a few weeks for an event from a pair of telehandlers. (Those are those long reach forklift machines)
My line of questions goes to whether your line of accessories can make for a solid, low-budget video wall assembly.

--Jon Chuchla--

Yes, they could be used to make a massive LED wall. Since you have the Box trusses, we could clamp right on to it just like we are clamping to the EMT. You know they clamp stage lighting to those box trusses all the time so this could fit right in. If I need to make a custom plate to work with exist lighting clamps you have I could.

James

The only reason I'm skeptical is because I've never seen plastic used for rigging. It's almost always steel or heavy aluminum. Though given that plastics are very homogenous, I would expect their ratings to be rather predictable as well. You've peaked my interest. We use a 5:1 ratio for rigging hardware. That means the working load limit (WLL) is 1/5 of the breaking strength. I think I'm going to order some just to break them. I have access to the test rigs for this and I'm plenty curious.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sounds good if you look at the picture there are no screws or mounting holes the quarter inch piece of plywood fits into a slot and locks the panel in

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

The only reason I'm skeptical is because I've never seen plastic used for rigging. It's almost always steel or heavy aluminum. Though given that plastics are very homogenous, I would expect their ratings to be rather predictable as well. You've peaked my interest. We use a 5:1 ratio for rigging hardware. That means the working load limit (WLL) is 1/5 of the breaking strength. I think I'm going to order some just to break them. I have access to the test rigs for this and I'm plenty curious.

--Jon Chuchla--

Jon,

I'll send you a few to tear up!. It's the least I can do for you and all you have done for this community. You even bailed me out of a funk a few years ago.

I can make this a little more interesting. I can have these made out of aluminum if they really need to be bullet proof. For that application I might suggest a series of plates that are say 3' long and you stagger the joints so that if you do have a failure it isn't catastrophic. I could even make a connector for those longer plates so you have a continuous bar from top to bottom. I am more worried about the P10 panel failing over the connector plates.

James

Sounds good if you look at the picture there are no screws or mounting holes the quarter inch piece of plywood fits into a slot and locks the panel in

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

David,

I envision a frame made like a door frame. The door jamb is thicker on the front side to trim out the panel and back is thinner with a rabbit type cut that allows you to screw the panel to that bump out from the back.

James

You have a good point. I hadn't thought about that. This design uses the frame of the P10 panel to carry the load from joint to joint. That's definitely the limiting factor here.
For reference: Most of the professional video wall systems use a full frame mounting system where a number of panels (generally around 50mm square) are fixed to a frame and the frames attach to each other. In these designs, the panels themselves don't bear any weight.

--Jon Chuchla--

David, I can add another T that goes on the side with a hangar hole like the ones at the top. Then you could have mounting holes that extend beyond the panel to mount to a frame at every seam of the matrix.

This will also be good for those who mount their panels vertically, say in a 18" or 30" wide matrix. It might also be good to have the option to do this for the "L" brackets for the same scenarios or so you could have a 6" wide column of panels turned on their side.

Jon,

You know the LED wall is huge but in reality, it is only 220+/- pounds of P10 panels. That breaks down to less than 7 pounds on each hanger. Figure 32 panels tall spread over 33 hanging points with each panel at .22 pounds. Put power supplies on the trusses.

Well, Carpola. My panels only have 6 barrel inserts and are missing the critical portions that you have designed against. Looks like I will have to do this differently...

image1(1).jpg

Really pleased with the first run of Matrix Maker connectors. I bumped the thickness of the material up just to over engineer the plates. I have also redesigned a few things and planned ahead for a future reinforcement system. For most matrix sizes you will not need a reinforcement, the connectors are plenty strong enough.

You will see in the pictures a lot of machining is put into these plates for a clean professional install. The stainless machine screws are recessed into the plates and I'm extremely proud of how the Power Plate turned out with the integrated BBB mount.

Take a look:

Basic parts
FC264C60-C6D8-4F8D-8D60-9A9B08CCA2CE_zpsixd9xhs2.jpg

Power Plate
0EC1A442-75B4-42B9-9599-6B45FB1643B1_zpsmbekn6e6.jpg

4 wide by 5 tall matrix
DD4712A5-7EBC-4130-A1D5-05AFBFEE69CD_zpssloqxohy.jpg

Pricing is going to be roughly as follows:

The "L" or corner brackets with or without the hanger hole $2.00 for the pair
42296720-390C-445E-81D7-8B2D5C6F4D93_zpskrrfwb7a.jpg

814079A7-99E8-4E1F-AB2A-BC7E83033F8E_zpszxsu0oxy.jpg

The "T" for vertical or horizontal applications with or without the hanger hole $2.00
CE818D0C-9659-42D6-AD79-002C24034641_zpstazakifn.jpg

DCCD2844-22C3-455C-B475-32931DCBF55B_zpsov1xhfpp.jpg

27262B29-91FD-45D6-8AD2-9CB7CD5CB41A_zpsfadu30pp.jpg

The "X" or center connector $2.50
C2CA6CC5-1352-4B20-BEAE-30B4BFB05E5E_zpsureb2sj8.jpg

The Power Plate $7.00
40CFC010-5D9F-4C61-BF5D-500C0880028B_zpsnnfts9oh.jpg

So you can buy the Matrix Maker connectors (29 connectors) to build a 4 wide by 5 tall panel for $67.00 including the required stainless hardware.

These Matrix Maker connectors work with the current P10 panels being sold by Ray Wu. The P10 panels have 10 total M3 brass inserts. There are some other panels that have only 8 of the inserts. I have not confirmed the spacing yet for those panels. I have a couple panels being sent to me to work with and either adapt these connectors or make a new set for that style panel.

Thanks,
James

Well, Carpola. My panels only have 6 barrel inserts and are missing the critical portions that you have designed against. Looks like I will have to do this differently...

View attachment 29519

All is not lost! I took out the screws where you are missing the inserts and the panel still works. There is a thread at Falcon Christmas in the Beagle Bones thread where we have discussed this even further.

Basically, a quick work around I cam up with was to simply drill out the hole on my plates with a 1/4" drill bit. Then take a #10 machine bolt 1/2" long and just screw it into the insert-less hole and it will make its own threads. All of the other inserts do line up with my connectors. Another member sent me two panels to work with for testing and designing.

James

There you go, pulling victory from the jaws of defeat again! Good news. Now to get them on your site so we can order... :thup2:

Back