Video for newbies on how to use Vixen

Re: Fantastic

tonypgst said:
This is just what this noob needed! Thank you for taking the time to help others. I'm getting more and more confident in this endeavor. 2008 will be my first try at this. It is the hard work of everyone who posts here that keeps me saying I can do this myself.

Regards,

Chin up, we commonly have folks how have never held a soldering iron before, from non technical backgrounds who do just fine with a little help from others.

Well all, after the addition of #17 in the first post, I think I'm done with Vixen how-to videos for now, I can't think of anything you'd need at the moment. So let me know if we need to add to this. I'm calling it done for now.

Dave I gotta just say that this is probably the most informative thing I've seen in pouring over the many different websites, forums and posts!!

I dabbled around with Vixen for days and I have no idea how long it wouold have taken me to learn those shortcuts and tricks on my own!

these vids have done 2 things for me, gave me the confidence to do DIY and put me in the direction of the XMUS Renard 16 board. Seeing how you set them up and actually seeing the awesome enclosures you made (both the BillAd design and your Bazooka) really gives me something to work towards.

thanks SO much!!

now I need to get in on those co-ops!

I need to watch through them again, but is there any special setup that needs to be done in vixen when you are daisy chaining these boards? I saw you had 5 on each com, but I didn't see if there was anything that needed to be done to each board in the chain to let it know what channel each one represented. Probably a dumb noob question.

Neil

muttley said:
Dave I gotta just say that this is probably the most informative thing I've seen in pouring over the many different websites, forums and posts!!

I dabbled around with Vixen for days and I have no idea how long it wouold have taken me to learn those shortcuts and tricks on my own!

these vids have done 2 things for me, gave me the confidence to do DIY and put me in the direction of the XMUS Renard 16 board. Seeing how you set them up and actually seeing the awesome enclosures you made (both the BillAd design and your Bazooka) really gives me something to work towards.

thanks SO much!!

now I need to get in on those co-ops!

I need to watch through them again, but is there any special setup that needs to be done in vixen when you are daisy chaining these boards? I saw you had 5 on each com, but I didn't see if there was anything that needed to be done to each board in the chain to let it know what channel each one represented. Probably a dumb noob question.

Neil

I'm pleased you like the videos Neil.

The controllers have no idea where they are on the serial chain, or on which com port they are on. They are dumb. You just configure vixen and hook up the CAT5 cable, any controller will work anywhere on the chain. Does that help? So for example, the first controller on com1 is ch1-ch16, because it is FIRST (not because you program the controller to be ch1-ch16) and the second controller is ch17-32 because it is SECOND (Again it is dumb, it just listens for serial data). It is the _ORDER_ of the controllers that determines channel number.

xmus said:
The controllers have no idea where they are on the serial chain, or on which com port they are on. They are dumb. You just configure vixen and hook up the CAT5 cable, any controller will work anywhere on the chain. Does that help? So for example, the first controller on com1 is ch1-ch16, because it is FIRST (not because you program the controller to be ch1-ch16) and the second controller is ch17-32 because it is SECOND (Again it is dumb, it just listens for serial data). It is the _ORDER_ of the controllers that determines channel number.

you know I figured it had to be something so beautifully simple!

seriously the time and effort you put into these are the reason I'm going DIY. They were amazing helpful.

If you ever find yourself in Texas or I find myself in Idaho...the Burgers and Beers (Root or any other variety) are on me. :D

xmus, thank you very much for the tut.. clears up a lot.. Like the others, I was doing the waveform analysis and plotting the on/offs to the actual music.. long, tedious..

Thanks

teege

Quick question. If I understand correctly I assume that the ramp on - off, shimmer etc functions won't work with the Grinch controller? You would need to have a controller that dims?
Cheers, Terry

Thank you so much for these!!! I will be watching them all several times over the next year!! It sometimes blows my mind how friendly and helpful all of you "experts" are on this board.
Thanks again.

Re: Video for nebies on how to use Vixen

xmus said:
The purpose of this multi-part video tutorial is to help folks find, install, and use Vixen.

Xmus, thanks so much for making these videos! You saved me many hours of trying to figure Vixen out.

Later. . . . . . .. Brad

Quick question after watching the very informative videos....

When you assign the beat track to a channel, is that channel not useable for lighting then?

Superfreak3 said:

When you assign the beat track to a channel, is that channel not useable for lighting then?

you could setup multiple tracks to different instruments. Like in WIW I have a piano beat track and a "drums" track and I sync my trees windows etc to what I want. according to the track

Ben

Superfreak3 said:

When you assign the beat track to a channel, is that channel not usable for lighting then?
You can make the beat track any channel, even a channel you do not have anything connected to. It is just a reference. If you do hook up something to it then it will just turn on with the beat.

If you are real good with your fingers you can make multiple beat tracks while listening to the music just by hitting a different number on the keyboard. You can also assign different channels to the numbers if you wanted to.

Lets keep this thread on topic. Any specific questions should be in their own thread in the appropriate forum.

Re: Video for nebies on how to use Vixen

XMUS thanks for the videos im sure they will greatly help this new guy.

scott

Back